One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a break from some itty-bitty stuff and got thinking of the most important tools on my workbench. Without a doubt, I couldn't do any of my bashes without these four:

#1. X-Acto Knife with sharp #11 blade. NOTHING would happen without these!
#2. Dremel Tool. Most everything needs some shaping, sanding, polishing or gouging.
#3. Magnifying Lamp. Maybe this should be #1, because I can't see too much of this without the magnifier.
#4. Hair Dryer. I mounted this small travel hairdryer to the peg board over my bench for hands-free use. Besides heating heads, hands, boots, etc., it helps to dry glue, leather and cloth things faster so I can keep going while I'm motivated. Also good for shaping plastics.

So what tools can YOU not live without?

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
A fine bradawl - great for help straps in to buckels and so many other things

A set of 5 small jewellers pliers, offset pliers etc.

·
One Sixth Gunsmith
1,234 Posts
I agree with all of the above, particularly the hobby knife ... I find that I reach for that more often than any other tool. I also always use a small nail file (stolen from the better half) for detailed sanding and filing. Other tools include a fine modellers diamond saw, pin vice, various grades of sandpaper, Milliput, Tamiya putty, modelling glue, superglue, and one of those super-geeky magnifying headbands.

·
AKA Nigel...
5,053 Posts
The four things I seem to use the most are my tiny tweezers, some needle nosed pliers, super glue and a small flat head screwdriver - great for tucking things in.

I must say, mounting the hair dryer like that is a brilliant idea, thanks for that :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must say, mounting the hair dryer like that is a brilliant idea, thanks for that :)
You're welcome Nigel. Mine has a folding handle with a sliding control switch. I slipped the handle into a peg board thingy for pliers, and you can adjust the angle. Just be careful what it's blowing off your bench.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
I use almost everything.
Superglue, paperclips, markers, sand paper, chalk pastels, hair spray, and hot glue are some of my mainstays.
I recently got a little 'Hobby Drill' for around 12 dollars, essentially just a little hand drill, extremely useful!

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Dremel tool, Exacto, good tweezers, superglue.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Good tweezers; sanding sticks; side cutters; nail clippers (big, small, inward curve, and flat or outward curve ... and the handles are perfect for tucking in shirts); tooth brush; hair dryer; iron; spray bottle.

EDIT NOTE: Needlepoint scissors, butane lighter, and tea candle.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Almost all of the above......I also have a mini lamp with a headstrap.... The airbrush & compressor are always in use as I also use it on 1/32 scale aircraft & 1/35 armour.....a very handy item indeed.
Chelseaboy

G

·
Good Beer. Love listening to football games on the radio too, in the fall, with 1/6th.

Seriously - I have so many different types of tweezers that I have more than my wife.

Dullcoat is essential as well. Still too damn many shiny items out there (buckles, headsculpts, weapons, etc.).

Had to get my own large tool box for all my 1/6th tools, so no one else takes them.

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts
my most valuable tool is the computer and google haha

ahh, where would i be without you internet-ness...
:agree You know that's probably the biggest helper that all of us use.
It's the quickest reference library that's available and I use it all the time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts