One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up one of the black Zacca M700 sniper rifles yesterday. Is the rifle (and scope) suitable to use for a VN bash? If it is, would it have been used by the Army or USMC?

I've had a look around the internet, but couldn't seem to find the answer.

Thanks,

David.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
The US Army called the 700 a M24 and the Marines Called it a M40. The USMC placed the initial order for 700 Remington 700/M40 sniper rifles in 1966. The Army had their order placed in 1962. Both services however still used the 1907 Springfield and the M14 (M21) also. You are OK for a NAM bash using that rifle. As Filupe state Goggle Remington M700, M24, or M40 and you can get more info.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

I'll try and post a pic of the Zacca model this w/e, but I think I need to add a raised comb/cheekpiece (?) on the butt, and I'm not sure how accurate the scope and mount are - the scope seems to be fairly high compared to what I've seen online.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
David,

Just to add on to what has already been shared... The 700/M40 was primarily a Marine Corps weapon and remains so to present day. The Army uses their version (M24) but it was not fielded until 1988. In Vietnam, the Army used the M21 (scoped version of the M14) and scoped M16s.

The 700 should be fine for the USMC with the Army using the M21 (M14). If its a special ops VN bash, then the rules are out the window. I am sure if SOG types wanted to use an M40 and could get their hands on one, that is what they did. I have seen SEALs with both the M40 and the M21.

Here is a pic of the Zacca 700 for reference. I am guessing it is black (you can never trust Internet pix) and would probably need painting more of a wood tone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts