One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I really like the "early-commitment" look of this guy. Sort of reminds me of some of Leigh Wade's books on the SF camp operations in the mid-60s. Killer eye, Rainbow.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Nice bash! I really like the outdoor effect. Yeah, the hinged fingers are a give away that it's an action figure, and they're nigh impossible to switch out, but the Hasbro SA bodies were designed for play first. All in all a great figure! And good eye on the posing in that second shot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello
Nice figure, but if I may, the Mike Forces had nothing to do with the camp defense, I know this is probably what they put on the box to sell the figure. This job went to the SF A-teams under the CIDG programs and Camp Buon Eano.
This figure would be more represenative of an Earlt Special Forces advisor serving on an A-Team pre 1963 as eveident by his early yellow and black flash. Also Special Forces as a rule didnt wear butt packs this was more of a Mech Infantry and line doggie thing, instead they wore the rucksacks on operations and a survival kit where the butt pack is.
just trying to help and don't wanna ruin anyones fun :)
thanks
paul

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey Bro
I'm not trying to bash anyone!!! Im trying to help this guy out, isnt what this forum is all about??? I didnt come off as an ass and say "Your all ****ed up" No I mearly pointed out some short comings and said over all it was a good figure!
Geeze bro do you always think people are out to ruin other people fun?
How do you give constructive critisysm then??
This is my field and Im just trying to help, I know absolutly nothing about modern day and if I were to put up a figure that was incorrect I would hope someone would tell me!
Thats all man, but if it bothers you I wont say another word!
paul

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
Nicely done....good use of Joe despite the hands.

Always good to see an old thread get revisited just to get a slap down from someone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the scale-modeling world, the goal is to try and get as close as possible to the original while bearing in mind the variables in anything else; resources, finance, ambition, vision, etc.

Upon entering this hobby, as with any other scale hobby, one finds with experience and research that some things just can't be accomplished in the scale while trying to use the items that are available.
Much of the accurate equipage and accoutrements just aren't available yet, or are out of the price range of many. We do what we can within our means. A bit of poking around to see what the spectrum regarding parts and pieces covers would reveal that our best vision of a figure doesn't have the parts available sometimes.

Some folks are content with their three-tones-of-Bondo and four different hubcapped '78 Chrysler. It does the job for them.
Others want the best and newest sports model out.
Both are happy.
The Chrysler driver doesn't need to have people tell them what's wrong with their ride at the red light, simply because he's using the same road as the high-ender. Not even if Lee Iacocca was telling them. I guess Lee Iacocca would be considered an expert on Chryslers.

Most will put a variation of "Comments and/or criticism welcome." at the end of their posts if they feel they would like to improve their work. Others are content with their results. And that's what this or any other hobby is meant to do; satisfy the participant. There's no grade, no test at the end of the year. No competition to be the best or most correct.

Knocking someone's teeth out and walking up to their bleeding floored body and telling them "You did really well" doesn't always translate the same between speaker and listener. It depends on your perspective.

We have alot of true experts here, along with even more who think they're experts (anyone placing importance on the written word would feel the need to correct those who use "loose" instead of "lose" for instance. But then they're derided for nit-picking and unsolicited "help"). Your qualifications and history are well noted and recognized. I'm a bit of an expert myself, but don't deem it necessary to tell somebody showing pride in a project everything that is wrong with it unless solicited. Being an expert implies somewhat of a leadership and responsibility role when part of a group. As a leader, it's sometimes more effective to support rather than tear down.

Your knowledge and experience are great assets here. I look forward to reading more from you and even meeting you at any of the local So Cal meetings. You can tear apart any of my stuff you'd like. I'm still happy with it. :) :thumb

Welcome to the board. :)

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
It's all in the delivery, really. I think RT Habu wants to help but my opinion is that his criticism isn't all that tactful or subtle and his self-proclaimed "expert" tag, which isn't direct but certainly implied--comes across as abrasive.

I have your books, RT Habu, and I'm glad you're aboard here. Please continue to offer insight but you might want to ease up, though, as this isn't a re-enactor board but a 1/6 hobbyist board.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok Guys,
so noted!! I will take your advice and again I wasnt trying to come across as abrasive or an ass please forgive my tone, and I understand where your coming from and I will take your advice and hopefully in the end we can all be friends. again I apoligize for the tone, it wasnt my intent to come across as an all knowing pompass ass!! (cant spell)
Im really enjoying all the new modern day unifroms and know little to nothing on the subject other than it changes day to day.

Thanks all for the slap of reality, didnt mean to be so high and mighty :sadshake

all my best,

paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok Guys,
so noted!! I will take your advice and again I wasnt trying to come across as abrasive or an ass please forgive my tone, and I understand where your coming from and I will take your advice and hopefully in the end we can all be friends. again I apoligize for the tone, it wasnt my intent to come across as an all knowing pompass ass!! (cant spell)
Im really enjoying all the new modern day unifroms and know little to nothing on the subject other than it changes day to day.

Thanks all for the slap of reality, didnt mean to be so high and mighty :sadshake

all my best,

paul
We really hadn't noticed.

Now, go out and buy a mandoll, buddy. :thumb

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will right NOW!!!
I thought they were action figures??

hey are you coming out to the WOH event in Glendale in June?? I'll be there for sure, Im doing a set up for Col Paul Longgrear's figure, should be fun!!
looking forward to meeting everyone!
Paul

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey laughinggravy (great pic)

You know alot about this stuff, what is the best figure to start with and how much, say for a basic Dragon figure, or what would you suggest??

Also do you know of any company that makes a Junk Force Beret???

thanking you in advance!!
Paul

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
As I cautiously jump in the fray here, I do so with the best of intentions...

As a self-proclaimed accuracy (insert favorite noun here... Nazi, pimp, jag off), I try very hard to make my figures as accurate as possible and within reasonable means. However, in terms of sharing what I know or offering up advice, I only do so when it is asked for. If you feel compelled to offer unsolicited advice, do so in a private message.

As Armand said, the range of resources, skill, means, available gear and such is broad.. in fact as broad as the range in ages and experience here. Always remember, this purpose of this forum is to promote and share the hobby, not necessarily judge it.

Our hobby is an unfortunately small world and finding other like-minded individuals to share our love for the hobby is sometimes difficult. Many times our friends and families tolerate and even embrace our hobby, but they don't really always appreciate it the way other hobbyists can. So we gather within these cyber walls to find that rare level of connection, acceptance and appreciation.

Furthermore, the Vietnam era is extremely difficult given the lack of available boxed figures, loose gear and the like. Its hard to find and when you do, you can expect to pay a king's ransom for it. Dragon M1955 body armor, M16A1 rifles and M72 LAWs go for as much as $25 each on ebay if you can find them. ARVN backpacks and claymore bags' asking price is as much as $35. So, the 'Nam can be a steep learning and financial curve we all can't navigate as well as others.

After many years in Modern, then WWII, I just got into the Vietnam era bashing and its tough out there finding good stuff. I shudder to think, much less admit to my wife, how much I have spent on Vietnam gear in the last three months. I will say that I could get 10 times as much modern or WWII gear for the same dollar figure.

And for every Tony Barton, John Richer, Butch (Sawgunner) or QCon,* there are hundreds or blokes without all the knowledge, experience and God-given talent, but with just as much love and passion for the hobby and are just as valuable to our little corner of cyberspace.

Paul's wealth of knowledge is certainly a valuable asset and I for one welcome that and could keep him busy for days with questions in the 1:1 section of the forum. And on that note, welcome aboard.

*Sorry, couldn't mention all the elite types... ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.