One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its actually a resculpt. I finally decided to try and resculpt a head so what other head to try and resculpt other then my fav actor Christian Bale. I used the Triad Toys Enforcer headsculpt as the base. It has that Bale likeness but i just wanted to see how much i could actually improve it. This is an extremely rough draft, I have to smooth out some areas and wanted to get feedback on what You guys think i can improve on. Please be kind remember its my First attempt ever! :devilhnd

Original Head

Attempted Resculpt

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Okay, if you want to do this right -- you need to take a systematic approach. What I like to do besides collecting minimum of 50 photographs of the actual subject from mostly frontal, 3/4 left & right, profile, is to get photos showing high contrast between light and dark. This way contour of facial features really stand out.

A good way is to use photo software and come up with a composite of before & after like the above. What I did was to throw away the color information, then adjust the brightness & contrast.

So, the resculpting method is a good way .. sometimes. If the base/bone structure of the vinyl original is at all close to the subject.

From the looks of it -- you wanted to widen the nose & the chin. I think that's the right call. IMO you're still a little too pointy on the chin, whereas the real man's is perhaps more subtle and rounded. On the before and the real man's photo -- you will see that there is a depressed area between the chin and the lower teeth crop out/lower mouth area, in fact you should see that Mr. Bale has a skin fold line (rinkle) there .. it looks like you filled that natural low spot in when you built the chin up.

The immediate area around the nose -- looks like a sllight built up there (unless it is just the trick of the camera), the after-look is more puffy. The nose itself, for my taste I would have just added some material to the tip and build up the nostrils and left the rest as is, because there is only so much you can do with resculpting, unless you shave off the entire nose and start over (I've done that as well), because the original sculpt just isn't quite right there.

It looks like you wanted a fuller lower lip, again the right call, but it might have been slightly overboard with material built up there, unless you wanted to alter the expression from relaxed to tensed-up/angry/pouty. If that wasn't intended, then a slighter build uip of added material would have been better, and applied more even handed, so not to disturb the horizontal lines of a mouth in a relaxed state.

What both the before & after sculpts are missing are those lines to be found on a person's face tha come down on a 45 degree tangent on most from the nostrils, then down around the crop out of the bite of the upper & lower teeth, which are going to be stand out feature particularly on a person with a very lean face.

The above are just my opion, since you were seeking .. ;)

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Looks good so far,

What are you sculpting with? At the moment it looks as though you need to blend in the appliances a little more. It is possible to do this with 1200 grit wet and dry sand paper. Just sand very lightly.

If you were using Milliput then this can be blended with a wet finger before it sets.

CHEERS!

PS (Check out Hunky Artist's work, he's the master at this sort of thing.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm liking it a lot! Something looks off on the nose though.
Thanks for the call, i just fixed up the nose to be a little closer and thinner like Bales nose

Dudeman:
Thanks my friend, some great tips there, I did want him to have sort of an angry look to him thats why i made the lips as soo, but i will still work on the top lip, as for those lines down the sides of his nose they have been fixed as well. The chin is being shortened.
Roger:
Yep, Darren is a master at resculpting, he is what got me tuned into it.

Thank you guys for being so kind on your remarks the critique really helps me more then you can imagine, i can see it looking so much better already. I'll post more updates soon. I would gladly sell recasts of this sculpt if you guy actually like it hehe, i think we as a community should always allow everyone a shot at custom work.

P.S. if his face looks a little fuller its because i'm looking to make him more of his weight on Batman, so i need to work on the hair as well.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I think it looks great, loads better than the gaunt original. Looks like you gave him a good meal or two ;) Good job, hope to see the ongoing WIP pictures~

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
good looking re-work. His face is more rounded now, and looks more like him. The original sculpt would make a great start for a 'Machinist' custom, being all gaunt and drawn like that. Keep us posted.

Oh yes, if you do a cast of the final, I am interested too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Off to a great start Chris!! For small areas that need smoothing, you can use a paint brush. Use it wet (with water in this case, but not too wet), or dry. It can also be used for slowly shaping an area. Looking forward to the updates!! :thumb

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Off to a great start Chris!! For small areas that need smoothing, you can use a paint brush. Use it wet (with water in this case, but not too wet), or dry. It can also be used for slowly shaping an area. Looking forward to the updates!! :thumb
Man Reggie, you have no idea how much that tip helps man, I would have never thought of that, thanks. More WIP pics coming I just altered the lips and nose so far

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.