One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, here's the latest. This is more of a conceptual figure that could be, more than it is work from a photo reference. No patches or unit ID, just a character type work using the visual elements to create particular presence. Here's the breakdown.

1st Gen BBi body with Sideshow Baron Von Richthofen head sculpt. The brown is not beard shadow, but dirt where his goggles didn't cover. No goggles, wouldn't fit over the helmet.
Helmet: Maska custom made from Hasbro Chenowth driver helmet, updated with real rubber edging.
Striped shirt: Pulled from bag of spare clothes.
VSR pants: Armoury pants dyed with diluted Folk Art acrylic green and legs somewhat stretched with wooden dowel rods.
Adidas sneakers: eBay purchase.
Black body armor: BBi Krechet figure.
Assault rig: DML vest from Jose Para Rescue jumper. Pockets removed, bottom small belt moved up, front angle straps removed, waist belt and loops added, and Kamysh green tiger pockets (BBi Krechet vest) added.
VSS Vintorez: Sideshow
Suppressed AKS-74U Krinkov: 21st Century Ultimate Soldier AK weapons set II. My usual weapon paint job.

Questions, comments, criticisms always welcome!

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic russian soldier !!
Why thank you sir, glad you like him!

That's a nice one! What about some outdoor pics? I've never seen ones with Russian soldiers.
Thanks! This was actually taken outdoors, hence the rain on the back drop. I just don't have anything scale or appropriate outside to pose against.

Did you make the helmet? nice job on the vest.
Yes, the helmet base is from Hasbro's Chenowth LSV driver. Just some added plastic bits, paint, BBi French para helmet suspension and chin strap, and rubber edging.

You Rock!!! Love the helmet...I really need to get one...I have tried several versions on my Spetsnaz figs and can't get it right....you got it!
Great job.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I appreciate your comments! The helmet is actually really easy, see above. The Hasbro helmets can be found on eBay, and sometimes loose parts stores online.

Matt another great Russian. Give me a chance to catch up, lol. What is the source of the rubber material you use on this great looking helmet.
Thanks Carlos, I'm sure you'll catch up with a vengeance. The rubber edging is automotive small diameter vacuum line, cut down one side and pressed/glued over the edge.

Very nice work FireFox:)
Thank you!

Great figure!
I'm stoked you thinks he's cool, thanks!

·
AK fanatic
885 Posts
Excellent excellent Russkie FF! I absolutely love the casual feeling it brings to the table with the shirt and sneakers. I love it!!

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So that's the SMERSH rig you were showing me the other day, great work! :D
He's got a nice air to him.
Thanks Ryan, I thought you'd recognize that right away!

Great figure!!:clap:clap:clap:clap
Much obliged!

Excellent excellent Russkie FF! I absolutely love the casual feeling it brings to the table with the shirt and sneakers. I love it!!
Thanks Wes, that's exactly the overall feeling I was going for.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Wow! He looks really good Matt. You are turning out some great custom work. You should do some more tutorials like you did with the helmet from your last figure. I'm really impressed with the custom assault rig. Is it based on an actual rig? Also stretching the Armoury pants legs really does make a difference. It's subtle but looks much better compared to the original skin tight look. Do you know what size dowel rod you used? I've been using sections of 3/4" PVC pipe. It's effective but it's extremely difficult to insert the pipe and it requires repairs to the seams when complete.

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! He looks really good Matt. You are turning out some great custom work. You should do some more tutorials like you did with the helmet from your last figure. I'm really impressed with the custom assault rig. Is it based on an actual rig? Also stretching the Armoury pants legs really does make a difference. It's subtle but looks much better compared to the original skin tight look. Do you know what size dowel rod you used? I've been using sections of 3/4" PVC pipe. It's effective but it's extremely difficult to insert the pipe and it requires repairs to the seams when complete.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. The assault rig is based on nothing I've seen. Just something I cooked up on my own. The dowels I used were 3/4" in diameter, but tapered at one end. I pushed one up each leg while they were still wet from dyeing, and let them dry. None of the seams popped doing it that way.

:thumbvery nice buddy, great custom work on the chest rig, looking forward for more russians bashes from you.
Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to seeing your "custom MG"!

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate that. The assault rig is based on nothing I've seen. Just something I cooked up on my own. The dowels I used were 3/4" in diameter, but tapered at one end. I pushed one up each leg while they were still wet from dyeing, and let them dry. None of the seams popped doing it that way.
The vest might be supposition but I like it! There is a bit of leeway with Russian gear though. I've seen pics of lots of modified and self made assault rigs. Thanks for that info on the dowel rods. I'll have to look around and see if I can find some 3/4" rods. If not I can probably use a rotary tool to taper the ends of the PVC pipe a bit since the walls of the pipe are fairly thick. One thing I've noticed when working with the Armoury VSR pants is that some times the legs aren't the same size. I've worked with two pair now that were like that. It was easy to get the pipe in one leg but difficult with the other. That's what mostly accounted for the split seams. Still the improved look is worth a little sewing. I used to hate the Armoury pants but now with a little work I'm quite pleased with how they look.

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Don't you think that I'd have skipped this one without saying good job!!! Very original bash, with some unique features, I specially like the helmet, again. In fact, I was going to comment that you can actually fit a couple of goggles around the helmet, using a simple strap instead of one of those elastics ones.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.