One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Looking for multiple expressions head sculpt for the same character so I can make stop motion animations with the character.

Anyone got any tips?

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
You’re looking for something that should exist but doesn’t, and I don’t know why not. Somebody’s leaving money on the table. I’d kill for a HT quality sculpt that would come with 3 options, Neutral, Angry and something else. That would become my standard guy for photoshoots. In 1/12 scale Mezco has been doing this a lot, so it makes me think how much I’d like it in 1/6.

Sideshow Superman was a 3 sculpt deal, but too recognizable, too cartoony, and the third sculpt was too unique (heat vision). There are some cases where you can assemble different expressions from separately released figures, like eg Harley Quinn. My best recommendation would probably be Hot Toys Leonidas that gives you two very distinct expressions, neutral/determined and angry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're looking for something that should exist but doesn't, and I don't know why not. Somebody's leaving money on the table. I'd kill for a HT quality sculpt that would come with 3 options, Neutral, Angry and something else. That would become my standard guy for photoshoots. In 1/12 scale Mezco has been doing this a lot, so it makes me think how much I'd like it in 1/6.
I found this: Joshua Flynn: Puppet Head Sculpt- Mail Man Part III

Still investigating - will post more if I find something noteworthy.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Welcome ciscokid :welcome. Love the figures on the link. But looks like a project, not for selling ? Good luck, if You found something I´m in

There´s CrazyTalk, it´s for free and not bad for stop motion. You can test it by download

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
Actually, I'm sure this did exist a long time ago. I seem to recall, well over a decade ago by now, that BBi had some figures which had a slot in the back of their heads. Putting an included tool into this and turning it altered the expression. I am pretty sure I am not imagining this? One was on an LAPD SWAT figure 'Barret' I'm sure. This allowed you to alter expressions without actually changing the heads at all.

Anyone else wanna chime in on that?

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Actually, I'm sure this did exist a long time ago. I seem to recall, well over a decade ago by now, that BBi had some figures which had a slot in the back of their heads. Putting an included tool into this and turning it altered the expression. I am pretty sure I am not imagining this? One was on an LAPD SWAT figure 'Barret' I'm sure. This allowed you to alter expressions without actually changing the heads at all.

Pure gimmick, didn't do much beyond distort/squeeze the face and it did not create expressions that were meaningful. Some were posted here last time this subject came up. Many of those figures have probably rotted away due to the quality of the rubber especially if they were left in a stretched position. I have one that's corrupted in such a perfect way that it makes an accidental zombie bash.

For that kind of thing we could also mention the various PERS or movable eyeball figures all the way back to Eagle-Eye GI Joe. They never worked very well but they did work sorta, so they can be used for a bit of facial movement.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Barret with "Custom Expression Mechanism"
barret.JPG

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
That thing with the magnets (in the provided link) is actually a fairly decent idea. Something like this has been done with cowled or masked heads, where the exposed part (usually the mouth) can be swapped for different expressions. How well this can be applied to a regular bare-headed sculpt I don't know, and to some extent even the eyes and brow might have to be altered to achieve proper alternative looks. I was recently doing some photos with the new Viggo rooted hair head sculpt (HERE), and when I was trying to yank it off the Phicen body, the head largely fell apart, the face detaching from the rest. Of course I fixed it immediately, but a head with a swapable face would make sense; though it might require the kind of hair sculpt (or rooted hair) to hide the seams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome ciscokid :welcome. Love the figures on the link. But looks like a project, not for selling ? Good luck, if You found something I´m in

There´s CrazyTalk, it´s for free and not bad for stop motion. You can test it by download
definitely a project for a movie - and what i'm realizing is that the magnet swappable mouths and brows are not commercially available tech. they're made custom for professional film characters.

exploring crazytalk - it looks like a powerful tool... and very convincing!

thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think a skilled head sculptist could do this in no time - another option would be to 3-d print the expressions... from what i've seen, theoretically, one could take CrazyTalk and 3-d model all desired expressions to fire off to a 3-d printer - there's some post assembly work that will need to be done to attach the magnets and possibly some filing for finishing touches to get the right fit.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did these sculpts a while back.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

There are three sculpts. standard smiling and closed eyes. The open eye sculpts have moving eyes and the hair pieces are able to swap out with other sculpts or wigs.
I liked the sculpt and the options but I did not like casting them and trying to clean them up.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts

There are three sculpts. standard smiling and closed eyes. The open eye sculpts have moving eyes and the hair pieces are able to swap out with other sculpts or wigs.
I liked the sculpt and the options but I did not like casting them and trying to clean them up.
I think those are just wonderful -- compliments. :clap

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

Great Work ! Where i can buy ? :gimme

I made this here with crazy talk some Years ago... You have to turn your Audio on maximum, he speaks very quiet

Raghnal der Wunderliche - YouTube

And this here was a face with two expressions

Feenari Shurr'nish, Khajiit Shaman

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
bbi gets an A for effort for trying to make sculpts with some articulation. This was years ago and I'm surprised no one else has tried to do it better.

·
Firearms collector
453 Posts
I seem to recall DAM and Soldier Story each releasing sculpts of the same character with different expressions across multiple figures. Problem is, I can't remember which sets had one of the pair for each character. Maybe someone can add to this?

DAM:

Regular expression: ???
Shouting expression: M27 IAR rifleman

SS:

Regular expression: Feldgendarmarie Das Heeres 1945
Shouting expression: ???

·
2,105 Posts
Some really nice work by callous and Ephiane!
The smaller scale soldiers from NECA's aliens (or was it predators) came with two interchangeable heads, with different expressions. But those were entire heads, just like Hot Toys' Leonidas, who had a relatively calm face and then a war cry (or "This is Sparta") one. Quite apart from the general desirability of multiple head sculpts with different expressions (or something that would convey that in the end), some head sculpts are practically begging for an alternate one. For example, Hot Toys' General Zod. Or, by the looks of it, Hot Toys' upcoming Emperor Palapatine, the prototypes of which show him with a big evil grin. I'd rather have something more neutral or both.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
IMHO simple swappable heads is the only way to go that avoids weird twists or cuts on the face. The only reason "lower face plates" work on Batman, Dredd etc. is that the mask edge conceals the joint.

Getting anywhere from 3 to 5 heads has become standard on the Mezco One:12. Basically they apply Hot Toys standards, using fabric and accessories, to 1/12 scale, $80-$120 price figures, and have revolutionized 1/12 scale figures. I know 1/6 headsculpts are more expensive, but still, I'd much rather pay for a second head than a resin base. Wouldn't this choice be great to have on a 1/6 figure, whether for photoshoots or just to vary the display a little:

·
2,105 Posts
Good example, Moonbase Alpha Male (I resisted the fleeting temptation of abbreviating you to MAM). And it does show some very good quality for that scale. I notice that, perhaps because the character is a wacky one, they do seem to lack a "normal" or "neutral" expression here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts