One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys
I need help in choosing the right kind of wood for 1/6th scale boat, 2ft 2in long x 9in wide.
Not sure if Ace hardware still carries basswood for hobby projects, I am going to need to steam and bend the wood to shape.
If I can't find basswood, what other wood could I use that I could also steam and bend into shape.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well maintained wood boats are great. They also are high maintenance. Think of it this way, on a fiberglass boat with teak, you sand and swap out bits of the wood every year, but on an all wood boat (rarely made of all teak or another wood as durable), you are swapping out part of the boat every year. This year it's a stringer, next year it's a frame, the year after that a bit of decking, etc. That isn't to say that they can't be great, if they are kept up they are, it's just that if a wood boat is ignored it deteriorates.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gandhisahil131
The M-1 Attack boat, does not have all those things, stringer,frame,decking ect,
I decided to go with 1/4 thick, 2ft x 4ft birch plywood, which is pretty bendy to make my hull out of without steaming it or soaking in hot water.
Right now, I have to figure out and build some type of frame to hold it in while I glue it up, after that figure out where to place all my electronic RC stuff in the boat.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's nice to something besides just dolls on here for a change! I started making one of these a while back,I used 1/4 foam board, I found that if you wet the paper it bends easily and hold the shape when it dries. But where you are planning to RC it that wouldn't work very well! Be sure to post a picture with your progress, you won't get much interest here but I'd love to see it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts