One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Magpulls

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  PBR549 
#1 ·
What exactly are they used for.I have tried searching for info but Im not getting the info I need. So im just askin what are the used for and how they are used

Thanks for any info

Jonathan

#4 ·
They also come in handy when recovering mags after use.
I've seen then strung on para-cord while the area was being policed up.
But originally they were used to make it faster to get at mags in pouches.

#7 ·
They also act to identify the type of round that's in the magazine for the purposes of range safety. Generally pulls in tactical colors (black, tan, OD) and red contain live rounds, blue contains simulation rounds, orange contains frangible, green contains blanks, light blue contain inert, and the rest are range defined.

#8 ·
They also act to identify the type of round that's in the magazine for the purposes of range safety. Generally pulls in tactical colors (black, tan, OD) and red contain live rounds, blue contains simulation rounds, orange contains frangible, green contains blanks, light blue contain inert, and the rest are range defined.
wow i didn't know that. thanks pivot for that nice info.

#9 ·
I didn't know that as well. Makes sense though, along side the blue painted mags or the strips of coloured tape.

I was wondering though, I used to see a lot of figures posted with magazines put into the pouches upside down [with the bullets down inside] and people would pick at them telling them to put the mags upside-up so bullets wouldn't fall out; yet other times you see Magpuls and no one really questions it. Is there a difference or a reason?

I also ask because I just got some ACE mags with magpuls from GSTG and I really like them. :D

Personally, for me it takes a bit of an effort or finesse to pop a round out of a magazine [no where near the amount needed to put them all in x.x], do they really fall out?

#11 ·
You always put the mags "upside down" or open side down. You don´t want dirt in the mags generating mag feeding problems or being pushed into the chamber. Changing mags is also faster when grabbing the bottom and using your index finger to "point" at your magwell while pushing the mag upwards.

Magpulls and ranger magpulls are also good at protecting droppped mags when droppped during mag transitions.

#12 ·
I install my Magpuls sideways, they act as a bumper for the mags when dropped during reloading and still provide enough material to grab ahold of when removing from a pouch. They also fit better in pouches with lids. When using an open topped pouch (aka "shingle") with bungee rention it doesn't really matter how you install them.

#14 ·
Ive never heard or seen magpuls in anything but od, black and tan where are the other colors?
Just went looking for them, and they must have been discontinued, which is a shame. I've also noticed that magpuls don't come with a nifty little booklet I got when I bought my first Magpuls (circa 2003ish). This little thing was chock full of nifty little tips and uses (and why Magpuls are better than field expedient tape/paracord solutions). The back page was a color chart of all the different available colors and their potential meanings, as stated above.

You can also notch out the ribbed underside of the Magpul, so you can identify mag contents low light/no light/no look. Just slip your finger under the cross section and give it a feel. Mag ID by braille.

#15 ·
Ive been an Infantryman for 20 years and still going. I have always placed my mags in the ammo pouches open end down. I never had a problem IDing the used mags because they were the ones in my cargo pockets or more recently my dump pouch.

Pivot, what the hell do you mean by "low light/no light/no look"? I think I get it a little bit, but please tell me.

#16 ·
Ive been an Infantryman for 20 years and still going. I have always placed my mags in the ammo pouches open end down. I never had a problem IDing the used mags because they were the ones in my cargo pockets or more recently my dump pouch.

Pivot, what the hell do you mean by "low light/no light/no look"? I think I get it a little bit, but please tell me.
He means not being able to see your mags because your either operating at night or in a position where he cannot look at them. I just remember what Ive loaded. 1:4 tracer on the right and no tracer on the left. but most of the time my loadout is all the same.

#19 ·
I run four mags for duty and all four have magpuls on them. My at home stash of AR mags are also sporting magpuls. I use to take a piece of 550 cord, knot the ends and pull the floor plate of the mag back a bit. I then placed the 550 knots inside the mag, then push the floor plate back into place. This eliminates the need for 100 mile an hour tape.

As far as the mags being upside down and the concern of dirt getting into them. If the mag is placed in the mag pouch "bullets" down, any debris would fall out the opening. A the other guys stated this allows for easy access to the correct position of th mag for reloads. One thing you need to do is to figure out which way your mag will curve. You want to be able to pull the mag, and as you bring it to it should be ready to loaded in the weapon. If you have them turned the wrong direction for your reloading style, you will have to turn it around.

I just got the new magpul sling and sling attachment. I'll post some pics of both. Working great so far. need to do some more shooting and testing with it.

#20 · (Edited)
normally we were to carry seven m4 magizines, i carried 20. i had eight with magpul ranger pulls (the only bad thing with those are you loose a round -on top of the two you short each mag as not to over tension the magizine), three with magpuls which would slide and the rest had 550 cord. if i had it all over to do again i would have just stuck with the 550-cord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.