One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a couple Hot Toys clone type figures and am finding that their hands and feet come off way to easily.
I am intending these to be "Play" figures and having hands and feet come off so easily and getting lost makes them unsuitable.
Anyone have ideas for replacement joints? Perhaps ball and socket type joints?

Lego ball and socket or something similar but smaller is what I believe I am looking for.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The easiest way to fix this is to increase the outer diameter of the connecting joint to account for the poor tolerances. Commonly used materials to do so are nail polish, adhesive layers, plumbers tape, etc. This is usually a much simpler solution, and one that can be repeated over time if necessary.

Annoying problem that could easily be fixed if the factories would use something vaugely resembling steel when making their molds and machines newer than the 80's. :doh

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
I usually use tape to improve joint tightness, or glue. You have to be careful with the glue though, or else you could seriously limit the posing of a figure, haha

·
Registered
384 Posts
While on this subject I have one of the new phicen 's (Sun tan lg breast) and when changing hands the cup that holds the wrist peg got enlarged and now won't hold the peg. Any ideas??

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The glue and plumbers Teflon tape are ideas that might work if the figures are just intended to sit on the shelf. If they get handled a lot as they would in a play session, these ideas are not as good.

It seems that other than Hasbro stuff and they are out of production now, manufacturers only were making poseable models for the last decade or two. The idea that a child might take the figure and move it around a lot doesn't seem to be a consideration.

I was thinking Lego because Lego is extremely consistent in fit and stands up to a lot of use without wearing out. Their ball and socket joints are not bad but just a little too big for replacing a wrist or ankle connector.

I have thought about 3D printing some pieces, but have seen from others' work that the surface finish is not very good.

Raiderroy appears to be having a very similar problem but in his case it is a repair. In my case, the original design wasn't so good.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
For an adult handling the product either solution will work for an extended period of time. For a child you are better off finding a different product. The KO bodies are made for sub $5, using sloppy molds with poor tolerances and poor materials. Something made for a Lego or Hasbro is made properly, with proper steel for the mold and equipment that can actually produce fine tolerances. This is why alot of the knock off lego product has issues performing its basic function of sticking together and why lego can last for many many years and still perform to spec. Alot of brands don't put too much thought or testing into their bodies unfortunately and very rarely ever pay to retool molds that were poorly done.

The glue and plumbers Teflon tape are ideas that might work if the figures are just intended to sit on the shelf. If they get handled a lot as they would in a play session, these ideas are not as good.

It seems that other than Hasbro stuff and they are out of production now, manufacturers only were making poseable models for the last decade or two. The idea that a child might take the figure and move it around a lot doesn't seem to be a consideration.

I was thinking Lego because Lego is extremely consistent in fit and stands up to a lot of use without wearing out. Their ball and socket joints are not bad but just a little too big for replacing a wrist or ankle connector.

I have thought about 3D printing some pieces, but have seen from others' work that the surface finish is not very good.

Raiderroy appears to be having a very similar problem but in his case it is a repair. In my case, the original design wasn't so good.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello AdamC,

Instead of "adult use", what you are really describing are shelf decorations.
Yes, they are poseable, but they are "inaction" figures and are not what I am trying to build. The "adult use" figures also don't get moved around much after they are posed. In a lifetime, they may not see as much use as one of my son's figures do in an evening.

I have the same objection my kids do regarding figures that are too fragile or have parts that are only a friction fit. That is why the very close tolerance Obitsu figures have never joined the "population" of play figures that my kids and I have. We like the extra range of motion along with a bit of sturdiness which is why we keep hunting for the Super Articulated GI Joes.

I have a few of the more "adult model" type figures but am trying to figure out what to do about their poor wrist and ankle joints.

I still haven't figured out why anyone would want a double ball and socket joint in the ankles.

As for knock-off versus authentic, I have enough BBI, Dragon, SideShow and other name brands that were poorly made.
I have also come across non-branded figures that were quite good quality which I suspect was because the actual manufacturer of the name brands also popped a few thousand non-marked versions for others.

So the search continues and failing the search, the goal now is to fix bothersome features in the figures we own.

- Ivan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts