One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stonewall Jackson
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first real kitbash in over 18 months, other than just buying bits and putting them on a figure...so here goes.

Mexican Private Batallon de San Blas. 1847

The uniform comes from the Blandford book World Uniforms and Battles 1815-50 by Philip Haythornthwaite.

The San Blas battalion of 'Active Coast Guards' originated in 1825 and led a chequered career, changing name and identity until, after serving in several rebellions and counter-coups, it was nearly wiped out Cerro Gordo, April 18, 1847, being at that time titled the 3rd Infantry regiment. Re-organised under the old name, it stood its ground at Chapultepec hill,September 12 and 13, 1847, until completely overrun; of the 400 strong battalion, only one officer and a handful of men (all wounded) managed to escape.

The colonel was found on the field of battle, wrapped the regimental colours, shot no less than fourteen times.

The uniform shows the pattern of shako normally issued to National Guard units, but as there were more than twenty authorised patterns of head-dress in the Mexican Army, it is doubtful whether the whole unit would be dressed alike. The shako bears the red, white and green national cockade and an oval plate with regimental name. The red piped grey greatcoat was standard issue for the National Guard, only the brass collar-badge BSB identifying the unit.

The red epaulettes and cuff patches are indicative of the Grenadier Company. Leather equipment was either black or white, both colours being worn indiscriminately. The firearm was still the old British Brown Bess.

The figure is a Dragon head on a ITPT body.
Shako custom made bu Rhonda - my other half.
Grey Greatcoat from the DiD Frank figure, added piping, BSB etc.
Trousers are from Sideshow.
Brogans from Sideshow.
White gaiters custom made.
Belt, straps, cartridge box, oval cross belt plate, buckle etc custom made.
Musket, from Sideshow - prefer it to the DiD version.
Canteen DiD.

Well hope it's ok for this board, rubbing shoulders with some of the best in the hobby.

R&R

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Dee-lightful bash, and informative as well. Fine work, he's a salty looking fellow.
Until recently, the general take on Mexican soldiers was less than complimentary, if they were given any notice at all. Time seems to have vindicated them,as eyewitness acccounts and historical research is turning that around.

·
Likes little people
1,617 Posts
Fault has never been the Mexican soldier- Generalship has always been poor- ya did with this figure what I was thinking of doing !!

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
azteca

great work i might order some zapatistas like PANCHO VILLA OR EMILIANO ZAPATA FROM THE GUY THAT DID MY LUCHADORES BUT THIS YOU DID IS VERY GOOD ALSO I LIKE TO RECOGNIZE THAT GENERAL SANTANA DID NOT SURRENDER MEXICO SIGHN THE TREADY ON THE LAND AND GAVE GENERAL SANTANA THE FAULT ON ALL THIS AND BANNED HIM FROM MEXICO AT THAT TIME AND IF THE MEXICANS WOULDNT ASSASSINATE VILLA MEXICO WOULD OF BEEN BEETER OF THAN TODAY

·
Stonewall Jackson
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the nice comments....and the shako....well my other half is getting pretty darn clever with the felt these days...another one she knocked out recently

Light Infantry American War Of Independence.

Anyway, thanks for the replies - nice to see something pre WWII and Predator gets some comments on OSW :)

Anybody got some good tips for Reference on the Mexican Army of this period ?

R&R​

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.