One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Proxxon DB250 Mini Lathe for Christmas.

I've never done any wood turning before, so for the last few weeks I've been turning fat sticks into skinny ones to try and get used to it.

I finally felt comfortable enough to try making something so I thought I'd start with mini baseball bats. They are teaching me how to graduate from one thickness down to another and helping me learn how to use precise measurements. The large ones are 1:6 scale to a couple of millimeters of tolerance.

Attachments

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Love it! Baseball bat is an excellent first project! Looks like you hit one out of the park!
Couldn't help myself!
Great work!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looking good I have many items around my home crafted on my father's lathe in 1:1 scale.

Your next step should be end turning I.e. making plates and bowls

I will admit I was looking at a small metal working lathe by the same company before Christmas

622 Posts
Great! Only operated metal lathe, this one seems to be way too clean and practic, looks perfect for 1:6 world!

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
That's cool on so many levels.

Let me know when you offer bats for sale.

In all the years I've worked with wood, I've never used a lathe. They tell me it takes a lot of practice. Clearly, you're getting there.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Very nice! I am thinking that this size lathe could eventually be producing cannon, rifle, and pistol barrels, for modifying scale weapons.

·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. If anyone asks what I've been doing, I reply that I am making sawdust and selling the byproduct :)

I have plenty of trees in the neighbourhood and have started looking for straight branches on the ground while walking home from work. I refuse to use store-bought dowels while I have a free supply of raw materials but it can take half an hour or so to clean each piece up to the point that I can use it for turning.

I've started looking for different timbers to see which ones turn the best. Most of the Eucalypts around here are pretty good. Nice dense-grained hardwood that has an attractive finish and pleasant smell. They also have the habit of shedding branches to conserve water so there are always plenty scattered around the ground and I don't have to wait for the timber to dry out. The trick is to find pieces that are clean in the middle. Right now I have to pare down 3-4 pieces to find one that is suitable for turning but suspect that I'll get better at identifying suitable pieces over time.

Very cool and the bats look great! Never saw a small lathe like this.
Amazon has them if anyone is interested. Not too expensive. Doesn't take up a lot of bench space. Good fun. Very therapeutic.

Amazon.com: Proxxon 37020 DB 250 MICRO Woodturning Lathe: Home Improvement
Proxxon Micromot DB 250 MICRO Woodturning Lathe by Proxxon Micromot - - Amazon.com

·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looking good I have many items around my home crafted on my father's lathe in 1:1 scale.

Your next step should be end turning I.e. making plates and bowls
End turning will be hard for me because I'm left handed. I'll have to turn the lathe around and use it backwards, which means that it will spin the wrong way.

·
Registered
490 Posts
my dad is left handed and he managed it you should be able to use either the front chuck or you may be able to attach the chuck to the rear of the drive and swing the tool rest around.

mmm may be not on that one

·
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The spindle is bored through so that you can work with very long lengths of wood but only up to about 10mm in diameter. I'd have to work on the end that sticks out of the back and rig up some kind of temporary tool rest. Apparently there is a drillchuck that is available for hooking up to the tailstock so I can hollow out pieces using that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.