One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a 12 year hunt has come to fruition. I have finally managed to track down an elusive RC car in 1:6 Scale. The Mercedes Benz G55 AMG. Lets do a quick review of the details shall we. Sorry about the pictures. The photo management system here keeps turning some over for some reason. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.

This is a Japanese brand. It's a toy quality RC, but definitely a higher end one. I still have no actual brand information on this. All I have been able to determine is that it was made for the Japanese toy market, and very few managed to make their way out of Japan. They came in black and silver. These made some waves back in 2009, and so many were really stoked about getting them. That turned out harder to do that I thought. So, finding one randomly on Ebay 12 years later was a real ge of a find for me. I had originally wanted to grab about 4 of them. One or 2 civilian versions. and 2 to turn into customized military vehicles. One was planned on a Canadian armoured G-Wagen with a complete RWS (Remote Weapon System) turret on top, the vehicle saw extensive use in Afghanistan. The other was a German Wolf variant.

Years ago someone mentioned that it is not really an AMG model, more like just a regular G55.

It is a really large vehicle, and measurements are pretty close to a properly scaled G55.

It has sound features, engine starting, horn, alarm. Lights are supposed to come on, but it hasn't been properly charged yet to check that out. It runs on rechargeable batteries, charges from a 100V recharger. North American electrical is 120V, so I'll need an adapter to charge it properly. That's also the reason I haven't run it yet to see if it actually drives. But the audio features work so it's promising.

The suspension and steering is typical toy grade stuff. Basic enough to work, but not for dedicated use. Wheels are a harder plastic, not a rubber compound.

Typical pistol style controller with a charger.

Some waaaaaay back references on the subject.

One Big Mob

Need Help from any Japanese members.UPDATED.28 Feb2021 RC Mercedes Benz G55 AMG

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Mercedes Benz AMG G55 RC, Japnese Toy Brand, a 12 Year Hunt

Measurement details. Overall Length is 32 Inches (82cm) long, 12.5 inches (32cm) high, and 11 Inches (28cm) wide with the mirror folded.

The front doors open, as does the back door. It took a minute to figure out how they worked, as there was no instruction manual. The door handles slide to the side releasing the latch an allowing the doors to open. Clever, and well done. The doors all have screwed on cards/panels to allow for the access to installing the latches.

Nice interior detailing. Decals for the instrument cluster. Lots of raised details for the dash, and center consoles. Nice looking seats.

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Some nice badging.

Nice wheel details. As already mentioned, the tires are a harder plastic, not a rubber material, so I suspect it may not work well outside.

More interior details. Rear view mirror on the roof. Nice back seats, but accessing them will be interesting as the back doors don't open.

Rear details. Open the back door and you have a nice spacious area for storing stuff. I put some extra weapons in there for the photo op. Plenty of room in there for gear for 4 soldiers.

The antenna is weak, and just a wire stuffed through the roof. I can't imagine it has very good range because of that.

Being a 12 year old toy it comes with a healthy coating of authentic Japanese weathering. It's really dusty inside. So dusty the floors look like they have carpeting. Nasty haha. But with opened windows, that's what happens. I'll jam a Swiffer and vacuum in there and tidy it up.

The windows are all opaque, and not clear at all. That will have to be fixed.

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

More Interior details.

Side mirrors are just a sticky reflective film.
The bumpers are typical RC bumpers meant for ramming in to stuff. Luckily they can be easily removed to make the car look more accurate. They'll be coming off in the near future.

Figure details.

When I tried to get a figure in, I notice some issues. Seats are really far forward. So it's difficult to get a figure in the front passenger side. It will be even trickier on the drivers side with the steering wheel in that area. Looks like adjustable seats are in the future. There is decent head room, but the seat head rests aren't high enough, so no whiplash protection ;) . Lots of storage in the rear. Plenty of room for kit and weapons.

Overall, I was expecting at least this. It's as good as some of the other brands like New Bright, and Rastar. Most of those are slightly under scaled.

Was it worth the wait? I think so.

Was it worth the money? If my exchange rates are accurate, it's about the same cost as when it was new. So no real increase in price for a rare-ish item. Decent for an RC car this size, and detail. I paid just over $300 CAD shipped to my door. That's pretty good for a large vehicle if you ask me. Some figures seem to be creeping up on that range now.

Future plans? Well, since I only have the one.... for now.... a good detailing and cleaning are in order. Then adding the details will be next. fine tuning the instruments and buttons. Seat belts. Adjustable seats. Maybe some nice upholstery. I'm thinking of copying the front doors, and making the rear doors opening as well. If I can't get the RC portion working, that will be a major upgrade from toy rated RC to real working suspension and RC capability. Full AWD and proper rubber tires. Making clear windows is a must.

I have also been looking at scale RC accessories as well. Tools. Lights. A working winch and trailer hitch.

A nice upgrade will have my PMC types and Division operatives riding in style.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,782 Posts

Congrats on snagging that grail, rhino! Way to go!

·
Registered
539 Posts
That's for sure an excellent base for more detailing: have you considered to find some proper rubber tyres? Have a look for them on the Bay, AliExp, etc. There are also plenty of accessories available for any scale RC vehicles.

I do not understand if in the end you did get more of these: you should definitely make one for the German KSK figures as possibly seen in the photo of the real one, and without specific markings it can be used by any unit you may like.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on snagging that grail, rhino! Way to go!
Only took 12 years haha. Quite a find really. Persistence, patience, and a bit of good luck.

That's for sure an excellent base for more detailing: have you considered to find some proper rubber tyres? Have a look for them on the Bay, AliExp, etc. There are also plenty of accessories available for any scale RC vehicles.

I do not understand if in the end you did get more of these: you should definitely make one for the German KSK figures as possibly seen in the photo of the real one, and without specific markings it can be used by any unit you may like.
I'll be searching for better wheels for sure. It depends on the usage and what I can find at the RC stores locally and online.

if I ever manage to find more, there will definitely be some conversions coming.

Congratulations on a successful hunt! Looks worth the wait!
Even seeing how basic some of the parts are in hand, it's still worth finally getting my hands one one.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice find...Congrats to you Mike!
It was a lucky find for sure.

I just need to find and electrical adapter that converts Japanese 100V to North American 120V to see if the charger and battery works. It's old NiCad, so it may not even work or hold a charge any more. In that case, this ride will be moving into a newer RC drivetrain, which will be a better RC system, but also waaaaaay more expensive.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Graduated from Ninja Tech
3,424 Posts
amazing looking Mercedes and congrats on getting your grail and I know that satisfying feeling getting something you been searching for years
and looking forward for updates if you plan on customizing the SUV

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,779 Posts
nice to see another grail get snagged. sure looks like a nice car. shame about the wheels, but hey, atleast it's scaled right. now if only we could get more 1/6 cars (perhaps a 2017 charger pursuit in LAPD colors) i'd be very happy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts