One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you have seen,I've put up a sale post in Open Market that had a header of "Leaving the hobby sale".I've had a few members here,who have been here for a good while,wish me well and say they're sad to see me go,and that does me proud.

When I first started 1/6(well in it's current state that is,I had 12" GI JOES when I was a kid),the only companies really around were Dragon and 21st century.I remember starting off with Dragon Models WWII Germans,then WWII Americans.I also started picking up 21st century figures,but when BBi showed up,21st faltered and eventually folded up.

When I bought my first Dragon modern figure,which was,I believe the Ranger gunner Tim,that was the start of a good long tenure in the hobby.That led to the discovery of the original OSW.From there I discovered Toy Soldier,and what would turn into a lifelong friendship with Nan and Tung at Echobase.They became my plastic crack dealers,and their loose part selection and seeing what was being done on OSW,led me to start kitbashing.

From there,I discovered OPSgear,Monkey Depot,Small Blue Planet,and a host of other internet e-tailers that fed my addiction.So as they were being discovered,so led to my addiction to loose parts.And I had/have tons of loose parts.So much that I was buying nut and bolt bins to house everything I was accumulating.And I was accumulating alot.

As I was accumulating all my extras,I was also buying box sets.Dragon,BBi,Toy Soldier and ACE were the leaders at the time.And man the times were good.Dragon was the big daddy,being usurped by the new kid BBi.It was a neck and neck competition to see who would outdo who.Eventually Ace would do the same to Toy Soldier.And eventually,all 4 of these companies...were gone.Dragon held on the longest,but recently took a break from 1/6,while ACE has made a reappearance in 1/6 with some excellent Vietnam sets,which has always been something that was a great seller.

With the absence of DML,BBI,TS and ACE coming,other companies started appearing.Hot Toys was one of the first to come forward in the heyday of 1/6 with some excellent looking sets on the military subject.But even they eventually left the military market to focus on the film market.Stepping into the scene were Crazy Dummy,DAM and Soldier Story.Dam and Crazy Dummy eventually merged into DAM toys and has some excellent sets coming out of left field.There are a bunch of smaller niche companies as well,but they focus on subjects that don't interest me.

One of the aspects of 1/6 that people enjoy,as with most hobbies,is photographing thier work.I was/am no exception to that.My first camera,I don't even remember what it was other than a Kodak,was sufficient at the time.I,of course upgraded over time.Good pictures are important no matter what you do.So as I kept upgrading my camera,I started taking pictures of other things.Flowers,clouds,landscape,architecture.And as such,a new hobby was formed.

13 years,nearly 14 now,another thing happened.Children.I have 3 now,ages 13,11,and 6.That also takes a good chunk of time,and money.With that happening,I had less time and money to devote to 1/6th.And I found myself taking more pictures of my children and places we were going and things we were doing.

My last full purchase was Dam Toys MARSOC Team leader.I used to quench my thirst for 1/6 by doing group buys,just so I could inspect the gear,and check it all out and get the few items I wanted from the box sets.This was all derailed by the Customs issues that plagued the hobby for the past nearly 2 years.No product,or not knowing when the product was coming to the states,if at all,kind of made people leary of spending money on a product that may not show up.Add that to the money woes,and rising costs of everything worldwide,kinda adds up to a loss of interest it seems.

Now,I'm not giving up the hobby completly.I will still have some projects,like my never ending Special Forces CQB team.I still have 3 or 4 members in the pipeline.When I get some extra funds,I am going to be buying the Soldier Story Desert Storm Marine,and probably be saving up for the DEVGRU team leader.I just have alot of stuff I know I will probably never use,so I may as well,let others have a go at it.

So basically,I'm not leaving the board,I'm just expanding my outlook.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am glad that you aren't leaving the hobbie completely, but as a fellow old timer I am sad that I won't be seeing your Dave Chappell profile pic as much (in my head you have always been revolutionary war era Dave Chappell, but that is beside the point). Best wishes!

·
firefighterUK
7,025 Posts
My situation is almost the same as yours and I totally understand where you are coming from. Best wishes mate and look forward to seeing you around time to time.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Glad to hear you'll still be around. I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to seeing some of your outstanding bashes in the future. It has been a great run indeed.

·
11B
2,849 Posts
Good to hear that you're still gonna be around! I remember first joining and bookmarking almost every one of your bashes. Good luck in the future :goodluck

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Glad to hear you will still be a "Nosy Rosy" around here. :wink Just remember, "Once a 1/6 junkie always a 1/6 junkie". LOL.!!
Many a true word said in jest , I kicked the habit for a few years , also mainly to pursue my photography hobby , but` it`s back , I told myself I wouldn`t spend to much money , but still have spent more than I should of . Good luck in what your doing , I recon there is a good chance you will be back though . :wink

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys.And yes,I know I'll be around,just in a lower capacity.

·
A complete Six maniac!!
2,193 Posts
Glad to see you are keeping one foot in the hobby CorranJ, if we lose people like you, then we start to lose the hobby.
You have been a stalwart not only in this forum but in the wider hobby.

We all have real lives, and things must take a precedence at times....but as long as good guys like yourself stick with us, then our hobby will grow ever stronger, even at "dry periods" such as we seem to be going through at present.

Neil.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,280 Posts
What a relief! You gave us all a scare. To be frank, I don't care much (it is such a strong word, but I cannot think of anything else! LOL!) about the newbies (0 to 3 years) in the hobby so much. So many fall by the waste side. They come and go, but you are one of the old ones on the forum. I still remember our first trade! Don't know what I we traded, but I still remember it! So good for you! Now show us your latest bash!

·
its time to musk up...
1,021 Posts
Ive missed your avatar round here too!

I can't tell you how much money your excellent reviews have cost me over the years.

You have been responsible for me buying so many figures over the years that I maybe wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise so for that I thank you ...kind of ;-).

Glad to see your not totally out of it.

I think all of us who have been in for a long time fall out of it to a degree whether it be due to limited time due to family commitments, the ever rising cost of buying the smallest parts, the curse of the collectable factor that plague the humble modeller , running out of space or just subject matter that can sometimes just fail to ignite that 'must have purchase' feeling.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm glad you're not leaving the hobby but I understand your dilemma completely. I'm in a similar boat with my family. I have one teenager and one soon-to-be teenager at home and it's a balancing act to fit everything in (family, fun, work ... I don't exactly have a 9-5 job) . And as they get older you want to spend as much time with them as you can before they move on and become their own people in the world. Also, with me it wasn't so much funds but time and space. I have my own Joe room and I've bought & built most of the figures I ever wanted to. There's just not much space left for more without it becoming crowded. Small upgrades/tweaks aside I only have a few left in the pipe. So one of my big tasks this winter is to go through my parts boxes and find new homes for the parts I'll never use. What you're going through is hopefully a more laid back approach to the hobby and a scaling back. No need to leave altogether. I'll be looking forward to those future CQB posts. Take care!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I have to agree that a fair number of figures I bought were on the basis of your pictorials. I understand the family and real life priorities. Go have fun, and know that when you drop by,your chair will be there for you, with free gum on the bottom.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And after I wrote all this,I stopped by Echobase to chat with Nan for a bit.I picked up the SS Desert Storm Marine,which I had,had him hold for me a while back,and never got around to picking it up.It's very hard to leave something that's been a big part of your life for such a long time.I had a great time,cussing,and moaning about putting this guy together.I just wish someone would send me figures to assemble,review,and photograph.I'd be super happy with that.

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
And after I wrote all this,I stopped by Echobase to chat with Nan for a bit.I picked up the SS Desert Storm Marine,which I had,had him hold for me a while back,and never got around to picking it up.It's very hard to leave something that's been a big part of your life for such a long time.I had a great time,cussing,and moaning about putting this guy together.I just wish someone would send me figures to assemble,review,and photograph.I'd be super happy with that.
Have you considered talking with Brian Sullivan or Mike Skram? 4DEFCON may also be able to give you advice here.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Stay with it in a more selective with what you buy capacity in a few years you will be in the position I am in, kids mostly gone, more money to spend on your self and if the past 10 years have been any indication the stuff will just get cooler.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My youngest is 6..that's 12 more years...crap

·
Memento Mori
1,151 Posts
I don't know you personally but I'm glad you will be around CorranJ, always like your work and your words about 1/6 galaxy.

As others said, you will never leave this hobby MUHAHAHAHAAAaaa ehm...But it's important to make right decisions when the time comes.

I wish you all the best:).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts