One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi again everyone, I wanted to share a slow project I have been working time to time, the Character of Merlin from the movie Excalibur:

So I begin with the head

Without the helmet and beard

And as it is by now, the head sculpt finished

As I don't want to paint the helmet, I will try to make one of metal.
Thats all for now, its a slow project, thanks for watching.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Re: A very slow project: Merlin from Excalibur

There is paint used in the model airplane hobby that when looks just like chrome. Its looking great!!! cant wait to see how it turns out!!

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts

PS For the metal part, you could conceivably line that portion of the head sculpt with Bare-Metal foil in the appropriate color. It is quite stretchy without tearing and if you are careful, you can apply it pretty smoothly with a q-tip.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

AMAZING work, shadowcrane!

To add to what siquisiri suggests, one of the paints is known as Rub N Buff. You start with a nice smooth surface, prime and then basecoat. The metal is a powder that is applied, and then buffed to desired shine. A sealer coat is required to protect the finish.

GubernatorFan suggests BareMetal foil. This is actual metal foil, attached with a mild adhesive. It'll conform to extreme shapes, and will polish to a high shine.

Here's a suggestion... have you considered splitting the head in two? The skullcap as one piece, and the face, ears and neck as the other. This would probably make finishing the sculpt easier. I know Hot Toys uses a similar setup for some figures with molded hair.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
692 Posts

Very nice. Russcal's suggestion of splitting the head into two pieces seems like a sensible one.

Excalibur was the best King Arthur movie. The last one was crap and I'm not going to bother seeing the current one.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts

Very nice sculpt! I have a 1:6 scale resin garage kit of Merlin that had the head sculpted by Joy Snider of Tom And Joy Productions; it too has an excellent likeness!

David

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

--siquisiri
Thanks , I think its Aclad II or something like that, its my last option to try.

--madmaninsane
--GubernatorFan
--Ephiane
--ReverendSpooky
--Stryker2011

Thanks for the comments!

-GubernatorFan Bare-Metal foil ...
Thanks for the suggestion, In Mexico there is a similar material, but in spherical volumes, it always shows the cut line, something I try to avoid

--russcal Rub N Buff...
Thank you, I never had tried that, I will check the cost and try it on duplicates, I was thinking also in cast it in aluminum splitting the head in two, it is just that I don't know if I want to do all the process (is long and hard, but funny)

--shazzdan Excalibur was the best King Arthur movie...
Thank you, I do think the same, since the design of the characters to the whole mystic and bizarre story, was a great movie to me.

--highwayman57
Thank you, I never saw that set, do you have any link?, I couldn't find any.

Thanks for all the comments, by now I already tried to make the helmet from different silver look metals, but sadly none of them give the look

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I want to show you the learning curve, trying to make the helmet look like metal shine as the photo, I think I found a good way without working to hard:

And I applied to a neca endoskeleton figure:

I think it looks good enough, its very cheap and no so hard to recreate.
Greetings

Attachments

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Beautiful work.

That turned out mighty damn well.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Nice job on the sculpt and chrome/smokey chrome finishes, can I ask how you did it? I was thinking electro plating with graphite on the sculpt's helmet as a conductor, seen that work well before but you need a science lab tabletop voltage modulator to do it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice job on the sculpt and chrome/smokey chrome finishes, can I ask how you did it? I was thinking electro plating with graphite on the sculpt's helmet as a conductor, seen that work well before but you need a science lab tabletop voltage modulator to do it.
Of course, not problem at all.
What I used is very simple, I must warn that as I am allergic, I had to avoid a lot of cool materials, so this is a safe method:
1.-Airbrush with bright silver water base. (2 or 3 layers)
2.-Apply Glossy clear lacquer (as much glossy you could find will be better, 2 layers)
3.-Use a 6H graphyte pencil, look for a mark that allows a shiny silver effect on a paper by repeatedly tracing in the same place, for me the Torqueuse did it.
4.-Use a fine water sand paper, and sand the pencil until you have enough graphite powder
5.- Use your finger to polish the surface with the powder, and slowly it will began to form the effect of chrome.

There are other bases that makes better the crome effect, but I cant use them.

the effect is durable and very cheap, and as others chrome materials if you brush the finish surface with water, the effect will gone, but if you apply again the powder, it will fix fast.

If you find a better way, Please share!!

thank you!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts