One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Music City Bacon
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tendency to get obsessive about different eras... lately I have been stuck on wanting to build up some Vietnam era figures... I have been on this one for about three weeks... DML fatigues helmet and rifle, Toy Soldier web gear and boots, unk make claymore bag with replaced custom strap and buttons, rucksack has a DML frame and Intoyz ruck, I added a number of different brand odds and ends on the ruck... couldn't find a violet smoke grenade so I painted it myself, Tony Barton head with rabbit fur hair, bracelet and necklace with bullet were made from scrap stuff in the parts bin..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Let me add my kudos to those already posted: Outstanding piece of work!

Could you take a moment and give a quick tutorial on how you did your base? Thanks

Jack

·
Music City Bacon
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could you take a moment and give a quick tutorial on how you did your base?
The base started out as a photo frame.. I laid the frame out flat and hot glued a block of green floral foam into the recess for the photo... ( photo frames are an excellent source for figure bases.. and our local Hobby Lobby is always having sales on frames for 50% off).... I then sanded the foam into the sloping shape I wanted to create the small rise... The dead tree is just a small diameter tree branch I found in the parking lot at work.. ( at the time I saw it next to my car I immediately thought, that is a perfect 1/6th tree trunk :) ).... The foilage is a mix of green raffia, and random stuff found in the floral dept at Hobby Lobby... you just have to browse through all of their stuff and you will find various grasses and fern looking "stuff" for dioramas...
I also ended up inserting dowel rods down into the foam all the way to the bottom underneath the spots where the figure's feet would be for stability.. on the top of the dowel rods I attached magnets with JB Weld so that the magnets would sit perfectly level with the ground's surface... small holes were then drilled into the heels of the jungle boots and magnets were attached with JB Weld there as well... now the figure will attach to the base and not tip over, yet can still be removed..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts