One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stonewall Jackson
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Hampshire Continental 1779​

Offered here is a New Hampshire Continental Dressed in the 1779 'Board of War' recommendation. The New England Regiments ( New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut) were to have white facings as per the regulations. Due to financial shortages the whole Continental Army did not receive these new uniforms.

Many of the 1779 uniform recommendations still were not in effect until late 1780 early 1781. By December 1782 the American Army went through another uniform change, this saw the whole Army dressed in Blue Uniforms with all Red facings, however, the New England Regiments continued using the White facings into 1784.​

Head sculpt - Ebay purchase, repainted.
Body - DML, padding added to legs.
Coat - SOTW, (Soldiers of the World) Formative International, customized with White Facings.
Pants - Sideshow.
Shoes - Sideshow.
Musket - Sideshow.
Accouterments - Kitbashed Belts and straps.
Tricorn - Customised out of Felt, with added trim and cockade.​

R&R​

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
He's a Regular all right, and looks fit for the fight. Outstanding job on the ensemble.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Not often you see figures from this era, and this one is as fine as any. Great job, surprising what a bit of work can do to spruce up a figure.

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,207 Posts
Very nice , and so nice to see figures from this period : I'm staggered there aren't more around , given that this is an American forum.
Just seen that you have entered him in the OSS comp , so I'd better shut up.

·
Stonewall Jackson
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Posted in response to Tony's pre-edited reference to an inappropriate head sculpt.

Thank you Tony for the 'heads up'...no pun intended. Personally, I feel that Clothing Warrants/regulations issued by War departments throughout history are at best guidelines. The belief that soldiers dressed and presented themselves as per text book regulations, is somewhat of an idealized view. Case in point these regulations called for 88,480 Uniform suits in May of 1779 - but only a mere 10,000 could be afforded, and that supply did not reach the Army until late 1780 early 1781.

For many years whilst studying the Napoleonic Wars I could never accept the romanticized view of the soldiers appearance as portrayed in uniform books. Maybe that was a contributing factor that drew me to the American Civil War, a much better awareness to the soldiers apparel and the difficult business of trying to regulate an Armies appearance. Thankfully we have left the days when everyone portrayed a Confederate in a slouch hat and Federal in a kepi.

We are sorry you feel the head is inappropriate.

However, we are very pleased with the figure, and as a 'representation' of the intended historical figure in our opinion it is quite accurate.

R&R

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,207 Posts
I shouldn't have commented on this thread at all ,since I am judging the OSS comp., but I came here before going to OSS this morning and seeing your entry . Since I don't know how to remove the post entirely all I could do was edit it.
My sincere apologies , I hope I haven't compromised my self or your entry.

On the general subject of authenticity , of course we all have our own ideas. My studies over many years have led me to a couple of observations , however ; A new hairstyle or whatever cannot exist outside of its own time frame , since people's appearance can only be based on what is usual or fashionable in their own time.

Imagine the Punk hairstyles before they were invented : they couldn't happen earlier than they did , because no-one had pioneered wearing them. Modern communications can spread the idea very quickly : in the past it was slower , and communities were much smaller and more conservative, and all the information we have from contemporary art tells us that people conformed to whatever was the norm at their time and place . Eccentricities in appearance were remarked on because they were so rare.
Group conformity is the norm : just look at any bunch of teenagers .

Soldiers fashions follow the same rules : they wear what is expected and available, not what we can fancy they might wear , save in the direst emergencies. Soldiers on the frontiers in the 18th century , or on campaign in Spain in 1812 , might not be able to shave for weeks. As soon as they have the opportunity , they shave , because that is part of their whole usual self-image.
Antway , enough from me !

·
Stonewall Jackson
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Tony for your view. A great subject for a debate in a purely historical sense, something historians have done many times over the years. However, this neither the right place or best place for such a debate.

Thanks again to all those who have posted on the topic. Hopefully it makes a change to all the more modern topics.

R&R

P.S I take it we will not win Cat. 2 !!!!!! in the competition :fit

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
Very nice , and so nice to see figures from this period : I'm staggered there aren't more around , given that this is an American forum.
Just seen that you have entered him in the OSS comp , so I'd better shut up.
Dude
there just isn't enough loose gear from this era out there
it's just that simple...... me thinks
i wish i had your custom god-like abilities...... i'm sure we'd all start going
'nuts on other eras of history as well.........

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The dearth of uniforms means tracking down SOTW and Sideshow figures and/or materials like Stonewall and others have done, or "rolling your own", also done by Stonewall, LG2, Tony Barton, ArtyAndy, and quite a few others. It's also a challenge that transcends genres, periods, and nationalities.

Which is why all such works are so impressive.

·
God Bless America
1,532 Posts
Wow, he looks awesome!!! Excellent use of gear. Hard to believe that's a SOTW coat! :eek
Great job! :thumb Thanks for sharing. :)

Another era that, it would seem, has been left to the customizers to fully cover. SOTW put out quite a bit of stuff from the American Revolutionary War back in "the day" ('90s), more than I knew about at the time. Their stuff is very useable, as I showed with my Pirates and Stonewall-Jackson shows here, and when you can find it, most of the time it's cheap to buy. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.