One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tiger I Info Center
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molecule8 posted an announcement about their Mark-01 Endoskeleton being available for pre-order as a stand alone figure of it's own. My understanding is that it is meant to be the basis for all their figures. I have to admit it looks very good. And their website presentation is very slick.

The Mark I Endoskeleton - Molecule8

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It's more renders, and not an actual prototype. I'm really worried for all the people that have given them money. It all sounds too good to be true.

·
Tiger I Info Center
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems to be the general sentiment everywhere, on this board, on Facebook and SSF. I wonder if they are aware of it.

As far as the Endoskeleton goes, assuming they actually produce one that looks like the renders, it would have something I have always wanted in a figure which is articulated fingers.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I for one think there is no way in hell they are using that skeleton for inside of the bodies. That is a lot of manufacturing to put inside of a body where it's not going to be seen.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I pulled out my pre-order after seeing this skeleton body.
It doesn't seem like they know what they are doing.. All pretty render pictures and K.A Kim's head sculpt. That's all they have so far.
Not good enough to put $$$ yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't get this why are you all being so negative?

Let me explain: so all we have to see are CGI renders, but how many other products start life like this. I'm thinking images of head sculpts that people rave over, but what do we all say "let's see what they look like in-hand first"

I have looked at their site and , well I may be wrong, I can't see where it suggests that the skeleton would be the basis of anything else other than a stand alone terminator style figure. If they could produce the quality shown then wouldn't it be worth the cost to some people to have that type of detail, I will admit it's not my thing I hate the whole premise of the T movies. (I stand corrected -I have just looked more closely at the site and yes It does say about the bodies having a thin skin et.al.)

I would say it is everyone's decision as to where they spend or don't spend their money, isn't it the same with every pre-order , how many have had their fingers burned versus how many satisfied over the years.

I say we give them the benefit of the doubt If you want to in effect put your money into the development then that is your choice much like a kickstarter project. I myself will wait until I see the final product.

P.s I would like to see moving fingers on a figure but I fear the jointing system would be too complicated and any covering would have to be so thin that damage would be so easy or the hands too big, (have you any Idea what a complicated piece of construction the human hand really is under the skin, and we mistreat them all day and every day!)

·
Registered
490 Posts
<Unless it's a movie endoskeleton why would anyone want just a random metal skeleton, especially for $200? >

the same could be said about any of the figures we collect, in fact I am beginning to favour the more generic rather than the 'movie' version as they provide more ideas for my own imagination. An example, c3po is a robot but then so was 'Robbie' or Gort but each is easily recognisable from the movie that they came from and not interchangeable, at least without a lot of modification.

Likewise Orlando Bloom playing Legolas was great in the films but that is just it he was Orlando Bloom perhaps , and I don't know , there is a market for a highly detailed endoskeleton so that people can customise it to suit there needs?

With regard to this figure I see it as the sort of thing we all would like to see, a realistic moving skeleton which if it could be put in a covering that was long lasting, durable and flexible would produce the next generation of bodies , much as the seamless ones have. one joint I would like to see which the renders do not show working is the jaw.

Now that would be a thing..... a head sculpt which could be positioned to shout, smile, grin or pout .......... I doubt I'll see that in my lifetime

·
Tiger I Info Center
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have looked at their site and , well I may be wrong, I can't see where it suggests that the skeleton would be the basis of anything else other than a stand alone terminator style figure.
Molecule8 stated this. This is a quote from the Molecule8 admin on their own forum when they made the initial post regarding the Endoskeleton: "Anatomically superior to the current generation of plastic ball jointed bodies, our stainless steel Mark I Endoskeleton provides the most sturdy natural poses and movement beneath a layer of skin and clothing.

The skin surface features a thinner layer of durable exo-silicone skin molded over a fuller formed Endoskeleton. This allows for more natural bends at joints, reducing "skin bunching" at elbows, etc.and deliver a premium quality fully articulated figure.
"

And this is a quote from the Endoskeleton pre-order page: "At the core of Molecule8's collectibles revolution is the 1:6 scale Mark I Endoskeleton, now available separately as a full standalone work of art.".

It's been widely discussed on different forums, including their forum. I would expect that the stand alone version offered for pre-order is modified in various ways to make it more attractive on it's own.

·
My heater's broke...
1,147 Posts
I disagree with your comparison completely if I understand you correctly. C3po was an actual character in a movie. It had a name, was involved in story, spoke lines. These guys are selling a random metal skeleton disconnected from essentially everything.

There's no skin on it either. And you (the consumer) can't put skin on it. So not sure how this can be adapted to do really anything but be a metal skeleton. And if you want that, that's fine. But it's not where I would have put my resources.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The main thing that has us concerned is that they are asking for money, when we haven't clearly seen what we are spending that money on. $200 is a lot to drop on something we have yet to fully see. The fear is they will make a lot of money out of pre-orders based on empty promises and then vanish without a trace. It all seems too slick and the time frames all seem far too short.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well the figure looks amazing. Love the design but have so many more questions about it. I really want to see it in motion. I want to see how the hand moves, doesn't look like enough wrist articulation. I want to see how the shoulder blades and collar bone move. I want to see how the spine moves, if the jaw opens etc. I wish 200.00 was a lot to pay for a figure these days but it isn't. I would buy this figure and I am not a big fan of the silicon bodies but like I said I want to see more of it.

·
My heater's broke...
1,147 Posts
It's just such a risk to enter the market like this. I would have started basic with the Lenon figure which everyone seems to love. After some time and credibility then people are more willing to take a chance on non traditional things.

·
Tiger I Info Center
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not a fan of silicone bodies at all. I feel like they will inevitably break down over time. It might take years but I want my collectibles to last as long as I live. And I feel certain that silicone bodies will not.

However, if they did actually make this endoskeleton as shown I too would pay $200 for it.

·
blistering barnacles
600 Posts
Smells like vaporware. Expensive licenses right off the bat, most of their images at this point are CG renders, high preorder prices, bizarrely lofty promises. Just based on their website I'd say they don't know anything about 1/6 manufacturing at all, given their claims of fitting this skeleton under skin and having it look good.

If you want to start a 1/6 company, it's not rocket science, but it's not easy to do well. Spending $200+ on a figure from a company when you have never seen their quality control demonstrated is a big ask. I won't even preorder the Big Chief James Bond figures, despite DESPERATELY wanting good James Bond figures, because Big Chief's never done a figure I've thought was good.

This company to deliver their promises would have to come out the gate at such a supremely high level of competency and quality that they'd instantly be the best 1/6 company that ever existed. And that's just not likely at all.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
The skeleton would be excellent for Sci-Fi bashes builds etc.. Not sold on the silicone though, it degrades, not as badly as rubber by any means but still dries out unless you keep oiling it with silicone oil and that would ruin any clothing...

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Not sold on the whole thing period. No proper prototype, no full shots of Lennon, and they expect to ship in the next few months!? Yeah, right!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts