One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
cablecommandercustoms
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Vernon Joseph Baker (b. December 17, 1919) is a United States Army Medal of Honor recipient for his heroic actions on April 5-6, 1945 near Viareggio, Italy during World War II. Baker and his platoon killed 26 enemy soldiers and destroyed six machine gun nests, two observer posts and four dugouts.

Baker has also been awarded the following: Medal of Honor (as of September 23, 1996); Bronze Star Medal; Purple Heart; American Defense Service Medal; American Campaign Medal; European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Combat Infantryman Badge; Croce Al Valor Militare (Italian Decoration)."

This is another figure that I wanted to post for Black History month. This my version of how he may have looked on the day that he won the MOH.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Clinton should have exercised executive power and had him promoted to a Colonel at least besides the MOH. He stayed in the Army until 1961 or some such and retired a 1st Luey; Sounds like a severe case of pass-over to me. Nice bash and subject!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
great bash, i have an entire shelf unit of MOH heroes, i think they are the most fascinating bashes to explore and do.

May i suggest one thing: give Vernon an M1 Garand. He never carried the carbine, he carried a Garand all his career, and especially in Italy. In fact, he kept it after he retired, and kept it in his bedroom (loaded, in case he needed it, he said). He was very loyal to his M1.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
a picture is worth a thousand words CC.. I made the suggestion to switch because of a book i had read featuring him (and his M1), but you can't go wrong following photographic evidence.

·
cablecommandercustoms
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks again for the kind words guys. Greaylin- no harm, If i didn't have the new Osprey "African Americans in WW2" book, I would've gave him the M1, and I still might, but I just liked the way the drawing looked in the book, that's why I left his rank insignia on.

CC

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Great tribute CC, exceptionally well done. MOH winners, especially amazing and courageous heroes like this always inspire this stunning bit of awe in me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts