One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monkey Depot finally got the first of the Three Zero Three Toys horses and sent my pre-ordered one right out. Unaware they would be selling just the horse (now available in black and brown), I ordered the first one, which comes with a Chinese saddle and bridle. Here are some comparison pics I took with a DML and a Marx horse. It is closer to the Marx horse in size, though a bit longer, much wider and overall more heavily built.

Here he is compared just to the Marx Thunderbolt.

The muscular detail, especially in his haunches and shoulders, leaves something to be desired. The hooves, as others noticed, are rather large, but not terribly out of proportion to his heavier legs. There is no detail at all in the bottom of the hoof, or where it meets the leg. The head has some limited motion - very slightly up and down, and it twists more to adjust the angle. The joint is partly hidden by how the mane is laid, and shouldn't be too noticible under a bridle and/or halter. The mane and tail can't be modified too much. The tail seems to have a padded piece under the hair to keep it full.

Here is part of the manual that it comes with. It shows that you can slightly reposition the legs after heating with a hair dryer - to balance him better.

Finally, here is a view of the tack. I don't have much use for it if anyone wants to trade.

Overall, I like them. With not much to chose from in the way of horses, this one can be used right out of the box, or modified without too much problem. I would buy another.
If you have any specific questions or need another pic, I will try to help.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Wonderful post, nicely done, thank you. I (and a lot of others) are very curious about new horses that may come along. It's great and it's efficient that right at the same time as your initial review, you take us directly into the follow-up area of how it compares to previous "standards" like the DML and Marx.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Huge improvement over the Marx horse......more proportional....not crazy about the muscle lines on the quarters and flanks or the jaw joint though.....

Great photo comparison! :thumb

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mark... Thanks for the update and review. I'm eagerly awaiting my preorder as well. Glad it it closer to the Marx size which is what I had hoped for. I've got some a Union Cavalry looking to go track down some Rebs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Huge improvement over the Marx horse......more proportional....not crazy about the muscle lines on the quarters and flanks or the jaw joint though.....

You've got to give the Marx horse some credit considering it came out almost 50 years ago. Overall it's aged very well in its usefulness for today's 1/6 scale.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
You've got to give the Marx horse some credit considering it came out almost 50 years ago. Overall it's aged very well in its usefulness for today's 1/6 scale.
The Marx horses were limited by the technology of 50 years ago, but they had something we can't imagine now - the strength from the marketplace volume of being able to put them out in basic Woolworts, K-Marts, department stores all over.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
You've got to give the Marx horse some credit considering it came out almost 50 years ago. Overall it's aged very well in its usefulness for today's 1/6 scale
They should get the same credit as any old figures get in this hobby......I don't need to tell you how much credit that is......:wink

·
Registered
631 Posts
Those odd grooves look like places where the legs have been attached. When 303 revealed these new horses, you could see that they weren't all posed identically. Using one body and different legs for different releases would explain that. Anyway, a little putty, a little paint...

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
Thanks for the comparisons.
The way the legs join the body is not convincing, I'm afraid , and neither is the immense crease across the haunches.
The dear old Marx stands up after all these years and has great conversion potential : I think I have rebuilt about six now.
But I don't see any real advantage with this new one, apart from the increase in bulk . But it's always good to have more horses about .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my 2 horses in. one black one brown.

According to the directions you can SLIGHTLY repose one hind leg using heat and then hold in place while it cools. NOT going to try that, main reason being that the leg they show doing that 2 is one of the ones that comes flat on the ground.

Also according to the directions you can move the head a little (there is separation to imply movement). I tried a lot of hairdryer heat and could not get the head to budge.

The faux/fun fur hair is o.k. but will probably replace with waving wool or saran.

I got these because the DID are always too much esp with shipping and any older Marx or other horses would require too much work.

I'm happy with the look but then I am not a horse expert and once they are all geared up any "flaws" won't be noticeable.

But would really like to hear from any one who successfully gets the head to move. I emailed 303 but don't know when or if I will hear back.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dolenmiriel, the head on mine pivots quite a bit and pops right off. You can see the joint along the back of the cheek in the close-ups. Mine has a large off-set ball joint that it rotates on (this being the red horse that comes with the saddle. Don't know if the black and brown ones are built different.)
Also, it's been pointed out that the hooves are rather large. I think they did this for stability.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Odd that no one has asked how much these "new" horses are.....so I'll ask....how much?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got mine pre-ordered thru Monkey Depot for ~$95. They and Cotswald have the black & brown horses without the Chinese saddle for ~$80. Just do a search for "Horse" on whoever you prefer to do business with.

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts

Nah, I'd disagree, I think the Marx horse is far more conformationally accurate. (if you ignore the feet - those pasterns make me cringe!)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts