One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in awhile, I post a review that I know will be controversial. Tonight is one of those nights.

I'm covering the Medicom Darth Maul from the Real Action Heroes line. I've bought quite a few Medicom figures in this line, and reviewed quite a few as well. And while the head sculpt and paint job are outstanding, I have to admit that this is the very first time I've opened a Medicom figure and been disappointed.

This is $150 figure, and it has several major issues, certainly more issues than a figure at this price point should have.

The guest review is from Travis Sallenbach, and isn't nearly as controversial. He covers the Hot Toys Aliens Snap Kits (man, HT has been doing a lot of Alien/Predator stuff!) and he likes them quite a bit. You can find links to all the reviews at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i agree totally. canceled my Medi. IMO it's a better, and cheaper solution to just repaint the SS figs eyes to a more menacing "looking up thru the lids" look. that's mostly whht a person buying this over the SS is buying it for, is the more menacing look of the Medi.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
The review is correct on every point.
It just comes down to if you want a mediocre Maul or a menacing Maul.
Im happy with mine and the neck issue is an easy fix.
How many of us have the skills to redo the Sideshow version to an acceptable degree?
In the end, when I look at him he's glaring back I know it was the right decision.
(He looks like he wants to b*tch slap my other figures :mad)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great review. Now I know I definitely won't get this figure! It was originally one of those MUST HAVEs for me as I wanted a higher end Maul than my SS one.
Now I can't stand that monkey look and the cheap lightsabers.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
I was interested to see how Medi's Maul would compare to SST's...the price point alone knocks it down several notches for me from the onset, but the issues the Medi has almost make it's pricetag inexcusable. Thanks again for the reviews Michael.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, like I said - if you can afford to put them together, you'll get one hella sweet Maul. Or you could pick up the SS version, pay $20 for a Hot Toys body swap, and have one that's pretty damn close to the Medi version. It's all up to whether you have to have the more menacing face or not.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Those pics are not representative of medi maul at all.Mine looks nothing like that.(all it takes is a little futz a bam you have a kick ass figure)the neck is a little long but nothing futzing can't hide.

mike you need to take better pics i love your reviews but man.

·
That was Zen, This is Tao
254 Posts
Great review as always, I never buy anything without seeing if the mwctoys site has a review first and many past decisions have been aided with the excellently detailed entries. I have the SS Maul and I think he is probably their best SW fig so far, so I would be a little biased in looking to compare the two. The Medi paint job is just amazing though and you get the ferocity which is missing from the SS look. But, the kicker for me is the price and those horrendous looking saber blades. Still, Maul's SS saber is easily found loose for some reason and you could swap around parts as you see fit. In my opinion though you would be paying $100 for a better sculpt - simply not worth it to me. I also think the SS outer robe looks better overall and that is most of the outfit. This is interesting to me though on another note as now that SS and Medi are sort of getting together, I had wondered if SS would be doing the Medi figure releases themselves or leaning away from that to avoid conflicts in product lines. With General Kenobi coming out with his clone armor, I believe there will be no reservation on SSs part to go ahead and release their own version regardless if Medi already has a certain fig out. Otherwise, we will not be getting an SS Vader and that would be unfortunate. I love Medi figs and I have their Vader, several troopers, the Fetts and Yoda - but choice is always good and it is fortunate we have two Mauls to choose from, different pros and cons to please us all...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I predicted last year that at some point in the not too distant future, we'll see a 'combining' of at least two of the big three - Hot Toys, Medicom, and SS. If you were to put my fire to the feet, I'd say that Sideshow is going to end up buying Hot Toys ('merging'), because the folks at SS are just too business savvy not to see the potential. They've also already developed an extremely tight working relationship, going so far as to develop the new SS body with some help from HT. Those type of announcements often lead to announcements of an even tighter merger.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
All points well put KYG. Agreed Michael; if nothing else SST is at least VERY business savvy...I remember barely over ten years ago when they were making maybe a few vinyl kits a year for the garage kit scene: and now look at them. Will be interesting to see what happens.

·
That was Zen, This is Tao
254 Posts
You guys really think that SS could up and buy Medicom? I have no clue as to the value of that company, but it would seem to be to be a considerable purchase for a niche company like SS. I guess that would be great, but hopefully it would not impact SS decisions concerning the figs to release. Since they would then own a company that had created a particular character, would they release a 'new' version to boot?

·
Unabashed 5.11 Junky
3,866 Posts
Aliens snaps have been out so long they're pretty much unavailable. What's the point?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys really think that SS could up and buy Medicom? I have no clue as to the value of that company, but it would seem to be to be a considerable purchase for a niche company like SS. I guess that would be great, but hopefully it would not impact SS decisions concerning the figs to release. Since they would then own a company that had created a particular character, would they release a 'new' version to boot?
No, as I said above, I don't think they'd go after Medicom. Sideshow wisely started building a relationship with both companies, but the one they have with Hot Toys seems to be more complimentary, and is flourishing a bit more as well.

And companies that buy other companies tend to be the ones that are cash rich, with plenty flowing in and they start looking for opportunities to spend that on developing the business. I think that's where SS finds themselves right now, but of course I'm just surmising. It would just be a very unusual situation for two companies that are technically competitors to continue such a close relationship for a long period. At some point, one of them always ends up sniffing around the other.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts