One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple months ago I purchased 10 different head sculpts to go with Phicen bodies, only 5 of them fit properly, the rest are either too short or too tall that leave a gap between the head & neck. Out of those 5, only 4 have matching skin tone (KT004, KT005, KT007, and one random). It was a nightmare for me. As of today, there's plenty of new head sculpt on the market but I'm not sure which one to buy. Asking the seller for an in-hand picture is almost impossible, most refused.

So unless there's already a thread dedicated to this. I'd like to propose that we create one for custom head sculpt that have matching skin tone/ fit properly with Phicen. A list with name, item #, and couple of in-hand pictures, everyone can helps contribute, and benefit from this list. What do you guys think?

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
The idea is good in principle, perhaps some sort of Wiki- or google-type database that multiple contributors could share to update. I don't know how that could be set up.

Something that might help you both in principle and particular, would be to post photos and whatever info (name, maker, etc) you happen to have for each of the unmatching head sculpts. There is a decent chance someone on here has one or more of these and one or more of the Phicen (or also Jiaou) bodies to compare and advise you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The matching game is part of the hobby. As you mentioned, it’s not just colour but also proportion and transition.

Perception is another issue. Not everyone agrees what matches. It’s also easy to blend colours to match through photography given different lighting conditions and perspectives. Usually, the body and head are made of different materials and/or paints/dyes/pigments that reflect light differently,sometimes radically differently between two types of lighting. Realism is also a factor. Most people have a slightly darker head in real life simply due to greater exposure to the sun. Some people are ok with ‘close enough’. Some want it to be exact.

It’s ultimately subjective.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With the heads being too high above the neck, you may be able to remove the little socket inside the head (the cylinder-thing removed from the headsculpt in the picture below - I don't know what they're really called) and shave off the top of it. Then you can test it and then when it looks good, you can super glue it back in! I've had to do this with a couple of KT004 sculpts.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
FWIW, I have a dedicated album for all the headsculpts I get (male or female, though the latter is the overwhelming majority). I've taken to posting the newer entries with little signs indicating what body they're mounted on, after a few too many sessions where I did multiple shots to check matches and then forgot which body was which while posting them. It's not complete by any means, but if I happen to have it, it'll be there, and I'd be happy to contribute whatever I have in there for anything focused on it that ends up living here.

I'm also part of a Facebook group that's aiming to be a dedicated resource of "perfect matches" with photographic evidence and nothing else, though it's in the nacent stages at the moment.

There's also a combinations problem with trying to be complete about this. Beyond the "old darker suntan/new lighter suntan" skin tone problem, the height of the neck peg of each Phicen body is every so slightly different from the others. My Fire Red Rose sits a little too high on an S10D (large-bust standard) but fits perfectly on an S22A (mid-bust muscular). Some Kimi and Play Toys heads I have sit fine on an S12D (large bust standard) but look too low on other bodies. Even Phicen's own recent heads can sit too high or too low on a body other than the one they shipped with. Overall, the standard large-bust bodies seem to have the highest neck pegs, and the newer mid-bust bodies (S16A/S17B and S22A/S23B) have the lowest. The S20A/S21B (large-bust muscular) is a little lower than the large-bust bodies. I end up either switching heads or playing games with hair and head/camera angles to hide any gaps, which can be a pain but just seems to be part of the game these days. Not even considering the slight differences in head sculpt size that make some heads look too large or too small on certain body types.

·
2,105 Posts
Thanks for sharing that album, edwick! It is both a useful resource and a very impressive collection. If you happen to read this, what was the last tan (not suntan) Phicen body with a steel skeleton and removable feet? Or the last OLD suntan? I mean loose bodies, not ones that came as part of a boxed figure set. I know you've mentioned this before, but a quick search was failing me.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Thanks for sharing that album, edwick! It is both a useful resource and a very impressive collection. If you happen to read this, what was the last tan (not suntan) Phicen body with a steel skeleton and removable feet? Or the last OLD suntan? I mean loose bodies, not ones that came as part of a boxed figure set. I know you've mentioned this before, but a quick search was failing me.
I think the album you're looking for with that is my start at a Phicen FAQ, where I collect all the skin tone and body comparison shots and junk. This shot is the one that I keep as up-to-date as I can with model numbers of boxed nudes and the skin tones they match.

Unfortunately, Phicen never did a boxed nude with the stainless steel skeleton in tan with removable feet. The only boxed stainless steel skeletons in tan were the PLLB-2014-S05 and PLLB-2014-S08, which are still around at a few different retailers but are boxed nudes with heads and perma-heel feet (S05 is a standard large-bust, S08 has detailed lady parts). The only ones with removable feet came with Armored Shi, the China Honor Guard figures, and Tomoe, although I've also heard reports that Tomoe went to a different skin tone in later releases (though I don't remember which). Either way, you'll have to go for a parted-out boxed set for a stainless-steel tan with removable feet. You should also be forewarned that stainless steel tan is very different from the plastic skeleton tan skin tones -- Phicen seems to have had more variation in skin tone for the tan figures than any others. I always wonder if that was the reason why they phased out the skin tone color.

The last figures that came in the old suntan were the 2015 boxed nudes (S02A, S06B, S09C, and S12D, according to the numbering I have on that reference page). The last boxed figures in the darker suntan were La Muerta and Robyn Hood, if I remember right (and I freely admit that I might not) -- I remember that Mercy Dante was the first light suntan figure I encountered in the wild, and that this confused me quite a bit at the time. I've also heard that the more recent shipments of the S12D are coming in boxes with the new TBLeague branding and are in the lighter suntan skintone, so model number alone isn't going to be enough to tell you whether you're getting lighter or darker suntan. That can also happen with some full boxed sets -- the first Red Sonja shipped first in darker suntan and in a second wave that's the lighter suntan. 'Cuz I guess Phicen thought we looked bored or something...

·
2,105 Posts
Thank you, edwick! You have confirmed what I suspected and, as always, expanded my knowledge. I guess I did not miss out on the proper tan since it never came with detachable feet (I have one with the floppy ones). I did have the wherewithal to get some old suntans, again mostly with the floppy feet, but one of them was an S12D with the removable feet. Apart from not being as nearly detailed (not very important, but it's the principle of the thing), it punctured the rubbery skin on one elbow and also had wrist issues. So between all this and your report that this model is now being released with the new suntan, I guess I will keep waiting for new darker bodies from Phicen to appear.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that's a great list edwick. Thank you!

Can you guys help me with these heads? Wondering if they will match the Phicen suntan/pale skin tone.

1/6 Black Widow Scarlett Johansson Head Sculpt

JXtoys 1/6 Wonder Woman Gal Gadot Head Sculpt

ZC Toys Chris Evans Captain America Head Sculpt

ELEVEN Wolverine Logan Hugh Jackman

·
Registered
120 Posts
edwick is definitely the expert on Phicen skin tone color matching. IMHO on Black Widow & 1 Gal Gadot sculpts below, neither are an exact match but old suntan s02a s09 are probably the closest.. the problem is many of the Hot Toys replica sculpts are not great matches for Phicen bodies..

·
2,105 Posts
Since it would probably be too difficult to get discontinued skintones and bodies, I checked against recent ones.
If the Black Widow and Gal Gadot heads are indeed the identical-looking ones I have, then they (especially Black Widow) are a little too dark for the current TBLeague "suntan." However, the Black Widow head appears to be a pretty exact match for Jiaou Doll 3.0 "wheat" body. The Gal Gadot head can work on Jiaou's "wheat" or even "black," but to me it seems best matched by Jiaou's "KT" (which is just a little bit paler than "wheat"). But if you prefer TBLeague, this (Gadot) head is not too much darker than the current "suntan."
You can see the Black Widow head on my Jiaou "wheat" body HERE.
For the Jiaou "KT" body, but with another head, see HERE.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, for the Gac Toys C (sometimes called Michelle Pfeiffer) head, the best match I could find in my collection was the "new suntan" by TBLeague (Phicen). I checked against an S23B body, but most of the current suntan models should work.
Yeah I only buying these head for the new TBLeague bodies. The PLLB2017 suntan & pale.

Thank you everyone for helping out. Much appreciated :bravo.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
All the GAC Toys heads I have match the light suntan, so S17B, S19B, S21B, and S23B will all work.

GAC Toys GC006D Headsculpt Portrait by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Prowl around my Flickr or this board for the photo review of this head on an S23B sporting the Super Duck Fighting American Hero/Captain America corset set for more photos.

That being said, I also find that the GAC Toys heads (and the Kimi Toys heads, for that matter) are great matches for any suntan color. This is the GC004B on a Phicen S12D body in darker suntan.

GAC Toys GC004B Headsculpt Portrait by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

From all reports, Hot Toys heads are better matches for the darker suntan, but I think the difference is something you can compensate for with the right lighting. There are some heads that are just too far apart to match well, but it's hard to say which ones are like that and which ones aren't. And I can't say much of anything about the male bodies because I only have 2 (M31 and M33) and the heads on those are pretty much permanent. Too many of the compatible male headsculpts look like recognizable people IMO, which doesn't often fit what I want to do with them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wow, that's a great list edwick. Thank you!

Can you guys help me with these heads? Wondering if they will match the Phicen suntan/pale skin tone.

JXtoys 1/6 Wonder Woman Gal Gadot Head Sculpt
Well, here's that sculpt on a TBLeague S19B, kinda matches

It's a better match for the Jiaou Doll 'KT' body as seen here

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Awesome, thank guys, much appreciated! I just bought a couple of them, based on your help.

Can you guys also recommend me some Tony Stark & Wolverine HS? I did some research and just wondering which one is the best, 4.0, 5.0A, 6.0A?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts