One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
irish, i may be wrong, i usually am, but isn't this rifle and scope combo more Pacific theatre? I thought the long scope was unique to the Marines in the PTO.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
well, i can finally make an e.t.o. sniper,whenis this baby due?
This looks like a straight rehash of the DML Springfield released with the Alan figure... and unfortunately, the Unertl scope was used pretty exclusively by the Marines and hence in the PTO only. Army ETO snipers used a Weaver scope. The Unertl scope was showcased in SPR, but not really accurate.

And speaking of accuracy, this version of the Springfield needs some modification to make it even accurate for a PTO version.

The scoped versions were the M1903A3/A4 and the upper receiver had a longer wood covering where the rear iron leaf sight was located. Also, the front iron sight would be removed.

There is a member at SAG going by the handle M1903 that is probably the foremost expert I have run across in 1/6 land. I learned most of what I know from him and finally got it close with this Springfield (A3) with Weaver 73B1 scope, which I made from scratch. In very, very late WWII in the ETO, the M84 scope, like the one from the Korea Jack figure, was possibly available in the ETO. However, it's availability was pretty much after Germany was done or had officially surrendered.

I was really hoping to see a 73B1 Weaver scope come out someday, but it doesn't look good.

Following is a post on SAG when I posted my modified DML Alan Springfield that shows the differences of the standard M1903 and the scoped versions.

JTFazz said:
Okay, I have made some modifications to the Springfield and repainted the scope and mount.

I want to thank the aptly nicknamed M1903 for his reference pics on the M1903A3 he sent me to help in making the weapon modifications.

It still has a few little things that are different from the A3, but they are beyond my skill to further modify.

In addition to the scope, which I scratch-built from styrene, the weapon mods are (illustrated in the photoshop modified DML image) shown in the bottom photo:

1. Elimination of the front sight (for scoped weapons)
2. Reshaping of the stock
3. Additional "wood" on the top receiver and removal of thus elimination of the leaf sight.
4. Filled notch from Alan scope

All that is left is some fine tuning of the paint job.

·
Old Jarhead
516 Posts
At least it's a movement in a nice direction as far as diecast/wooden weapons go. But it's too bad that errors continue to be made when they've been discussed so much within the WWII 1/6th community and theres no lack of reference material available. :fit

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Boy, you guys can be hard. However, you do learn in the process. Just went back and took a look at my old DML Alan and no notice the differences to which you speak. I also could compare the quality of the DML rifle v.s. ZYTOYS and DML is much better. Not very impress with the sling either. Think, I may have to pass on this one. However, if you are in the market for a 1903 and can't find one, this is the way to go.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
I was very excited when I saw the title of this thread... until I saw the weapon. But I give them credit for trying to release a gear set with decent stuff in it. The sling isn't all that bad and the M1928 ammo belt looks to offer nothing new over the DML version.

The worst thing about this release is that it is a copy of previous release with already-glaring flaws... please someone have a smidgen of original thought when doing something like this. I just wonder if someone was just sitting around one day, saw a few loose items from the Alan figure and said to himself, "Let's do a crappy copy of this inaccurate gear and sell it."

But, Stall Stuff is correct; if you want a Springfield, snap it up...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts