One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally did the comparison shoot between the Kaustic Plastik KP01 and the ACI Andrew muscle bodies. Click any photo to get to a larger version, and visit the Flickr set for a few more photos and comparisons.

I say "vs," but I don't think it's really a competition because these guys are both great and each one does stuff the other doesn't. Which one you pick is really going to depend on what you want. I can probably do a comparison with the Bruce Lee body, too, since that's the only HT muscle body I own, but I didn't want to get him out of his clothing because I'm lazy.

Kaustic Plastik's KP01 figure is on the left, ACI Andrew is on the right (using a Hot Toys head, since the figure comes headless).

Boxer shorts do not come with either figure. They're from Project-ARE.

The Andrew figure is definitely bigger and bulkier, but the KP01 comes with a joint at the diaphragm. Since both have waist joints, you can do turned-torso poses, but the KP01 gets a slight edge in articulation for that rib-cage joint. However, it'll obviously look wrong if you're doing a bare-chested look.

The Andrew comes with a double-jointed knee vs. the single-jointed knee of the KP01. The ankles are both held in with pegs, and despite what it might look like, they're both equally flexible.

Muscle bodies sacrifice articulation for sculpting (kind of like real bodybuilders do). The Andrew has a slight advantage over the KP01. KP01 can only get a 90-degree bend in the elbow, while the Andrew can get a little bit past that.

However, the KP01 does better in shoulder articulation. Both figures show how far the shoulder joint can be rotated upwards from a neutral position. The Andrew can't get more than 90-degrees, but the KP01 can get a little past that.

Also worth pointing out now that the KP01 shoulder joint moves freely, while the Andrew shoulder joint is ratcheted at the shoulder for up/down movement like this. This shoulder joint is the only click-y joint on the Andrew.

The Jean-Claude Van Damme test. Both figures' hip articulation is excellent, but the KP01 gets a slight advantage.

As with the elbows, the knee joints on the KP01 don't go past a 90-degree bend. It's still possible to get the KP01 into a one-knee pose, but it will take a bit of fiddling.

The Andrew has double-jointed knees, and the difference in articulation is pretty sizeable. The knee joints go well past 90-degrees, so you can almost get the figure into a crouch when you do a one-knee pose.

Interestingly, I think it's a tiny bit harder to balance the Andrew in this pose because the upper torso is so heavy he tends to tip over, and the weight can overcome the naturally stiff hip and ankle joints. Once you get him in a pose, he's very stable, but it can be a bit tricky to get him in this pose, too.

Muscle body karate. I studied Shotokan karate-do for a number of years, and it seemed appropriate to pose both figures in "sochin" stance (immovable), since it's one of the strongest katas in Shotokan. Both figures got into the pose pretty easily, though I wish I had fists to go with the figures. The Andrew comes with 3 pairs of spare hands, but none of them are fists. The KP01 comes with only one pair of spare hands, one of which is fist-like, but is actually more of a gripping hand.

Interestingly, despite the slightly more limited articulation of the KP01, I found it easier to get him into a stable sochin stance.

Click here if you want to see what sochin stance is supposed to look like (although my pose is backwards from the opening stance of the kata).

I put both the KP01 and the Andrew into the same Soldier Story combat shirt to see what they'd look like with clothing on. The KP01 is indistinguishable from a standard jointed body, but even the Andrew is only a little bit bigger. It was also not easy to get this style of shirt on the Andrew because of his big upper torso and relatively inflexible arms. My advice is to use shirts that are cut extra big and extra stretchy.

Quick shot of the Andrew next to a Hot Toys True Type to show the height difference (which is small but noticeable). The body is the musuclar body that came with the Barack Obama headsculpt, which I've replaced with the Sideshow Stalker head for my own nefarious purposes.

I also wanted to see how easy and how convincing it was to pose these figures so I tried getting them into a shooting posture with a Soldier Story M4. The Andrew can get into a decent pose (at least to my entirely untrained eye), but has no chance of sighting down the rifle.

This is the test where the lack of elbow articulation really hurts the KP01. He can't get into a reasonable shooting pose at all because the elbow just doesn't bend in far enough, let alone get the rifle up high enough to look like he's using the sights.

Just for comparison purposes, this is the TrueType doing the same shooting posture, which was achieved far faster and far better. As you can see, you do lose significant articulation using either muscle body.

As I said, I think both these figures look great and have terrific build quality, but you will pay a price in articulation. If you want someone normal-sized but toned, the KP01 is the better choice. If you want someone noticeably bigger, then the Andrew is better. Judging by the pre-production photos, the upcoming Kaustic Plastik KP02 will be the figure of choice for the giants. I don't know that I'll be able to do a side-by-side when I get mine in, but I'll at least get one in more or less the same shots as above for a fair basis of comparison.

EDIT: Forgot about my compatibility notes. The Andrew ankle pegs are compatible with Hot Toys ankle balls, but the HT-compatible feet I tried were much, much looser than the ones that come with the Andrew, and couldn't support the weight of the figure. Andrew's feet are really big, too, so you'll either need boots and shoes that are cut big or loosen those laces. Soldier Story boots are just barely big enough to fit the feet, New Line Miniature boots are OK, and things like the Crazy Dummy short boots or ACI's own boots will work fine. The ACI wrist pins are a little bit bigger than HT wrist pins, but comparable to wrist pins from Toys City/TTL, and Soldier Story.

Haven't messed around much with the KP01's hands and feet. I will probably get a few pics of the Andrew in his Big Mean Marine outfit sometime soon.

·
motivated and dedicated
1,754 Posts
Thanks for the comparison. Ive been looking for a muscle body but can never decide on which or which one suited my needs.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
This is a great comparison. Seriously...damn fine.

Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If I may say my opinion, I think you should compare kaustic Heroic with Andrew body..,.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
The Kaustic body is suppose to be of a slim guy who is in good shape, while the Andrew body is a more beefier muscle guy...The Kaustic guy is probably suppose to weigh between 170 and 190 while the Andrew is probably 200-230.... good comparison...the choice depends on whether you want a slim fit guy, or the more beefier look like he could play football athletic guy.....

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
That Andrew is a good body.

Thing is, if you're going to dress a figure from head to toe, you wouldn't use a muscle body anyway.

CHEERS!

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

If I may say my opinion, I think you should compare kaustic Heroic with Andrew body..,.
I plan to do just that, though it'll have to wait until I have the Heroik (KP02) body in hand, and it's not released yet. I am eagerly awaiting my pre-order, though.

Thing is, if you're going to dress a figure from head to toe, you wouldn't use a muscle body anyway.
Well, yes and no. The Andrew body (and, eventually, the KP02 Heroik body) has enough extra height and mass that you can see it even if they are fully clothed (especially if they're standing next to a normal body). The comparison above is between the Andrew and the biggest True Type that isn't a muscle body, and you can still see the Andrew is a bit taller and bulkier.

This is definitely not true of the KP01 (the "Realistik" body), which isn't much bigger than a regular a jointed body when it's wearing clothing, so it's pretty much best used for bashes where you can show off that great sculpting job.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the review. The Andrew body you reviewed is Ver.0 correct? I went ahead and ordered that since I couldn't wait for my KP Heroic to arrive.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Tks for posting, great review--touching on many aspects important to any collector..

·
Registered
412 Posts

CHEERS!
Andrew is also very good for buffed characters wearing t-shirts like the Punisher (without the trench) and actionfiguremovies did a cool Captain bash.

Point is, even when covered, those muscles show :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
This isn't so much a comment on the comparison/review (which was great, BTW), but since both of these bodies are supposed to be able to swap parts with Hot Toys parts, I assumed their parts would be interchangeable, as well. I was wrong. The KP head socket will not accept the neck post of the ACI body. The ball on the end of the neck post is just too big for the socket. I used the KP head on the Andrew 1.1 to make a Tarzan custom (I considered wigging him, but the hair on the KP seems like a decent Edwardian-era style), and I had to epoxy the post inside the socket. It worked fine, but just a heads-up that it won't work without some tinkering of some sort. The hands swapped fine, but I'm not sure of anything beyond that.

·
ever wearing flipflops
10,477 Posts
Great review - very informative info herein. I have been looking at these figures on sites and I have to say that your pics have given me more and better info that anything I have seen thus far:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts