One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry I didn't have time to get all pro on these photos, but I wanted to hurry up and get to watching some Jason movies in honor of it being Friday the 13th today. I just got the NECA 18" scale Alien today. I know it's not 1/6, but I thought it worth bringing to your attention. Besides, 1/4 scale stuff sometimes sneaks in here anyway.

Finally, for those lucky few of us to have the Sideshow Predator Maquette, there is an Alien (98%) perfect enough to display along side it.

Yes, my fellow Alien and Predator fans (notice I didn't just group as all into AVP), it is in scale with the Predator and Queen bust.

Except for the joints which I deducted 2% for, this thing has flawlessly accurate detail, and you just heard that from the most anal fan there is, gentlemen and gentlemen (do any girls ever post on here?)

Note the paper towels and LARGE Taco Bell cup for size reference. This thing really is huge. And heavy.

Look at detail and posture of those dorsal pipes. Nobody else has been so accurate before.

And the mouth opens and inner jaw extends without a switch. And I love the cleaver way the clear mouth tendons just blend into the joint so perfectly. That's more thanks to Giger's design than to NECA rendition though.

Here it is next to the original Kenner '79 18" Alien.

My only gripes about this figure are that the paint job under the dome is very cartoony, the joint issue is an obvious detractor even though as posable plastic figures go they did well, and the fact that it is made of that heavy plastic/rubber that NECA and McFarlane love to use which means that it will probably warp a bit under its own weight and topple over unexpectedly and take out half my Hot Toys AVP collection if I don't find a suitable stand for it, or something.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
woh:jawdrop Pretty f-ing nifty.... that would set proudly in anyones collection.

The transparent face with the skull under it so cool. Just like original.

love seeing that old toy version. Haven't seen it in years and I was so envious of the two kids I knew who had it.

...and here I am, being all envious again :b

·
Français par le sang vers
798 Posts
Really detailed piece of work from NECA, if not for my busted budget, i would seriously give this a serious thought..

Thanks for the shots :)

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really detailed piece of work from NECA, if not for my busted budget, i would seriously give this a serious thought..

Thanks for the shots :)
This thing is selling for a measley $45 bucks on eBay right now. That price is as amazing as the figure. As nearly perfect a replica as Sideshow's $1000 dollar (original price) Predator Maquette, but at 1/20th the cost. NECA could have charged at least $100 for this and I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it after the prices Hot Toys charges for stuff half its size. Hell, $200 wouldn't have scared me off. But $45...
:devilhnd

Sure glad I never blew $1500 on the Cinemaquette Alien which never looked quite right to me. And this does't have that stupid tippy-toe stance that the Cinemaquette has.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Is there some sort of online anatomy guide to the aliens? I always wondered what those sport exhausts on their backs are good for...

the orginal Alien was approx 8 foot tall if i remember correctly. which is about 2,4 Meters, which is 40cm in 1/6 which is about 16" give or take. Correct me if im wrong =)

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
This baby is on my list for sure!

Halcyon/Tsukuda re-released the Kenner Alien as a vinyl kit in the 90's, I had one and for the time it was damn good, this blows it away totally. Halcyon listed their kit as 1/5th which I think is about right.

I just looked at Giger's Alien (the book) and they said that Bolaji Badejo (The guy inside Alien.) was 6' 10.5" tall, slightly less than Kevin Peter Hall. The Alien feet were dressed up Chuck Taylors, so, Bolaji wouldn't have gained any height even with the costume on.

In many shots of the Alien with actors you never saw the two from the ground up so gauging the Alien's true height isn't easy. Veronica Cartwright wasn't that tall so the creature would easily tower over her. Depending on how you pose it I guess NECA's wouldn't look too bad next to 1/6th figures.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can get it at cornerstorecomics.com for ~$37 + shipping. Too good to pass up...a bargain at that price. Incredible figure. Details are great gets better everytime I look at it. It is closer to 1/4 scale though; it towers over my hot toys alien figs which are 1/6. Great pics Silentsurfer (nice Kenner fig, too), hope you don't mind if I post a couple of mine:D

Here is mine posed w/ soldier story automatic rifleman to better see the scale:

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
This baby is on my list for sure!

I just looked at Giger's Alien (the book) and they said that Bolaji Badejo (The guy inside Alien.) was 6' 10.5" tall

I

CHEERS!
Bolaji Badejo (born in Nigeria) is a former design student and one-time actor, known for his portrayal of the title character in the acclaimed science fiction movie Alien. He is Nigerian and a member of the Yoruba tribe. Badejo stands at 7'2" tall. He used to be or still is a barber[citation needed].
Thats what i based my calculation on, the head and feet might have made him a little bit taller so i rounded it up to 8 feet.:hyper

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there some sort of online anatomy guide to the aliens? I always wondered what those sport exhausts on their backs are good for...
I've alway wondered that myself, but the design may not be so interesting anymore if somebody actually told (not that I wouldn't still like to know). All I have to say is it's Giger. His stuff doens't make sense and that makes it 'alien', so me likey.

the orginal Alien was approx 8 foot tall if i remember correctly. which is about 2,4 Meters, which is 40cm in 1/6 which is about 16" give or take. Correct me if im wrong =)
Except for 'Alien 3' where Andrews recaps Ripley's account of an Alien, there is no other on screen reference to exactly how tall they are. I suppose, like any creature, it could realistically vary from one to another. In "Aliens", they almost looked average human height as most of the stunt men for the movie were just that. The puppetted Aliens looked very slight. I do like to think that they are generally 8' though.

Regardless, this figure is 20" as I have him posed, and he is in perfect scale with my 1/4 scale Predator Maquette.

Halcyon/Tsukuda re-released the Kenner Alien as a vinyl kit in the 90's, I had one and for the time it was damn good, this blows it away totally. Halcyon listed their kit as 1/5th which I think is about right.
The Halcyon piece was a vinyl recast off of the original Kenner toy. I had that one until I found the toy. Vinyl shrinks when you cast it. If you try to put it back into the mold once it is done, it will no longer fit. The vinyl model was nearly an inch or more smaller than the toy, putting it into the 1/5 scale catatgory.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I was under the impression that those tubes were breathing tubes...can't remember where I read that. There is some website called "thehive" (don't know the address) but I'm sure someone there could answer the question. There is also the AVP galaxy website.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
You can get it at cornerstorecomics.com for ~$37 + shipping. Too good to pass up...a bargain at that price. Incredible figure. Details are great gets better everytime I look at it. It is closer to 1/4 scale though; it towers over my hot toys alien figs which are 1/6. Great pics Silentsurfer (nice Kenner fig, too), hope you don't mind if I post a couple of mine:D

Here is mine posed w/ soldier story automatic rifleman to better see the scale:

I don't thing he has enough bullets and I mean he needs some really big bullets. Awesome figure!!!

·
The rest will flow
333 Posts
The hands are perfect, as is everything else I can see... way to go NECA!

That being said, COME ON HOT TOYS! :knock

·
Good Enough Never Is
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm hoping it's just the photos, but, I think the dome looks too flat. The overall shape of the Kenner one is better.
I think that the NECA is more accurate, but as I have had the Kenner one all my life, I do agree that the shape of the Kenner head does look a bit better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.