One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My other pc took a crap a couple weeks ago and it seems the MOBO went south on me. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to PC's. Here's the info I was able to come up with:

HP m7350n

MOBO: manufacturer Asus
MOBO name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq name: Emery UL8E

Base Processor
Pentium D 920 (P) DC 2.8GHz

Chip set
Intel 945P

Questions
1. Where's the best place to get MOBO's?
2. Do I have to get the same MOBO or can I get whatever I want?
3. Does the Processor come with the MOBO or is that a separate purchase?
4. Same question as above for the Chip Set or is that part of the MOBO?

Side note:
My graphics card is a PCI-Express so I'd need that type of slot on the MOBO.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
My other pc took a crap a couple weeks ago and it seems the MOBO went south on me. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to PC's. Here's the info I was able to come up with:

HP m7350n

MOBO: manufacturer Asus
MOBO name: P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq name: Emery UL8E

Base Processor
Pentium D 920 (P) DC 2.8GHz

Chip set
Intel 945P

Questions
1. Where's the best place to get MOBO's? http://www.newegg.com/
2. Do I have to get the same MOBO or can I get whatever I want? If you dont you will have to reinstall your OS because the MoBos are differemnt
3. Does the Processor come with the MOBO or is that a separate purchase? if you get a Mobo that supports your processor you can use the one that came with your system
4. Same question as above for the Chip Set or is that part of the MOBO? thats part of the mobo

Side note:
My graphics card is a PCI-Express so I'd need that type of slot on the MOBO. Yes
Your CPU, memory, Harddrives, video card (if its a name brand) will work with any motherbaord you buy (well as long as the board used the type of CPU, vidoe card supports the correct slot, memory is the correct type, etc) but if you totally change your motherboard your HP install CD may not work because its propiatory so you may have to buy a windows CD also

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
Frys.com, Newegg.com & Tigerdirect.com have a good selction and decent prices. Once in a while they have some really good sales too.

In regards to your CPU, are you sure it is modular? A lot of mfg's build the processor right into the MOBO and removing it is not an option. But if it is make sure the MOBO you buy has the correct socket for your CPU. Also check what type of RAM you have, is it DDR, DDR2 or DDR3. Newer boards are DDR2 & DDR3 only. I believe the chipset they are referring to is the Northbridge chipset, which comes with your MOBO.

You can buy MOBO's with the CPU's or you can buy them seperate. I do my own builds so I buy piece by piece.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
here's the best alternative to fix your computer- buy a Mac. I was think about buying one after my motherboard started to melt (Yes, it melted after the cooling fan got jammed, and after being on for 2 days, it stopped working). But as the price is a bit more than an entire windows computer,you will save money in the longrun. My (sister's) computer requires that vista (uber-shi**y OS) need updates every other day, and that we need to buy new u[grades every so often.

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
here's the best alternative to fix your computer- buy a Mac. I was think about buying one after my motherboard started to melt (Yes, it melted after the cooling fan got jammed, and after being on for 2 days, it stopped working). But as the price is a bit more than an entire windows computer,you will save money in the longrun. My (sister's) computer requires that vista (uber-shi**y OS) need updates every other day, and that we need to buy new u[grades every so often.
Don't go there soldat

Windows represent 96% of the OS's in use in the world

the remaining 4% are split between Mac, Linux, Unix, etc.

96 precent of the PC in use can't be wrong

Now I have supported Windows and Macs for over 11 years now and Windows are by far the best standard OS that I have used. Sure Macs today are great

Hell Im considering getting a Macbook myself (on average double the price of a compatable windows PC.......Thanks Steve Jobs)

But Mac's are crap in a Enterprise enviornment

Try changing you password on a Mac on a standard Windows network

Good luck

We had to develope a web interface because you cant set a password on Macs

Try finding Windows compatable enterprise software for a mac

Sure macs have office compatable apps but they arent fully compatable

I constantly have to fix macs office clones because they dont translate well to there windows apps

Soldat Macs are in for repairs at about the same percentage as windows are ...hardware is hardware

software well considering windows PC out software macs by about 20 to 1 you would have to expect problems

Oh yeah a a recient PC security conferance Mac was found to be almost a flawed as Windows the reason there isnt more Mac based threats is hackers and scammers do see any reason or money in it .... remember less than 4%

and lets not even go near games

Hell I own a Iphone

I have PC parts (memory, motherboards, CPUs etc.) in use in my house that are 7-6 years old and going strong

6-7 years for computer parts is damned good

Now Soldat dont go there

See I know

Been there done that

and I actually have teeshirts to prove it

54thCuda2

I suggest you call HP and see if they will send you a repacement motherboard

Thats probably the best route to take

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like that would be a good start Chet, didn't think of that. Thanks for the idea.

A MAC? I'd buy another Gateway before I'd consider a Mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.