One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had some time today (with no children around) so I got to use my power tools. Hard to do with an 18 month old running around. So I decided to start my DSV project. Here is what I had to start with.

I have cut off the side pods. First I etched a line so I knew where to cut with my dremel. Unfortunetly, the dremel got away from me on more than one instance. But I still got the pods removed. I had to use my jewelers saw in the tight spots.

Now that the pods are removed, I will replace them with pods made from this wire mesh.

Not sure how I am going to make the pods just yet. With solid fronts and backs or completely mesh. First I need to make the templates for the pods than cut and form what I have. I hope to do that tomorrow. I will update this thread as I work on this over the winter.

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
your a better man than i am gunga din.my buggy sits in a closet,awaiting the day i work up the nerve to 'go dremel' on it.thumbs up and fingers crossed for ya.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
Nice!! I been wanting to replace the pods on mine also as well as the grate on top of the roll cage.
I'm with tigerstripeblue though, no nerve yet...lol.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Cool project HP, good to see pictures of it finally. Heh I had that folder/envelope holder that you *used* to have also at some point in time. Have fun with the project, its very ambitious. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Hiya, Hollowpoint!

Looks like you're off to a good start... can't wait to see the finished project. Good Luck!

Russ
Proud son of Rose and Wes

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now with mesh side pods!

Well, been hard at it. Some trial and error (BIG error). But the sidepods are made. Right now this is just a mock up. They have not been attached to the vehicle yet. Due to my error, I can't mount them the way I originally wanted to with the mexh mounted into grooves. My dremel skills (or lack thereof) made that impossible. So back to the drawing board. I also still need to decide what to do with the ends of the pods. Solid styrene or mesh as well? Decisions, decisions. But here are the pics of the mock up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks awesome. I thought about cutting the sides off of mine too, and rework them, but I was too chicken. In the end I just dremeled off the areas where the wire mesh would be and epoxy'd the roll of plastic chain link fence I got from opsgear(?) when they were still around. It looked good enuf for me, but in retrospect, a finer gauge of wire would have been better. Great job!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.