One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope some one can help me on this .

I am sculpting a pair of tennis shoes
( cross-trainers ) and , I am stuck as to how I should go about makiing a mold, so I can cast them. (out of rubber or any soft pliable strong stuff ) ... so they can slip onto a figures foot .

If some one can guide me through this ( If you show pictures and no nonsense explinanation it would help.) I,ve cast some hands ( I will post those pics as soon as I can download my photos.)
but the boot , shoe "thing " has me stumpped !!

I will send (3 copies ) to any three members that can seriouslly help me out .

( just so you know they wont be painted )

·
(oYo) and lots of them!
3,060 Posts
well you got to make a 3 part mold
first get some sculpy and make a square
so that the hole where the foot goes in will be open
then you can make a Foot cast of the inside of the shoe
but give yourself some leg room
once that hardens "take some vaseline and coat the leg part"
you will need to remove the sculpy and now make a half shoe mold
pour you silicone again for the half shoe but make indentures in the sculpy for a fitting ( I hope you know what I mean)
then coat that part in vaseline
and mold the oter half
all that should be left to do is make an air hole and an injection hole for the resin
for this part I would suggest Dragon Skin by Smooth-on it's flexble
unlike the regular resin's

hope that helps

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnnye4

thanks , I okay on one and two part molds but , for me three is hard for me to
understand , but I will read it over till I understand it.
I should have some time before I can get some more casting supplies.

Ive sculpted the shoe out of CHAVANT , so I hope it works.

One i get it Ill send you my progress and hopefully a pair of shoes too!

thanks

·
Realistic hair & beard
1,325 Posts
... That's not an easy mold you're trying to make, lowlight... Johnnye4 has some really good advices there... I personally never tried these kind of castings, everything that is "hollow"(like 1/6 shoes) are really hard to mold and cast and I'd really like you to show us the result
(like pictures of the 3 parts mold and the recasted shoes) when you're done with it ... Good luck, man !

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, a 3-part mold is hard , I was hoping thier might be a easier way !

Does anyone have pics to show the steps of a three-part mold ?

Ive done some gloves ( those are easier , cause its hollow , but very shallow . )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alot of times in the 1/1 world, back in the days when there were clever ways to do things by hand, hollows were created with modular inserts.

Create your outer mold. Make sure it allows for both the thickness of your finished shoe and the "foot" insert.

Take three pieces of slat and glue them with a tiny bit of glue and paper between each strip. Carve your "foot" from this block of strips. Make sure the strips run vertically, and leave a handle/leg. When done, the pieces can be split apart with a sharp knife, as the paper will separate. Clean the pieces and make all joining surfaces smooth. You now have a modular insert. Wrap a rubberband around the handle/leg, fill your mold with enough casting medium that it will be full when the insert is inside and the medium displaces. When cured, undo the rubberband, slip out the center strip and the two side strips will collapse and remove easily. Pull finished shoe out of mold.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sculpt pictures

Okay , hope you guys like .

well , I finally got pictures! ( I hope the resolution is good enough , tried to get it sharp but couldnt quite get it .

The tennis shoes are ones , I am gonna do. ( They are sculpted in CHAVANT , If this is not the material to use , let me know. )

The hands are done in super sculpey . then casted in a rubber mold .

..as I was about to pour the next level , I ran out of Smooth-on !

just waiting till I can get some more .

:wideyes :hyper :hyper :hyper

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnnye4 ,Real Action Man , & Laughinggravy 2 -

Thanks for the help , and encouragement. I hope i can figure it out, just give me some time and hopefully I can send you guys and anyone else a complimentary pair of 'Sneeks'.

Is thier anyone who might have some pictures to help out , for refrence on casting a boot . I am more of a visual person ( hands on ) .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.