One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the new excellent Frontline Indy head sculpts, but its causing me a headache trying to paint it. I've painted litterally 60+ heads no issues, but this one. Keep on getting these translucent ridges i the detailling. Tried undercoats, thick paint, thin paint coats......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:mad:mad

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Gooseman, if you post some pics of your Indy head we'll see what's been happening and will be more able to suggest fixes.

How did the resin feel before you painted it? It's possible that there was some mould release agent still on the sculpt. When dealing with resin before, I was always instructed to wash it thorougly before painting. But I'm just guessing here as to whether that had anything to do with your issues.

CHEERS!

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
Gooseman, if you post some pics of your Indy head we'll see what's been happening and will be more able to suggest fixes.

How did the resin feel before you painted it? It's possible that there was some mould release agent still on the sculpt. When dealing with resin before, I was always instructed to wash it thorougly before painting. But I'm just guessing here as to whether that had anything to do with your issues.

CHEERS!
Ditto, paint won't adhere if there's mold release present. SOP for any resin casting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Indy issues

I do not use any release agents on my molds. They will distort the castings ever so slightly and as mentioned they will leave a residue on the cast that interferes with painting.

Having said that, it is rule #1 for all resin painters regardless of the source to wash your pieces with soap and water thoroughly. I like to use a medium bristle toothbrush to work the crevices and deep areas like ears, corners of the eyes and around the hair line. Then repeat with a clean toothbrush and just plain running water to ensure all soap is removed. Finally let the piece sit and dry normally overnight to ensure complete dryness.

The material used on the Indy is different in a lot of ways beyond the obvious. It is considerably stronger than the traditional resin so any shelf diving it might encounter it will survive with no damage. It sands and polishes like glass for those who like to do slight alterations. One issue I have noticed with it though which may account for some painting concerns is that unlike traditional resin, it can absorb oil from your skin if handled too much prior to painting. I had one test piece in a box for a while and everyone who had seen it had been handling it quite a bit. A few weeks later I went to paint it and the paint had some issues near the ears and top of the head where most of the handling took place. That was the only conclusion I could come up with.

So... if you wash the piece well and then prime lightly you should have no issues at all.

Lonnie
TK570
H2Creative

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys. Lonnie - no disrespect at all to your TOP work, and quiet plainly from the responses something I am doing wrong. But with 60+ heads under my belt, never had this issue before, and the other two done with this one have come out fine. Anyhow, I will try, try, and try again!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well certainly I will stand behind my products completely.

If there is something wrong with it chemically etc that it is simply refusing paint then I will replace it for you.

If you need to, just e-mail me and I'll take care of it.

And please don't think I was making any comment whatsoever about your ability or experience. I was simply trying to make a blanket statement on the topic.

I have not had anyone return any of the new material pieces and just wanted to make sure you knew it was not an issue with the material in general.

Lonnie
Tk570
H2Creative

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys - Lonnie has always been, and will always be the MAN. I just needed a straw pole on an odd exerpience, and hoping I have found the problem (my greasy fingers!!! Opps). Will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help, and especially to you Lonnie.You continue to produce top sculpts, I'll keep buying them!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts