One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NCO Danny Archer, 32nd Batallion, Angola 1987...do you guys remember Blood Diamond?

Leonardo DiCaprio performs as an ex 32nd Buffalo Batallion soldier in this film (see the video):) I love these lines when Leo says" ...We fougth with the blacks side by side...there's no Apartheid in the foxhole..." This movie is one of my favs of all times, so I found the perfect excuse to mix one of my favorite military theme ( and Special Forces too) with it....hope u enjoy it!!!!

P.S.: please play the sountrack while you watch the figure :)

Some reference and misc pics:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: NCO Danny Archer, 32nd Batallion,Angola 1987...do you guys remember Blood Diamond

Great looking figure! Nicely packed with plenty of gear too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Re: NCO Danny Archer, 32nd Batallion,Angola 1987...do you guys remember Blood Diamond

Excellent bash! Great use of the old 21st Mercenary/Rhodesian uniform! After the creation of Zimbabwe in 80/81, quite a few members of the Rhodesian Special Forces (RLI, Selous Scouts) found service in the South African Military, the highest concentration being in the 32nd BN, I believe. It was in 87/88 that the SA forces really began to inflict some heavy defeats on the Angolan/Cuban forces. (The Commanding Officer of the entire Cuban contingent was killed in one of the battles, in fact.)

Are the boots scratchbuilt?

Once again, a wonderful figure overall!!

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Great bash, alicastrillo !

Nice job on the mods.

BTW : the boots you show in the ref pics are actually Rhodesian. I am well placed to know, they are from my collection. :whistle
Still a possibility in 32 Bn though. :wink
Thx a lot, I'm a very big fan of your work. I still remember your Recce, Selous Scout gunner and the guy with the blue jean suit...there're awesome!!! I also know that you're a kind of guru of Rhodesian/ Southafrican themes on militaryphotos.net, so any comment from your side is very welcome. But didn't you see the part on the movie when Leo's dad gave him away his own boots before he dies??? lol. I'm aware that they're from Rhodesia, but didn't the Recce's and 32nd B copy Rhodesian and Chicom uniforms???

There's other boots that I've could used instead

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: NCO Danny Archer, 32nd Batallion, Angola 1987...do you guys remember Blood Diamon

Many thanks to everyone!!!!!

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,958 Posts
Re: NCO Danny Archer, 32nd Batallion, Angola 1987...do you guys remember Blood Diamon

Awesome custom. :thumb :thumb

That is a great figure. A bit of history, and a movie link too. Goes in to the back story of that character. Awesome

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

I wans't much of a DiCaprio fan until I saw this film, he did extremely well and glad he was leaving his pretty boy image that he was known for in his earlier movies behind. Well done on bringing out Archer from his bush whacking days in the 32nd Bn.

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Excellent bash! Great use of the old 21st Mercenary/Rhodesian uniform! After the creation of Zimbabwe in 80/81, quite a few members of the Rhodesian Special Forces (RLI, Selous Scouts) found service in the South African Military, the highest concentration being in the 32nd BN, I believe. It was in 87/88 that the SA forces really began to inflict some heavy defeats on the Angolan/Cuban forces. (The Commanding Officer of the entire Cuban contingent was killed in one of the battles, in fact.)

Are the boots scratchbuilt?

Once again, a wonderful figure overall!!
Thanks a lot. Don't remember whrere they come from, I just modified the soles in order to make them with "anti track" likeness. I believe there're a WWII model.

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Awesome custom. :thumb :thumb

That is a great figure. A bit of history, and a movie link too. Goes in to the back story of that character. Awesome
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!

·
Wild Bunch Customs
807 Posts
Absolutely first class work! Many don't even know what 32 Battalion was, and you have managed to create two excellent figures of them! The custom web gear is fantastic, assault vests of South Africa were ahead of the time. I am awaiting uniform and cap from DiD "Henri" for some similar works.

·
A Shadow in the Light
1,275 Posts
Nice Bash! All the gear looks great especially the vest and the boots. The radio is really nicely done, is it custom made?

·
Great War Fanatic
522 Posts
It is amazing that you bring up this topic - good work by the way. But, one of the reporters killed in Libya yesterday was 1 of 2 men that originally brought the blood diamond trade in Africa to light. Chris Hondros (Killed yesterday in Misurata) and Greg Campbell were in Sierra Leone documenting the brutal diamond trade. Hondros was a Getty Images photographer, and Campbell was a writer, who eventually went on to write the book that inspired the movie.

·
Wild Bunch Customs
807 Posts
Very interesting, what a coincidence. Blood Diamond was a pretty good flick, DiCaprios gun handling was not too shabby I believe he trained at gunsite, I could be mistaken though. There is actually some good bash material for EO-type soldiers. DiCaprio character was actually based on a former EO man Cobus Claasens if memory serves me right.

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Absolutely first class work! Many don't even know what 32 Battalion was, and you have managed to create two excellent figures of them! The custom web gear is fantastic, assault vests of South Africa were ahead of the time. I am awaiting uniform and cap from DiD "Henri" for some similar works.
Nice Bash! All the gear looks great especially the vest and the boots. The radio is really nicely done, is it custom made?
It is amazing that you bring up this topic - good work by the way. But, one of the reporters killed in Libya yesterday was 1 of 2 men that originally brought the blood diamond trade in Africa to light. Chris Hondros (Killed yesterday in Misurata) and Greg Campbell were in Sierra Leone documenting the brutal diamond trade. Hondros was a Getty Images photographer, and Campbell was a writer, who eventually went on to write the book that inspired the movie.
Big boss: thanks a lot once again. Your feedback is a truly motivation for me.The lengendary 32nd Batallion was one of the finest and most effective units ever, holder of one the highest ratio of combat victories achieved with one of the lowest casualty ratio as well.

DC80: Thanks a lot sir for your kind words. That radio's customized from the one that comes with WWII BBI's SAS british commando. I think is a very "afrikaans" touch.

Captain Miller: Thank you sir. Well to be honest, this was a mere coincidence since this bash was made a while ago. Btw, Mr. Hondros, wherever you are RIP...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts