One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sir Lurksalot
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use for helmet bands on their US 'Nam helmets? I used green elastic but it stretches out pretty quickly, I've used green webbing but it doesn't stay glued together and pieces of cut innertube but it dries out and breaks pretty quickly. Is there anything else you've used?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not sure why you're having trouble with standard green webbing (like the kind that gets supplied with most military figures?) but Fabritac will usually glue that stuff perfectly. You can use CA but it doesn't always stick and will be stiff as well as stained where the glue is. The trick for me is finding the right width and color, but I have decades worth of spare parts from countless kits I usually can find something that works. Otherwise it's off the to craft of fabric store to look for ribbons that might work. Judging form your join date you probably have tons of spares too right? I've used elastic too (not rubber bands, right? the "fabric" elastic that comes on spools) and Fabritac also glues it well. If it stretches too easily don't tighten it so much. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Two things I have used in the past are small rubber bands that came from a braiding set my daughter got. They are available at any of the big crafty stores. The other thing you can use is shrink tubing. Cut a piece a little oversized on the width and stretch it over the helmet and then add some heat from a hairdryer. Good Luck.

·
Respect, Honour, Courage
2,879 Posts
I have found using the inner tube from a bicycle tire works brilliantly. I have a section cut and then just cut off what I need for each helmet. This is one I used for my IDF

·
Registered
2 Posts
Standard Vietnam era helmet band would be narrow green webbing without glow in the dark cat eyes on back over a Mitchell cammo pattern cover for US Army and black rubber inner tube section over brown/green reversible WWII USMC or plain green cover for Marines.

·
Sir Lurksalot
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, I know what bands were originally used IRL, I'm just having bad luck with the usual material used for 1/6th.

So, I may try going back to the webbing material and try a different glue. Any ideas on where I can find any of the OD ribbon used for 1/6th webbing? I used to get it from a member if this forum but I think his sources dried up and I don't even know if he's even still an active member...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts