One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the Hasbro Sandtrooper sitting on the shelf, right out of the box, I don't have any SW figs in 1/6.

Figured I'd see how close I could get to a Mandallorian helmet. I used my 1/1 that I scratchbuilt out of metal maybe three years ago as a guide towards the end/final shaping.
Most of the work was just by memory, and mostly done with a No. 11 Exacto.

Started with a DML HS, built-up with clay. All features and shaping are of Bondo. Prime, sand, prime, etc.....

I don't know if I have enough silicone after some of my last projects, so this one may have to wait until the next batch to make a true helmet.

Still some work to do.

Thanks for looking. :)

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
Right on dude!
Both look great, the 1:6 one will look sweet when done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many thanks to all for the comments. :) I didn't expect the 1/1 one to get much notice.

3d Nomad, yes, you're correct. I'd like to give a bit of useless personal background info on the "Fett" helmet.
The numero uno site for anyone wishing to replicate the Fett costume in 1/1 has taken, literally, every square visible inch of the original in picture form (of which there is a resource of hundreds of pics from every angle) and disected it. The most minute detail is debated and discussed to extent. Not
the least of which, is the origin of the helmet (don't even get those folks started on the different kinds, ie: RotJ, ESB, Special Edition, etc.).

So much of the original trilogy props and costumes were created from "found items", or things that they more or less combined to make the finished product. A good example is the Sandtroopers using MG-34 surplus weapons. Much of the original SW stuff could trace back to WWII surplus in the 1970's. Boba has everything from British dental expanders to windshield wiper blades for his effect. :)

The problem that every replicator of the Fett helmet faced was improper shape of the crown. Nobody ever got it "quite right". It took me a while of staring at the multitude of photos until it hit me.....it's a GI steelpot. From there, I cut an old cracked helmet, and built my all-metal version. Comparison pictures done to the original show about the closest match as any (attributed to the imperfect angle of camera origin). It's also the only one rated to .30 roundball :lol .

So, to make a short story quite tedious, I did the same thing here in 1/6. Since my helmet would be made removable, I needed it to be able to fit a fig's head. I used a BBI steelpot, and cast a shell of that. The crown of my Mandallorian helmet is made from a cast of a helmet. I'm pretty much limited to those parameters for the rest of my design. The mistakes I made in my 1/1 are surely to be repeated, and compounded, in the smaller version.

It's not perfect by a longshot, and I truly am impressed that you spotted the discrepancy. That's a good eye, for sure. I think alot of it can be corrected by making the helmet trim not so raised. The higher trim will draw the eye into making the lower portions look smaller. Just a thought. I'll try it and see.

At any rate, none of my pathetic attempts are ever perfect. I try to get it close, but kinda like the aura of toyness to the hobby. :) Plus, it can just be Gravy Fett, the guy with the weird helmet. :lol

Again, thanks to everybody for the comments and support. I appreciate all observations.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Tell the truth, the resin model is 1/1 and the big one is made to fit yer melon, LOLOL

You always demure that you've thrown stuff together in your own poor way Armand, but your are hellishly talented. I believe you can do and make just about anything, because you possess both the skill and the ornery mulish stubborness. This helmet's just one more example.

·
Premium Member
6,423 Posts
Nice work there LG! Waiting to see the final product. :thumb
The 1:1 is VERY nice! It defintely shows the amount of effort that went into that! :thumb
Oh, any photo op of Gravy Fett? ;)

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
.......... Stop making me want a 1:1 Boba Fett helmet. >.<!
That is a lot of great insight into the construction of both helms, and judging from the quality and workmanship of your life sized replica, I have no doubt that your 1/6th helm will be a work of art.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:O :erm

You guys are making me blush as I read all the comments. What takes seconds to type out to some idiot with a can of Bondo and an Exacto knife, means more to him than any of you will ever realize. Thank you all so very much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Auret and Fahruvruh...ruh...Farvuhrurha.....thanks. ;)

I just wanted to make something clear. I was asked if this was a recast of an existing Fett helmet recently, to the point where it could have even been construed as accusatory. (I have not heard back since my reply)

If anyone has any doubts that this was 100% scratchbuilt by me, then I will be happy to break or cut the master/plug seen in these WIP pics and show the various layers of Bondo used in construction (my preferred medium for many projects). I wouldn't be happy about destroying the original, but I certainly will defend my claim to this being original work.

·
OSW Pug Warrior
5,658 Posts
I'm afraid to go SW 1/6th. Too many great contributors already plus I think I will go broke. I'm already half-broke from the 3 3/4" figs & vehicles. I use my soon-to-be 5 years old son as my excuse. I blame GaiaGear for getting me into it. Sigh.

Nice sculpting, LG2! But boy, that full scale helmet's pretty eye boggling! :eek

1 - 20 of 20 Posts