One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only (tiny) criticism I would make is that the straps would be on the inside of the front apron, not the outside. Looks great otherwise :)

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I did do some a little more improvement.

Talysman, I just did that looking at the pictures of kilts. I have move them.

Canuck! Many of hours of Hand Sewing. :D

·
Registered
724 Posts
It looks pretty good for the first attempt. Is it an Irish kilt? or are you going to paint a tartan on it?

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
********. Yes it is a Irish Kilt. Working on another Fictional Project. I do have a Tartan version I want to make.

MikeAP001. Actually no. I found the pattern online over Via Google. I did a google search for. *How to make you own Kilt.* There where only a few that was actually understandable.

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
Looking good, Uswin! :thumb

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Neat and gorgeous piece of custom work, I like it!! I wish you could do a current army Irish soldier with a Steyr AUG, that Kilt and the rest of that amazing gear you already did...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
nice work, kilts are hard, all that pleating in the back can be tough to do, in scale.

I'd take it, proudly, for my Scots.

And yes, technically, the leather straps are on the "inside" piece/fold, and poke through a button hole on the top/waist (mine does), and don't poke through on the lower one.

Also, your kilt may be riding a bit low, it's hard to tell with the figure's sixpack, but typically, the top of the kilt is much higher than a standard waist on jeans or slacks. Hard to tell here, it may be low, but it may not be, without a shirt it can be deceiving.

Please, feel free to send all your "discards" and imperfects to me. I would hate for them to clutter up your free space, so...

·
1:6 Scale Kilt Maker
232 Posts
'I think I failed'?

Not at all, great first shot all around. The pleats are crisp and uniform, the stitching (by hand?!?!?!) is uniform and straight. Great work, especially for a first attempt. Bravo.

As far as criticisms go, the buttons are farby. The side straps should be inside the very top seam. You'll solve the problem of the outer skirts overhanging each other by moving those buckles up a hair. You'll find the bulk and stiffness in the waist eliminated by leaving off that top piece.

Kilts are worn mid-navel to mid knee, btw. if you find a source for Irish National tartan, don't keep it secret. I've been chasing that yeti unsuccessfully for years.

Buy a small sewing machine; it'll make the work faster. Keep at it, great work.

Best
Will E.

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks RedDevil.

Actually, I going to get one of them Mini Travel Sewing Machines. But do to my funds. It's something that has to wait.

I am making a new Left Green looking Kilt. This one I won't have the Wrist thingy like this one does. I have done some more to it. Sad part is, this Kilt has 20 Pleads. Not the 22 Pleads. *Shrugs* Tried.

It was a fun project. So I going to make another one.

Irish National Tartan! GAH! I would love to fine that... So blasted hard to fine in 1:1.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,960 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me. Nice work Uswin. The material looks like the covers that went over the kilt in WWI.

My kilt has straps on both side at the waist. Single strap each side. The strap comes through a slot in the front flap, and goes to the side buckle. I'll see if I can find some pics of mine.

I'm assuming you are talking about Irish National Tartan in 1:6 scale or close to it. I found tons of pics of it online. I'll check a local store and see if there are any magnets with the tartan on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts