One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1/6 Roman Kitbasher
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

This will be my first custom headsculpt. However I dont know how to strip the paint so i can do a fresh repaint. What do I use for this head sculpt type (Unknown brand DID Dragon GiJoe???) to strip the paint. What paints should I use to repaint (Type of paint and brand please) Thanks

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
This looks like a DID Ricky Foster sculpt to me. If you plan on keeping the mohawk I wouldn't strip the sculpt at all, that hair will come off in seconds if you strip it.

If you don't want the hair and do want to strip it I can recommend using non acetone based nail polish remover.

CHEERS!

·
i'm a lover not a fighter
3,141 Posts
yeah, the hair is going to give you some problems for a repaint unless you are very careful and paint your base flesh layer with a brush instead of say, an airbrush, for example. you could test to see if the hair will come off in one piece so you can easily reattach it after your repaint. like people have previously stated, stripping the paint isn't necessary though.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
It doesn't come off in one, it's separate pieces glued on and the glue is water based. I wouldn't risk stripping it if I wanted to repaint it.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
665 Posts
As has already been said you don't actually need to strip the paint though I usually do. If you just want to strip some areas and want to keep the hair you can just use q tips and acetone.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
What the others said about stripping - it's not needed, but personally, I find it easier to paint over a fresh area.

Secondly, regarding painting: there are a lot of tutorials out there and this one is pretty good:

http://ransomechua.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/painting-headsculpt-fast-track/

My personal method is this:

1. Paint the head with a pinkish/brownish skintone all over in several thin layers to you get a smooth finish.

2. Mix Transparent red and matt medium and use a short hard brush to dab on paint all over the face, but especially the cheeks, chin, tip of the nose and forehead. Keep dabbing the paint - the purpose is to build up texture.

3. Take some of the skintone and the planned hair color and mix with matt medium. Use this mixture to create a rather dark beard shade and don't forget to try to fade out near the edges where it meets the skin.

4. I usually paint the eyes at this stage since they are easy to screw up and it's easier to rework them from here than later. Also, I can mask them off with some sticky stuff, so here goes:

4a. Paint the whites of theye eyes with either a linen color (if the figure is nothing special) or with a mix of white plus incredibly little red (for one who will look tired or sick), white plus a little yellow (for someone being unbelievably and seriously ill), white plus a little blue (for someone insultingly healthy) or white plus a little brown for a black person.

(That went on longer than I expected)

4b. Paint the lowest portion of the iris in the selected eye color plus black. this will be the outline of the iris, so take your time getting it round with sharp edges and make sure about a quarter of it is covered by the upper eyelid (for a figure with a startled expression for example, show more of the iris).
4c. Paint the desired color of the iris, but leave a very thin dark line between this color and the white of the eye.
4d. Paint a highlight of the iris. This is preferably dabbled in so that it makes some texture.
4e. Paint the pupil in black smack in the middle of the iris, preferably slightly covered by the upper eyelid.
4f. When all is dry, take either some Vallejo Fleshtone shade (no 73204) or mix your own wash with lots of water, a small dab of dark brown, a small dab of light brown and some medium. Put the wash in the eyes, let it sink into all the nooks and crannies of the eyes and let dry - since it contain more water than usual, it might takee a little longer.
4g. Mix some of the ol' skintone with some red and white and make a slightly pink skin tone. Use this to paint the inside of the eyelids.

5. That should be the eye done for now. Squeeze some of that sticky stuff into the eyes with thee help of a toothpick and you can happily go ruining the rest of the sculpt if so inclined.

6 Take the skintone again, mix it to a slightly lighter shade, mix in some medium and use this in no more than two layers over the entire sculpt - more will obscure the earlier stages.

7. Paint the lips in the same skintone as you painted the inner eyelids. it works awesomely.

8. Paint the eyebrows. Here, remember that facial hair is often darker than the hair - even a very fair person might have quite dark eyebrows. Take your time and pick out the sculpting.

9. Paint the hair. Add highlights if you want, but I find them distracting and makes sculpts this size looke like they have been dipped in hair dye.

10. Remove the sticky stuff from the eyes.

11. Fix any mistakes made (yes, you will make mistakes).

12. Grab a rattle can of matt varnish and give the entire sculpt one or two layers to protect the paintjob.

13. Use some gloss varnish on the eyes. Some people use floor polish or whatever they have at hand, but never use booze. it never works.

14. Finally, Use some satin varnish on the lips and perhaps the hair, depending on how fresh you want it to look. The dirtier hair, the more glossy it becomes though. Remember you can always mix different kinds of varnish to get the desired effect.

Last words: It doesn't matter that much what kind of (acrylic) paint you use, but the brushes are VERY important. I prefer Da Vinci brushes but that's me.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Hey Warge Good Tutorial could you please be so kind and posts some Pic's of your work.
I would if I had a tripod to put my camera on - snapping pictures by hand is a PITA and I think my camera is lacking in focus as well... So, sorry. For now, you have to live without pics.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I would say that DML and earlier Sideshow heads usually benefit greatly from stripping. Their paint apps cover a lot of good detail. I stripped mine with Acetone, but that is best done outdoors, in a sealable glass jar. A CAUTION - Acetone cleans the heads off nicely, but will "eat" neck adapters (as well as the body where it makes contact) so it's best to dismount the heads before doing this.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I would say that DML and earlier Sideshow heads usually benefit greatly from stripping. Their paint apps cover a lot of good detail. I stripped mine with Acetone, but that is best done outdoors, in a sealable glass jar. A CAUTION - Acetone cleans the heads off nicely, but will "eat" neck adapters (as well as the body where it makes contact) so it's best to dismount the heads before doing this.
I learned that the hard way:

That's a G3.5 neck after I soaked it in acetone based nail polish remover! I've used the non acetone based stuff ever since.

CHEERS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts