One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, for months now, I have been working on a custom Batman figure. Thing is, my sculpted cowl shows none of Batman's "anger," and the figure shows the joints (I'm using a Max Steel figure). I want to scrap it all and go to work on a new body. I would like a Batman Begins style custom. I also can't buy the gorgeous Takara figure.

I think I am going to create a combination of the two batsuits found at the link below, with the suit being mainly like the Batman Begins one.

My ideas:

-Use a new Dragon-like figure and use 1/6-scale chainmail as a sort of suit covering most of the body.
-Use apoxie or some other self-hardening material to form the chest, arm, and leg pieces and the bat symbol. Just cut the pieces out of the clay and stick them on the chainmail with glue. In the end, only some of the chainmail will actually show up.
-Probably sculpt my own cowl; custom ones are ridiculously expensive.
-I will somehow custom build my own gauntlets; I already have 1/6 motorcross boots for the figure.
-Paint everything a dull licorice color.

Any suggestions or tips?

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/batsuit.jpg

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I'll play devils advocate and suggest to you the Hot Toys body, its sold as a carded or as loose figure from many of the dealers on board, and its close to the posability of the Takara male body. You may want to shave a little off the shoulders, but it doesn't need a lot of mods.

I'd go with the first costume, but with the cowl on the second one, where Batman actually has a NECK :p Though I'll miss the "bat-turn" from when he didn't, I think for your figure, having that articulation would be better than not.

One thing Callous and Reggie did on their outstanding HALO Master Chief and Gears of War Marcus Fenix figures, respectively, was to wrap the figure's body in saran wrap [in your case, the chainmail clad figure wrapped in saran wrap] on which they'd sculpt the armour with apoxie, so that it would have a good fit once cured. Maybe it'd be of use to you if you aren't already planning it.

Where are you going to get this chainmail? Making it?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm not too worried about articulation; I more worried about verisimilitude. I'm buying chainmail from the following links.

http://www.thebattlerhino.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=
TBR&Product_Code=DKBC&Category_Code=DOE

http://www.thebattlerhino.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=
TBR&Product_Code=LACMI&Category_Code=DOE

I'll paint it black. Also, I'll cut the "skirt" in certain places to make it cover the legs and provide an actual crotch. To get the suit, I'm going to have to cut the chainmail to make it look like one piece.

For the saran wrap idea, would I just take the apoxie pieces off the saran wrap, which will be covering the body, and then glue them onto the body later on?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saiko said:
I'll play devils advocate and suggest to you the Hot Toys body, its sold as a carded or as loose figure from many of the dealers on board, and its close to the posability of the Takara male body. You may want to shave a little off the shoulders, but it doesn't need a lot of mods.

I'd go with the first costume, but with the cowl on the second one, where Batman actually has a NECK :p Though I'll miss the "bat-turn" from when he didn't, I think for your figure, having that articulation would be better than not.

One thing Callous and Reggie did on their outstanding HALO Master Chief and Gears of War Marcus Fenix figures, respectively, was to wrap the figure's body in saran wrap [in your case, the chainmail clad figure wrapped in saran wrap] on which they'd sculpt the armour with apoxie, so that it would have a good fit once cured. Maybe it'd be of use to you if you aren't already planning it.

Where are you going to get this chainmail? Making it?
Thanks so much for the tips. For the body, I'm not too worried about articulation. With the saran wrap and Apoxie, would I just take the chest pieces off when I was done sculpting and then glue them onto the chainmail body?

I'll be buying pieces of chainmail from the following link. I will cut and "sew" them accordingly to make one suit. I'm thinking of using the body that comes with the suit; it will fit for sure. Also, do you think I should sculpt my head? Pre-made ones that are detailed are expensive, but I also am not the best at sculpting. It might come out good if I spend enough time on it.

Thanks again for the advice.

http://www.thebattlerhino.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=
PROD&Store_Code=TBR&Product_Code=DKBC&Category_Code=DOE

http://www.thebattlerhino.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=
PROD&Store_Code=TBR&Product_Code=LACMI&Category_Code=DOE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.