One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I was putting together a civil war drummer and would appreciate anyone's help in pointing me the way to either :
1. Someone who makes a civil war drum in 1/6 scale OR
2. A way of scratch building one(i tried using plastic plates but failed)
Many thanks in advance all

·
Riverboat engineman
2,219 Posts
I am still looking for a small figure to make a civil war drummer boy!
anyway, I say take measurements of a real one.(use the internet)
Use plastic tubing for the body. The rest should be easy to make.
I did find a drum used as a Christmas decoration, might use that one.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I'd probably use a toilet paper tube (or plastic, if you can find it in the correct diameter) or paper towel roll tube cut to length.

Then, depending on how primitive you'd like to make your drum, take a balloon, cut out two circular pieces big enough to stretch over the ends of your tube. Then punch about eight holes around the perimeter of the circular balloon pieces. Finally, take a piece of small leather stripping and stitch the rubber pieces to each other using a "V" pattern top to bottom. I made a drum like that for an old Johnny West native American guy when I was 10 years old.

Obviously, you'll need to make sure you've got all your paint work done to the drum barrel before putting on the top and bottom.

The photo below looks like they use a circular piece at the top and bottom to put a rim around the head and bottom. That can be easily done with additional thin pieces of tube. I rather question the authenticity of that set-up though as most drummers during the civil war were carrying home-made drums. This example was obviously store-bought and rather "finished" looking. (Probably belonged to a yankee :lol )

You can also use some very thin leather for the top and bottom for a bit more realism, but it won't be able to be stretched the same as balloon (rubber) pieces.

·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am still looking for a small figure to make a civil war drummer boy!
anyway, I say take measurements of a real one.(use the internet)
Use plastic tubing for the body. The rest should be easy to make.
I did find a drum used as a Christmas decoration, might use that one.
thanks Vince for that tip and g'luck to you on your builld !

Thats for that trnswrp10 but the diameter may be a bit smallish.

I'd probably use a toilet paper tube (or plastic, if you can find it in the correct diameter) or paper towel roll tube cut to length.

Then, depending on how primitive you'd like to make your drum, take a balloon, cut out two circular pieces big enough to stretch over the ends of your tube. Then punch about eight holes around the perimeter of the circular balloon pieces. Finally, take a piece of small leather stripping and stitch the rubber pieces to each other using a "V" pattern top to bottom. I made a drum like that for an old Johnny West native American guy when I was 10 years old.

Obviously, you'll need to make sure you've got all your paint work done to the drum barrel before putting on the top and bottom.

The photo below looks like they use a circular piece at the top and bottom to put a rim around the head and bottom. That can be easily done with additional thin pieces of tube. I rather question the authenticity of that set-up though as most drummers during the civil war were carrying home-made drums. This example was obviously store-bought and rather "finished" looking. (Probably belonged to a yankee :lol )

You can also use some very thin leather for the top and bottom for a bit more realism, but it won't be able to be stretched the same as balloon (rubber) pieces.
Thank you for your suggestion dadrab..Will give it a go. BTW..I bought a 1/6 modern drum piece that I may be a able to mod into something similar to the picture above..here's what it looks like and the size seems right next to a figure
(this is not my own picture)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

Neither the Union or the Confederacy set standards for snare drum sizes. Looking at originals they tend to vary between 15 and 16 inches in diameter and 18-24 inches in height. One can plug that into a scale converter and get an idea of what measurements to look for in 1:6.

If one is "sickly" or has elderly parents or grandparents, one can use the thin hard orange or white plastic bottles from prescription drug bottles which come in a range of diameters.

One basically needs one for the drum, and a larger and/or thicker one for the two reinforcing bands at the top and bottom that the tension adjustment ropes and slides are attached to.

A quick Google search of "Civil War drum images" will turn up a ton of original drum pictures.

A quick historical note, there was a minimum age to enlist, but some times underage boys were taken on as "drummer boys" who were a combination of "mascot"' and functional musician.

In modern day reenacting, reenactors often totally overlook adult musicians which were more the historical rule than the drummer boy exceptions because it gives young boys something to do when they are too young to shoulder a musket. Plus the whole drummer boy thing has been romanticized in general and partly due to Walt Disney's 1960's "Johnny Shiloh" movie based on the real life John Clem.

·
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hallo!

Neither the Union or the Confederacy set standards for snare drum sizes. Looking at originals they tend to vary between 15 and 16 inches in diameter and 18-24 inches in height. One can plug that into a scale converter and get an idea of what measurements to look for in 1:6.

If one is "sickly" or has elderly parents or grandparents, one can use the thin hard orange or white plastic bottles from prescription drug bottles which come in a range of diameters.

One basically needs one for the drum, and a larger and/or thicker one for the two reinforcing bands at the top and bottom that the tension adjustment ropes and slides are attached to.

A quick Google search of "Civil War drum images" will turn up a ton of original drum pictures.

A quick historical note, there was a minimum age to enlist, but some times underage boys were taken on as "drummer boys" who were a combination of "mascot"' and functional musician.

In modern day reenacting, reenactors often totally overlook adult musicians which were more the historical rule than the drummer boy exceptions because it gives young boys something to do when they are too young to shoulder a musket. Plus the whole drummer boy thing has been romanticized in general and partly due to Walt Disney's 1960's "Johnny Shiloh" movie based on the real life John Clem.
Thank you so much for your insight Kurt !
I love this place !!

I actually never knew that historical fact about drummer boys. I dont need it to be super accurate and before I found the 1/6 drum I was also thinking about using this spray can..it looks about right diameter and height wise (but weight would be a problem if the figure isnt on a stand)..but I maybe wrong. Still - your pill plastic bottle is a good idea. Will be on the lookout for them !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts