One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
They shall not pass
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the only figure I have had a chance to do in 2013 I wanted to post the images up as this year marks the centenary of the start of WW1.

I should have been putting up an early Great War German buts it's not finished, I'm starting backwards, with a figure from the last months of the conflict with a Stosstruppen from the 1st Prussian Strumbataillon.

In the last couple of years there has been quite a number of new WW1 figures from various manufacturers, not daring to go into WW1 action figures Dragon models released a Waffen SS figure with a welcomed MG08/15. I've been looking for years to make a late war machine gunner. The gun is very good though it did need detailing and one or two minor modifications. the feed spout for the rubber hose connection is wrong but I haven't modified it. I added small chains to the water cooling casing. The ammo belt is from the Twisting Toys Russian Maxim. Ill post up later when I find the photos of the modifications I made to their model.

For the uniform, I can't recommend highly enough Battlegear Toys, the boots jacket and trousers are from their growing WW1 range. I painted them to lighten the tones to be more in scale and fitted timewalker toys buttons as you can see on the back belt support photo. The helmet and gasmask container are the original sideshow ones with some detailing and repainting. The holster is newline miniatures the flap was replaced with a dragon vinyl one glued on, the shape looks much better. The belt and bread bag (modified) are Time walker toys.
I go into details later on all the changes

Hope you enjoy,

Thanks must go to Kurt for his input concerning the Details of a MG08/15 in assault mode.

Happy New year
John

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Just OUTSTANDING. Like I said, the stuff of great museums.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A good way to start 2014 :bravo
Absolutely amazing figure!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Neat! This year it's the 100 anniversary since the start of The WW1! :dizzy :( :razz :X

:hat

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Great figure!

BTW, the shoulder flap insignia from the 1st Prussian Strumbataillon looked alarmingly similar to the "Big Red One" insignia of U.S. Army fame......

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
Very nice work, particularly with all the fine details . I like the texture of the tunic, which seems better than anything I've seen before for WW1 Germans.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great work from the simplicity of the bare essentials they carried to thr use of rusting iron dugouts, Im looking forward to ripping my boxed Lutz fredder out of his box and doing a cross section of a trench being over run.....
Im doing one at the moment that Ill post in a few months.

·
They shall not pass
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
thanks for your comments looking forward to seeing your project completed 373474. Hi Tony, regarding the texture, I agree in 1/6th it s hard to find correct scale textiles. I use Battlegear Toys as a starting point, I wash it at 90° in washingmachine in an old stocking thanks to my partner, the original colour is too dark so I repaint the uniform, something I learned off you, with Vallejo acrylics in lighter tones. The paint hardens the fabric and I use emery paper or steel wool to take off the fuzzy texture of the bare cloth. I dip the uniform in slightly diluted paint letting it dry. I always see bits of oversized texture that I sand down to finally obtain result that is more in scale, almost forgot, I burn off excess hair with a lighter. I might do this several tines until im happy with the result , very obsessional on my part as its time consuming, but as I only make a figure every so many months I don't mind spending the time. The late German uniform being plain and a little drab its worth adding the fine details to accentuate the identity of the soldier and at this scale its still visible.

hopefully this year will see some new figurines on ww1.

·
They shall not pass
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bumping this up but its all in a good cause as I wanted to show
the modifications to the Dragon Model MG08/15.

I filed and sanded the centre line down the ammo box and along the barrel encasing
not on the photos but front sight is moved slightly to left of barrel.
I don't have a photo of the chains connecting the valves on the water cooling barrel
if you look closely you can see on the left hand side small nut heads for regulating spring. it was a fun project so happy dragon released an mG08/15 as its an excellent base model just needing a few modifications and super detailing!
John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts