One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
cablecommandercustoms
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of October 1808 the Emperor Napoleon, at the head of a large French army assembled in the northern Spanish city of Vitoria, prepared to place his brother Joseph on the throne of Spain by force.
Several Spanish armies gathered to resist him and the British corps in Portugal was ordered to advance to Burgos and assist the Spanish. With the departure to England of Generals Burrard and Dalrymple and Sir Arthur Wellesley to face the enquiry into the Convention of Cintra which had enabled Junot and his army to escape from Portugal after the Battle of Vimeiro, command of the British army fell on Sir John Moore. Moore commanded 23,000 troops in Lisbon and expected 10,000 reinforcements to arrive at Corunna under Sir David Baird.

Moore sent his infantry by the northern route through Coimbra, Celerico and Badajoz to Salamanca in Spain. Late anxieties about the state of that road caused him to divert his artillery and cavalry by the southern Ciudad Rodrigo road.

The army marched into the port of Corunna on the night of 11th January 1809, many of the troops in a state of exhaustion. The French were some distance behind but the fleet was not in harbour. The transports did not reach Corunna from Vigo until 15th January 1809.

Moore formed his army south of Corunna between the village of Elvina and the sea. Soult's corps carried out a frontal attack on the British line with the emphasis on the British right flank at Elvina. The French took Elvina but were driven out by the 42nd Highlanders and the 50th Foot. They counter-attacked and recaptured the village. Short of ammunition, the two regiments returned to the assault led by Moore and the French were driven out again at the point of the bayonet. At the moment of victory Sir John Moore was struck by a round shot and fatally injured. Lying stricken, Sir John enquired as to the state of the battle and was reassured that the French had been beaten back. The French attack along the British line faded away, Paget's reserve division driving back a late incursion around the open right flank.

The next day the army was embarked on the transports. One of the last duties of the 9th Foot was to bury Sir John Moore on the city ramparts.

First Division: Lieutenant General Sir David Baird: 81st Foot, 26th Foot, 1st Foot, 50th Foot, 42nd Highlanders, 4th Foot, 1st and 3rd Battalion of the 1st Guards. Bean's brigade of artillery 6 pieces.

This is my version of a 42nd HRH soldier during the retreat.
...........................................................................................
Private
1/42nd Royal Highland Regiment
3rd battalion
Bentinck Brigade
Baird Division
Corunna, 1809

This figure is my interpretation of a private of the 1/42nd during the retreat at Corunna. I used a DML body, slightly shortened. The leggings have been tightened and shortened also, as the photos that I have seen of them shows only 6 buttons.
The India Pattern musket and water-bottle are from Tony Barton, painted by me. A leather piece was added for the neck-stock.
The knapsack was handmade and painted black with the "42" handpainted on it. The cartridge box was hand made by me also.
The Kilmarnock was made by me, using the instructions I got from Tony Barton. The cap badge is from Tony Barton. This figure is a re-make of one that I posted awhile ago.

The headsculpt was stripped and repainted by me, with the sideburns added.

thanks for looking,
CC

·
Registered
936 Posts
:clap:clap:clap
An excellent work , this highlander has a lot of times of custom work , I supose . That "helmet" is fantastic , like figure .
Congratulations

·
Registered
755 Posts
LG2; "a red jacket and a SKIRT"?????? You tread a very thin line my friend......a thin red line to be precise!!:rolling

Great figure CC. You go from strength to strength.

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts