One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for posts that had covered this topic, but i couldnt find any. I wanted to know everyones opinion on which company makes the best M4 in terms of quality, working parts (looks like soldier story has a working bolt), accuracy (ive heard hot toys makes their stuff too big, and DML seems to have a perfect scale) and any other plus/minus points.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Dragon has the best m4'S HANDS DOWN!!BBi's,when straight,are next.Soldier Story are a bit bigger than DML,but not as big as HT.

The HT versions are a bit better in scale now,but still they are not 1/6.

·
Banned
4,284 Posts
Which version of M4 are you looking for? If you need a regular run of the mill M4, go with Soldier Story - it has nice detail and has moving parts, but what's more important is that it actually uses separate parts for barrel and RIS (all others have a one piece moulded RIS).

For M4s with M203 launcher I would go with BBI.

For some exotic M4s, take a look at ACE (sorry to Soldier Story fans, but ACE M4 CASV beats it hands down, looks more solid IMO) and Hot Toys (they are a bit on the larger size; not a big deal IMO, but some might care). And of course, Kotobukiya made that M4 Anthology set - their M4s are not all that great, but with a bit of care you can make them look good too.

Cheers!

Alexei

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies! to be honest i just wanted to know if a single company was head and shoulders above the others or not, but it seems that it really does vary from M4 variant to variant.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,121 Posts
If you are willing to put in a bit of time, you can really soup up the Dragon M4/M16s. They come apart with only a bit of difficulty, and can be accurized easily.

Look for a thread on M16A4 and you'll find some stuff in there as well.

Hot Toys look great, but they are on steroids. Too big especially in the earlier models. Newer ones are better size wise, but are still big.

Kotobukiya are the right size, but lack detail. On the plus side they have some cool accessories, come in black, tan and green in most of the variants, and can be disassembled to work on, or rob parts from. The trick is finding them now. Popular versions are long gone.

Boford makes some interesting variants, but have some odd details about them. Small looking mags. Not easy to find now either.

ACE M4s look great as well, and are about the same size as Dragon and BBI. The plastic is brittle sometimes and they have a tendancy to come apart. Superglue is good.

Toy Soldier. I was never very impressed with them. They size right, but appearance wise they're not for me. Just a preference thing.

I really like the Soldier Story for the all-in-one-package. Good detail and moving parts, and accurate parts, bit it's a bit bigger than Dragon or BBI. Best out of box except for the slightly bigger size.

The Dragon has not changed a whole lot since they first came out. Look good, but really shine when you put some work into them. Dragons' RIS can be separated into upper and lower halves, and the holes drilled out. Add the gas tube, repaint and reassemble.

The BBI ones are better on the newer models. Not as bulky, and better detailed. About the same size as Dragon, and also look great with a bit of effort. Harder to make the RIS front end look nicer as the barrel is molded to the upper part of the RIS. Requires Dremeling out the molded barrel, making a new one, and the gas tube, drilling the RIS ..... you get the idea.

Other little things make them POP too.

Just my opinions. There are A LOT of options out there. Personal preference goes a long way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts