One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy fellas

I need some inspiration for an upcoming dio. I'm going to do a US mortar pit with a 2 man crew most likely a long time firebase and I have no clue on how one should be set up :bag So please show your mortar pits it would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
255 Posts
What period? For Viet Nam, I would recommend copying the one from The Green Berets. It is pretty well done with the aiming points all marked around the top of the pit. Loads of sand bags are needed. For WWII German, I got a wicker waste basket from a furniture store that I was gonna cut to use for my kraut 8.1cm mortar, I never got around to actually doing it but, I was following a diagram from the Osprey book on German defensive works.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops should stated that.The Period is WWII. Thanks for the input Mac.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mac the links do not seem to work. But thanks for the input again Mac :thumb

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
This is an interesting proposition, as I wonder how frequent the opportunity was to build a true mortar pit. During mobile phases, US mortars were often on the move (truck, halftrack, "shank's mare"...) and were probably set up in some concealed area or dug in pretty quickly. I seem to remember seeing one (a 60mm) firing from a dugout with some branches or small logs to the front, almost like a pillbox.
Developed mortar pits for US forces sounds closer to Korea and Vietnam.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dug the trench today i'll get pics of it tomorrow and you guys can take a look at it :) Thanks PD for the input :thumb:

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks awesome Mikoyan and Thanks for the Input :banana

1 - 11 of 11 Posts