One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Straight from the expert's mouth... awe-inspiring... thanks Tony... I'll try to follow your lead...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Tony, very nice and interesting tuto :)

I've got a question : how do you proceed to put the head on the Dragon figure body?

Keep up the good job, very realistic head! :thumb

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd also like to know how you go from the clay sculpt to putting the head on the body? Do you use the claysculpt or make a resin cast of it?
How do you get the sculpted head onto the body?

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That depends : for the figures in my own collection , I use the original Fimo head.
But many of those get cast into resin as well , so I can sell the copies., but of course I keep the Fimo original once it's been cast .

The neck is hollowed out anyway as part of the finishing, then I fit it onto a new neckpost which I add to the body: most of my bodies ( DML largely , sometimes Medicom ) are modified somewhat anyway.

Resin heads don't generally fit commercial neck plugs , which are intended for bendy vinyl Heads.
You have to get away from the idea that all heads should be interchangeable as a push fit : be creative , make your own plugs from epoxy putty or Sculpey, and modify the bodies until they work.

There is inevitably less movement available, but you don't really need that anyway , unless you want to play with them like GI Joe.

Here's how most of my Heads are fitted : a Sculpey neckplug , fitted to a modified DML neck:~

And I hold them in place with office tack rather than glue : I might want to change them later!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tony,
have enjoyed reading your tutorial and checking out some of your custom works. It's nice to find a forum like this one where there are so many talented artists willing to share ideas and give tips like this one. Thanks so much!

·
Space Monkey
2,312 Posts
Just wanted to revive and save this thread.
:include

·
Registered
129 Posts
Fantastic tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your talents.

·
Eagle Eyes
2 Posts
Great Guide,

Always wanted to have a go at this myself, i now know where to start and what to use, couldn't thing of who's likeness to attempt first so will try my ugly mug first and see what happens. have some of the tools etc and stacks of paints but will need to take a trip to my local hobbycraft for some Fimo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Alright im just getting into this 1:6 modeling, so i have some questions.
1) Where can i find polymer clay in the U.S. (perferably Indiana)
2) How do you know how big to make the head?
3) Can it connect to a body? (ex. old gi. joe)
4) Doe anyone know how to get/make realistic hair?

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I) I don't know.
2) Imagine a straight line from the top of the head to the point of the chin.
Small guys 34mm.
Big guys 40mm.
Proportion from there.
3) Yes . Be creative , but don't expect perfect articulation.
4) See my " Wigging your Fig " in this section.

·
Space Monkey
2,312 Posts
Alright im just getting into this 1:6 modeling, so i have some questions.
1) Where can i find polymer clay in the U.S. (perferably Indiana)
You can pretty much find it in any hobby/craft store or even Wal-Mart I believe in their craft section. Small package blocks are around $2-$3 and larger blocks are around $10 or more.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts