One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you painters out there recommend for diluteing paint?

I try mixing half water, half paint, but it tends to dry rather quickly leaving some spots "whiter" than others and leaving ugly brush strokes, and very blothcy in other areas; especially the eyes.

These last 3 headsculpts I've been trying over and and I get the same crappy results.

Any other solutions for diluteing paint?

Thanks.

Regards, Eric.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It sounds like you're using acrylics. If you are I've used 1 once Windex, 1 ounce 91% Alcohol, and 8 ounces of water.

My advice though is to not use acrylics except as a base paint and to use either water soluble oil paints or pastels. You'll get better results; it's easier to blend the colors.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Use less water. You don't need much to dilute it. If you want less pigment then use less paint. I can't give you a perfect ratio since it depends on what you will be using it for and I don't know your mixture. All I can tell you is to keep playing with it and practice a lot.
If you want to dilute it then try matte medium, it wont be as runny as water but it will give you a more liquid consistency.

To avoid blotchyness, paint it quickly and let it dry, then do it again, in layers. This works best if you have mixed a consistent colour and if it isn't too watery. Acrylic dries darker than how it appears while wet, so the whiter areas could just be wet. If this isn't the cause then the colour you're using isn't uniform or you have excess of white still in the brush.
Also depends on the brush you are using. Round 4-6 is good for whole head and face, and smaller brushes for smaller areas, 0 for eyes etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts