One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten back to work on my 1/6th stuff,I finished the garage finally and wanted to get started on my street scene,but I just didn't have any room to work, I've been called a hoarder by many people,but the way I see it if it's something I might use down the road then it's not hoarding. This end of my trailer was once my HO scale railroad layout,but because I couldn't keep it a constant temperature years round the tracks kept ripping themselves off the road base,then my arthritis got so bad that I couldn't do the really tiny retail work that I used to do,so I sold off my 1/87 stuff and bought 1/6th, so I have all this table top to set up dioramas on,but I suffer from a severe case of "flat space phenomenon" that's when any flat space around you automatically becomes covered in stuff! Ever since I drug this trailer home almost 20 years ago it has been filling up,so I started by cleaning out under the table and throwing away a bunch of stuff,I was going to build shelves under it but the thought of bending down to find stuff made my back hurt so I decided I would put in a big drawer!
The little town that I live in has what they call the "limb pile",it's supposed to be for grass clippings and tree branches and there is a big sign that says so,but of coarse the idiots can read so a lot of garbage ends up there as well,it's also where I get all my firewood, and while I'm looking for firewood I look to see what building materials I can use,everything I used today right down to the sinker screws came from the limb pile,the drawer is 6 feet long 2 feet wide and 6 inches deep,mostly I needed some place to store all my building materials,I like to build prototypical so when I build I cut actual dimentional lumber,I also got all my bricks in there and some piping and other building stuff,plus I still have storage on the floor for bigger stuff.
There is a trailer court in town that just changed hands,the lady that bought it is trying to run out some of the worst of the tenets and when she does she wants to get rid of a couple of the trailers so I'm hoping to pick another small one I can stick behind mine and use it for more storage and diorama space!

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
693 Posts
I suffer from flat space phenomenon too. My solution is to not try clearing a flat surface until I have something ready to immediately place on it. Otherwise it just gets covered up with more clutter. I like your idea of a big drawer rather than shelves.

I used to work in smaller scales too but my eyes are failing and my hands aren't so steady anymore. I can barely manage 1:6 these days. I have to stay away from projects that are too intricate and I hate trying to do paint jobs.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find 1/6th to be a nice compromise between the really small stuff and the really big stuff I used to do,I restored a WW2 M-2 half-track and built several other vehicles over the years,but my body won't allow that big stuff anymore,and like you said between the eyes and the hands the small stuff doesn't work either,but I'm not ready to sit in front of the idiot box all day either!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,926 Posts
DISCLAIMER: MILD PROFANITY | RATED PG-13

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
George had a great way of pointing out the stupidity of the world!
I spent a couple hours tonight clearing off the table tops,I tried to be realistic about saving stuff,if I thought there was never a chance of me using it,it went into the trash,I filled a 30 gallon can! But I also found a bunch of stuff that I can list on ebay this winter! I have decided I need to build a couple more drawers,one for plastic sheet and at least one more for plastic shapes,tubing,angles and other pieces that I find come in handy when you are scratch building,once I get down to my actual work bench section I'll probably have to build a couple more!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made another run by the limb pile today because a friend of mine called to let me know there were a bunch of pallets down there,I don't need them but I have good friends that run a rock business and they are always needing pallets. As always I looked around to see what other usable materials I could find,someone tossed a busted up two drawer dresser,there was only one good drawer but it was pretty good sized and the sides of the dresser with the slides was there,so I drug it all home and mounted it under my work bench section,it's perfect size for storing all my sheet styrene,you can see a couple of my other projects,my Mercedes touring car and my narrow gauge diesel I'm going to build! All of this was my model train layout at one time! And a shot from the other angle so you can see how much junk I still need to find places for!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts