One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the term "grail" is thrown about too much in this hobby. I usually never use it since the things I want but can't get are either because I cannot afford them or they are not out yet. There are few (well one) thing that is truly unattainable for me. I have been searching for this figure since like 2001, I never thought I'd find one. It was a Japanese convention exclusive from 1999. I have no idea how many where made but it couldn't have been a lot since I have not since I started looking in 2001 found one for sale. You see the movie figures (Kakihara and Ichi) for sale all the time, but never this manga version. I was shocked when one day searching on ebay I came across it for sale with a "Buy It Now". Ended up costing me about $135 shipped, seeing as how it was about $100USD back in 1999 I call that a deal.

I got it a few weeks back but haven't posted pictures yet as I was waiting on a wetsuit from Triad to replace his existing suit. The original suit was crumbling whenever it stretched even a little. I guess that's what happens to almost 10 year old rubber. Otherwise I love him. The lynchpin in the shoe without the blade extended is a nice touch and I love the secondary crying head. That's the head I'll be displaying him with fur sure.

On a side note, damn are the Triad wetsuits tight. I had trouble getting it on this thin small Medicom body. I can't imagine trying to squeeze a Hot Toys True Type or something into it.

I need to figure out a stand that works with him so I can pose him in some more dynamic ways.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those that don't know Ichi the Killer (Koroshiya 1) is a manga by Hideo Yamamoto which was adapted for the silver screen by Takeshi Miike. The story follows a bizzare series of events that begins with the brutal murder of a Yakuza boss. The boss' second in command is a sadomasochist (mostly the later) bent on finding Ichi (his boss' muderer) who he feels is the ulimate sadist (it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the general gist). Anyway Ichi is the brainwashed psychotic tool of an ex-cop bent on taking down the Yakuza in his town. When he attacks (with steel toed and heeled shoes, one of which has a hidden blade that slides out of the heel) he often falls into hysterics crying and screaming. He's a very disturbed man.

Oh and "Ichi" is Japanese for "One"

Hideo Yamamoto is one of my favorite Manga artists/writers and Takeshi Miike is my favorite director. So between the two I'm a huge Ichi fan.

Here's a couple pages from the manga for reference:

·
My friends call me Ray
7,844 Posts
Oh boy! I didn't know someone is looking for this figure so hard. I have been seeing this figure lying quietly in a shop here in Tokyo for more than a year. Swapping wet suit is a good idea. I think now it turns out pretty good. May be I should go to the shop and buy it...

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I notice now looking at the above pics, the only difference between Manga Ichi and Movie Ichi is the chest piece and the head sculpt. All the rest of the pieces are re-used, the movie figure just doesn't have as much variety in the paint.

Some more pics of Ichi. I fixed his shin guards my moving them higher on the leg so the knee pad actually lines up with the knee. Was kind of a bitch as they are very tight. I had to heat them up with a dryer to get them on. Also trimmed the arms a little shorter so that the sleeves weren't so long.

These are pretty much the most dynamic poses I can get out of the old-style Medicom body. Hopefully I can get some cooler poses with the new body I have coming.

This is the suit that came with Ichi. It looked perfectly fine until I moved any of the limbs (as it was purchased MIB). This is why all the damage pretty much appears on the arms and legs.

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
Kakihara would be a great looking figure, and probably something I'd buy if I could. He was probably my favorite character out of sheer character aesthetics.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I first saw Kakihara in the manga I was not very happy about it. I had so fallen in love with Miike's changes to the character (blond hair, insane clothing) as well as Asano's portrayal of the character that the differences in the manga where initially jarring. After reading the whole manga I almost like his character more there. He's more extreme and at the same time more realistic. He's also not nearly as glamorous. He has bulldog like features, is hairy and not exactly fit.

This is from his final show down with Ichi, which is very different in the manga as it hadn't been written when the movie was shooting.

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
Indeed. For me, there was that gritty realism that the manga Kakihara had that the movie version didn't. I felt he was a bit more believable, and as you say, not very glamorous. I didn't really click with the whole rock star feel that other portrayals of the character tried to go for, myself.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I LOVE the Miike film, Miike is pretty much my favorite director but in many ways I like the manga better. Against all logic the manga is far more realistic and thus more brutal and distressing to read.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts