One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
i believe in harvey dent
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was inevitable:

i bought a for-cheap true type on ebay (think it was a chris taylor body?) for my bruce wayne. was excited because i didn't pay a whole lot for it and as you all know true types are getting ridiculously expensive.

and then, upon attempting to attach the head, i totally snapped the neck peg. i have seven hot toys figures before this and had yet to break so much as a wrist. clearly the dx12 was just too much excitement. doh!

:knock

i'm thinking this is an unfixable problem. no amount of glue is going to stabilize that peg to make it usable again. i'm willing, however, to be told otherwise if anybody has ever managed to fix one! any hope at all?

in the meantime, bruce will just have to do with wall-tac to keep his head on. he does not look happy about this.

also, he has no feet, so maybe that's contributing to his crankiness.

: o p

·
i believe in harvey dent
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be able to use a small metal pin as reinforcement for the peg.
I agree, looks fix-eable. A dremel with a tiny drill bit, a metal pin or thin screw and some epoxy should do it :)
oh! there's an idea that didn't occur to me!

if i don't have a dremel could i carefully hammer or screw the pin into the peg and then into the body?

and what's the best epoxy or is any epoxy safe (and won't eat the darn thing)?

sorry for the dumb questions, this will be a total learning experience for me.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
If you don't have a dremel, you could buy a pin vise - it's like a mini drill. You'll need a bit the same thickness as your wire (or pin).

Or, you could just pick up a loose head connector - they run around $5 - $7 on Ebay.

·
i believe in harvey dent
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't have a dremel, you could buy a pin vise - it's like a mini drill. You'll need a bit the same thickness as your wire (or pin).
oh thanks! that's an interesting little tool ~ and not terribly expensive. if i'm going to be knocking these things around, i suppose i should invest in some actual tools. :dunce

Or, you could just pick up a loose head connector - they run around $5 - $7 on Ebay.
unfortunately i broke the part that's not swappable. otherwise, yeah, i actually have a few of those laying around.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Oh right, I see what you mean now. In that case, definitely have to glue it back together, and use a thin bit of wire for support. I'd use CAA (Krazy) glue myself.

·
i believe in harvey dent
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh right, I see what you mean now. In that case, definitely have to glue it back together, and use a thin bit of wire for support. I'd use CAA (Krazy) glue myself.
thanks! i will call the local hobby store and see if i can get the vise and the glue ~ i'll try my hand at fixing it this weekend (i am terrible at this sort of thing, so we'll see how it goes!) definitely have to get back on the horse though, or else i will live in fear for all those little heads and necks!

i should also note that the dx12 apparently has a tiny neck pin ~ after breaking chris taylor, i realized that the bruce wayne sculpt actually has an added ring on the inside of the neck adapter, which i hadn't noticed when i tried to pop it on. i think i will just buy him a regular neck for a regular body; lesson learned!

: D

thanks everybody! crisis perhaps averted ~ we'll see!

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,937 Posts
If you find one that has broken knees or arms, you can Frankenstein the body. Pop out the little keyhole shaped plug on his back, and unscrew the body. Swap out the neck joint and re-assemble.

The reinforcing pin is the fastest fix. As an epoxy to hold the pin, and cement the joint, use something like 5 Minute epoxy. Give it a good hour or two to cure just to be sure, before trying to attach the head. It's more permanent than super glue, and not as brittle too.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I don't know if this will work... This is just a theoretical solution...

The tricky part is finding the right screw and drilling inside the ball...

Attachments

·
Figure Dissector
2,041 Posts

I'd do a process where the screw comes from the body to the stump... You cannot use your process because the end at the body is very thin... Little to no support for the screws' threads.

If you've disected a TT, you'll know what I mean......

See the ball neck connector on Jake Sully's TT body (below).... It more or less like that on most TTs.

·
i believe in harvey dent
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you find one that has broken knees or arms, you can Frankenstein the body. Pop out the little keyhole shaped plug on his back, and unscrew the body. Swap out the neck joint and re-assemble.

The reinforcing pin is the fastest fix. As an epoxy to hold the pin, and cement the joint, use something like 5 Minute epoxy. Give it a good hour or two to cure just to be sure, before trying to attach the head. It's more permanent than super glue, and not as brittle too.
thanks for the tips! good idea about swapping ~ could keep my eye out for busted bodies if i can't get the pin fix to work.

Once you've glued that on it will never be as strong again so when you do get round to putting the head back on it, make sure you soften the neck plug in some hot water before pushing it over the ball-joint and it should go on a lot easier.
i actually filed several of my plugs because they were ridiculously tight. will definitely treat the casualty with care in the aftermath! thanks!

I'd do a process the the screw comes from the body to the stump... You cannot use your process because the end at the body is very thin... Little to no support for the screws' threads.

If you've disected a TT, you'll know what I mean......
thanks Zondi and BeastX! it's good to see the interior to know what i'm dealing with ~ another option in case my initial attempt doesn't pan out.

i'm actually excited about trying to work on this. my first hot toys surgery! hopefully i don't kill the patient ~ but then again, he can't get any worse than he already is.

: D

·
Figure Dissector
2,041 Posts
I'd just add that it'll be a simple repair.... Well just to put my words to action I'll repair a broken shoulder with a similar break... Back in an hour or so with pics..

·
Figure Dissector
2,041 Posts
1. Left to right
2. Drill through, ...... with the neck pin above, yours being broken
3. Metal Pin to be inserted.
4. Inserted, Glued, repaired

p.s. did it in approx 40minutes...... Long delayed repair

Attachments

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
1. Left to right
2. Drill through, ...... with the neck pin above, yours being broken
3. Metal Pin to be inserted.
4. Inserted, Glued, repaired

p.s. did it in approx 40minutes...... Long delayed repair
EXACTLY! Pinning works quite well, been doing it for years and years. Started on DnD / 40K minatures.

Take your time, patience... A pin vise, small drill bits and brass rod are what I've been using for years.

Go visit your local hobby shop, get the parts, fix it and show us pics! :hifive

1 - 20 of 32 Posts