One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this guy last night and really had a blast. While I have been collecting 12" stuff for a while, they are mostly Japanese or Sci-Fi stuff. The Medicom MGS3 Snake and the HotToys Rambos are the closest thing I had to realistic military figures. But recently decided to dive in to get a taste of it after all (thanks to Call of Duty 4 & this website). So after a bit of research, think this is the right guy for me.

Had similar issues like some of you guys had, with the helmet not fitting (end up removing the inner plastic casing and added foamie stickies for cushion), and some accessories are very fiddly and one of the knee pad clip cracked out of the box. But nothing some glue can't fix. But overall, its a lot of toy compare to many of the other 12" figures I've bought. Literally took me a couple hours to equip my guy and adjust all the straps & harnesses to get a nice fit. Lots of fun though and its really great!

So on this one, just swap out a couple things like a cooler pair of Oakley shades, gave him a trigger hand, and used a L96A1 Sniper Rifle instead. Loved that sniper, even though I heard its not an official USMC weapon. Took me some effort to find one too. Darkened the green on it and add some weathering and metal wear. Turn out the gun matches pretty good with the woodland out fit. I've got a bunch of parts on order, so will be personalizing it a bit more later on with some mix & match, probably do some weathering on the uniforms too. But that'll come later. I've talked enough, so here are some rushed pics. Enjoy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why does he have a Brit rifle?
Since I am pretty new to military 12", I am not that knowledgable in terms of who made or use what weapon, which brings me the following question. Do you guys in general follow very closely in who uses what for your figures and customization? Like avoiding using certain weapons, uniforms, backpacks, pouches...etc. that don't use by a particular group in real life? If so, it might give me a better idea on how to mix and match stuff later on to make things more appropriate. I am just going for looks & accessibility (stuff I have or like) right now. However, its really hard for me to pick out a pouch that is used by the Navy Seals, but not by the USMC. But I'll do my research if thats the 'right' way to do it.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Since I am pretty new to military 12", I am not that knowledgable in terms of who made or use what weapon, which brings me the following question. Do you guys in general follow very closely in who uses what for your figures and customization? Like avoiding using certain weapons, uniforms, backpacks, pouches...etc. that don't use by a particular group in real life? If so, it might give me a better idea on how to mix and match stuff later on to make things more appropriate. I am just going for looks & accessibility (stuff I have or like) right now. However, its really hard for me to pick out a pouch that is used by the Navy Seals, but not by the USMC. But I'll do my research if thats the 'right' way to do it.
Well, first that is not the rifle that came with the figure. Or, I should say, that came with my set of the same make. The rifle that came with the HT set was a M40. So, someone switched out the rifle or it is more of a bash. But a good bash. True, the British L96A1 Sniper rifle is not in the Marine inventory, but hey, those HT M40s are expensive and hard to come by in 1:6th scale if it is a bash.

Second, how the bash is constrution depends on the individual. What I have found is that guys who get into this hobby that have been in the military tend to want the figure to be more correct in its representation. But then again we have a point of reference and depending on service and unit, are conditioned that way. Then there are the guys who build their figures from a picture, which will be correct in terms of uniform and equipment match the time period, etc. Then there are the guys who just enjoy the hobby on all its verious levels. God bless their souls!

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
You can make it accurate if you want to, I'd suggest the USMC sniper thread at militaryphotos.net to have a looksee at roughly what they use.

For this instance, its your figure and you seem to like it very much, so I'd leave it for now since you're happy with it.

When you do feel like changing it, I'd swap the L96 for an M40, if you have the one that came with the figure, that should work.
If not, then HT sells them loose for 10 bucks, and Azteca has a really nice deal for one on his list.

The main issue some of these guys have is that you've labeled him USMC, so they'll all bring their collective reference/baggage on the subject matter when they look at it. Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere, and even the 'pro' bashers on the board make goofs every so often. ;)

Anyway.... I do like what you've done with your rifle, it looks great with your repaint and touch up, much better than the flatness of the original. Great pictures too :thumb

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love that rifle.... have been dying to get my hands on one of them but some reason or rather, no one is selling them.......hmmmm. Anyone here can help me on that......??? Anways, great looking bash..... good job

·
Head in the clouds...
1,457 Posts
Great photos and poses. I'm really tempted in picking up this figure. Now to do the research on who has him for the best price... (any suggestions?)

·
Cyber-Bully
956 Posts
My thoughts:

He's a great boxed figure, so I don't really have anything else to say about the composition of parts and what not.

Anyhow, as far as the whole accuracy thing goes, I'm a big nut about it, although I also like to dabble into the realm of "Fantasy" time to time. So unless it's specifically some kind of fantasy unit, my aim is to get as accurate to a subject as I possibly can, and to help me, I hit up various photo reference sites that are around the internet.

The most common one to use is www.militaryphotos.net , and if you have specific gear questions that you can't really pinpoint, then there's always this site to ask. :thumb

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for the comments. Yeah, that militaryphotos site is a great help. Didn't even know they have a reference site like that. And looks like I'll be paying more attention to accuracy from now on, as well as more money, :p especially when certain weapons are very era specific. Like I got the M60E1 machine gun and thinking of equiping it with a modern guy, but now it turns out to be too old of a gun, as they mainly use M60E3 or 4, or the MK43 nowadays (need to research on that too LOL). A lot more homework needs to be done as well, aside the extra money to pay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks guys for the comments. Yeah, that militaryphotos site is a great help. Didn't even know they have a reference site like that. And looks like I'll be paying more attention to accuracy from now on, as well as more money, :p especially when certain weapons are very era specific. Like I got the M60E1 machine gun and thinking of equiping it with a modern guy, but now it turns out to be too old of a gun, as they mainly use M60E3 or 4, or the MK43 nowadays (need to research on that too LOL). A lot more homework needs to be done as well, aside the extra money to pay.
Well this place is a wealth of knowledge between the photos and members there are also lots of members like myself who are actually in the military so that helps alot as well depending on their MOS and branch, have fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
After spending a couple weeks on & off working on this bash, and a fail attempting to turn this guy into a gunner (on my other USMC Gunner thread), guess its still best for him to go back to his roots, a sniper, due to the gears it has. But just for satisfying my crave for a gunner, I decided to give him most of the fire power I've built up in the process just for kicks. So a pretty loaded sniper (almost like a one man army LOL with long range, close quarter, tons of grenades & even a LAW to boot :D), but looks pretty cool. Though he doesn't quite fit as a 23rd Regiment anymore, now that he look quite different. Also added light weathering on the outfit, straps and popped out some small details, so no more clean parts sticking out right beside some weathered gears like before. So I'll call this one done for now. And I dig up this older thread to post so you guys can see the before & after differences. Hope its not too bad of a first military bash, if not a bit overkill. Thanks to all the guys that gave me all the suggestions and comments. Its really quite a fun experience, and never had to read up & research so much on any other 12" figures I have. Here goes the pics.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Well, Scout Snipers do carry a primary close in weapon in addition to their dedicated sniper rifle, the M40, so its not too far fetched. The law may be a little much but it does add a little bit of the extra coolness.
I like that you stick with grunts though, and have fun with the research. It'll help you along with the accuracy and the continued refinement of your Marine sniper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts