One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Being I think I have exhausted all my omney on ACU's, I am looking to go in a different direction, I think I want to do something along the lines of a marine advisor. I remember watchign a show called the "American Empire" which showed all the military instillations all over the world. A couple of them being a couple of marine bases, one in Africa, and one in Georgia. (the one by Russia) and I'm trying to decide which is the better direction to go with. Although there seems to be a surplus, of woodland Marpat, I sort of want to do the Africa one, then I'd have to use the Desert marpat. but after seeing the saturday toys woodland Marpat, it makes me want to get that. I was also thinking to wait until the new DML marine comes out and then take some parts from that.
I'm asking for you guys' expertise,

Any ideas?

thanks
-rob

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
Great idea. There is a new member who posted just such a bash based on himself as a Marine trainer/advisor in Africa. It was an awesome post and bash that included 1/1 pics of himself training the troops.

I can't recall his board name but I'm sure someone here can find the post.

It may provide some good info and inspiration for you.

·
1:6 Noob
64 Posts
That was me. There's a lot of work being done in Africa, by Marine Special Operations Advisor Group (MSOAG), CJTF-HOA in East Africa, as well as the Navy/Marine Corps Africa Partnership Station (yeah, a rather lame name) in Western Africa as well as Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU) stopping by mid float.

There are actually pretty good opportunities to recreate a Marine working in Africa. Obviously MSOAG is a special operations style unit, however, just regular line grunts from a MEU would be found in many places. While I was in Africa, one of the MEUs came out and did some large scale training with African military forces, as did one of the line MARSOC units. You're right that most of the Marines would be wearing deserts, though that certainly would not be the case all of the time.

Plus, for many trainer/advisor roles, since it is almost always going to be in a non or limited combat role, the Marine doesn't necessarily have to be in full Iraq gear, which can set him apart from your typical figure, and give you some room to be creative. Honestly, if I bashed myself wearing what I typically did during the bulk of my time on the range, it could have been a pretty boring figure. Unless I did the Hawaiian print board shorts with boonie, pistol, and boots. Wish I had a picture of that because it was pretty funny.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was me. There's a lot of work being done in Africa, by Marine Special Operations Advisor Group (MSOAG), CJTF-HOA in East Africa, as well as the Navy/Marine Corps Africa Partnership Station (yeah, a rather lame name) in Western Africa as well as Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU) stopping by mid float.

There are actually pretty good opportunities to recreate a Marine working in Africa. Obviously MSOAG is a special operations style unit, however, just regular line grunts from a MEU would be found in many places. While I was in Africa, one of the MEUs came out and did some large scale training with African military forces, as did one of the line MARSOC units. You're right that most of the Marines would be wearing deserts, though that certainly would not be the case all of the time.

Plus, for many trainer/advisor roles, since it is almost always going to be in a non or limited combat role, the Marine doesn't necessarily have to be in full Iraq gear, which can set him apart from your typical figure, and give you some room to be creative. Honestly, if I bashed myself wearing what I typically did during the bulk of my time on the range, it could have been a pretty boring figure. Unless I did the Hawaiian print board shorts with boonie, pistol, and boots. Wish I had a picture of that because it was pretty funny.
thanks, are there any other MEU units in say South America, that are training military units there, because I was thinking of doing a bah with the woodlands, which would make more sense in S.America with all the jungle there.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
I think now the the USMC has step up to the plate and sort of excepted that one Marine does not fits all (Force Recon, MSPF, MEU/MAR-SOC, etc.), the variation in outfitting and equipping your figure becomes boundless. How PC you want to make the figure is another matter. I have to say though, there is a certain amount of enjoyment that comes out of getting it right. Looking forward to see your bash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.