1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Excellent good news. Thanks, I did not know about this. For those that got them, this will go nicely with their Lost in Space figures Amok Time made a few years back (but they never got to making the robot, which is probably what everyone wants most). I'm glad I got Maureen Robinson at least.

Hopefully someone will market a sounds and lights upgrade kit. Normally I find it gimmicky on 1/6 figures, but here it would seem right. I wonder how easy it might be to rip the electronics out of the Trendmasters (I think it was) figure and reinstall them into the 1/6. How cool would this be on the shelf side by side with the X-Plus Robby the Robot!

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
Perhaps the old Masayuda (?) robot parts will transfer if the Trendmasters doesn't work.
You can find the new Moebius version on ebay for $35 - $40. I'm hoping mine arrives tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Perhaps the old Masayuda (?) robot parts will transfer if the Trendmasters doesn't work.
You can find the new Moebius version on ebay for $35 - $40. I'm hoping mine arrives tomorrow. :D
Good to know, thanks. I will probably wait and find one locally, and even after I get one, it may be a while until I to building it. So if you get yours done, by all means pls post pics here, or PM me a pic, if you are so inclined. Cheers.

I wonder if the threads will be actual rubber threads, if the hands will have any grip, and whether the arms or anything else will have even a minimal amount of articulation. And hopefully they didn't stint on true 1/6 scale: it's got to be just a bit taller than a person.

·
2,599 Posts
Its supposed to be 13 inches tall. Don't know how soon I'll get mine done. I do my spray painting outside and we're due for another snowstorm.
I'll definitely post pix though.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
The treads certainly do look operable, which, of course, leads me to begin thinking RC.

I have just the motors for the job, too...

@Ironman,
Let me know about those treads, please. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Pretty cool, they also do a Cylon in 1/6, not a classic one though. CHEERS!
Majestic Studios (Collection DX) also made a 1/6 modern Cylon that was pretty awesome, though a bit limited in articulation. (http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2007/16_battlestar_galactica_cylon_centurion) Had him next to Robby and I thought, "Robby can take him ...." Amok Time (I think it was) made 1/6 Gold and Silver classic Cylons and many other classic BSG figs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Saw this at SDCC and it was my biggest thrill / surprise of the event. Asked if they would do a pre-paint but they do not have the rights (or didn't in July, anyway!). I have ordered one and am waiting - this is a 1:6 grail from my 70's childhood, can't believe with all of the obscure licenses that have had toys over the years it's only happening now, but glad it is!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Fans should probably grab the Amok Time figures of Maureen Robinson, John Robinson, Major West, Dr Smith, and the Keeper, from EBay or wherever, before those figures go way up in price due to the 1/6 robot becoming available -- if that effect hasn't happened already.

·
2,599 Posts
Pretty cool, they also do a Cylon in 1/6, not a classic one though.

CHEERS!
I have that one. Just haven't gotten the nerve up to start cutting it up to add onto a 1:6 figure yet.
The treads certainly do look operable, which, of course, leads me to begin thinking RC.

I have just the motors for the job, too...

@Ironman,
Let me know about those treads, please. Thanks.
I will. Alas, it did not arrive in today's mail.
Majestic Studios (Collection DX) also made a 1/6 modern Cylon that was pretty awesome, though a bit limited in articulation. (http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/2007/16_battlestar_galactica_cylon_centurion) Had him next to Robby and I thought, "Robby can take him ...." Amok Time (I think it was) made 1/6 Gold and Silver classic Cylons and many other classic BSG figs.
Majestic made silver and gold cylons, Apollo, Adama and Starbuck from the classic series. Amok Time picked up after Majestic died and reissued the two cylons. They had plans for Boomer, Cain, Lucifer, Athena... but the customer support just wasn't there.

·
2,599 Posts
Man the Robot still has not arrived. If I knew it was going to take this long I would have driven the 2 3/4 hours to the place and picked it up. Estimated delivery was tues - thurs. but according to tracking they didn't even ship it until thursday afternoon.
<sigh> maybe tomorrow. :(

·
2,599 Posts
Ok, finally the B9 has landed. Upon opening the box I immediately realized one very important thing. I have not put a model together in a very long time. There are a LOT more parts than I was hoping for.
Good news - it does appear to be sized to fit in with the existing Lost in Space figures.
Bad news - the treads are not rubber but molded into the piece.
Also the arms are molded and do mot allow for much posing. I kknow its a model and, as such, posing isn't the priority but rubber/wired arms would have been a nice touch. I may see what I can find to substitute for them and make him a bit more "play worthy"
And the dome is two parts so that there will be a visible seam in it.

Overall, I have my work cut out for me. I want to paint it up to look accurate but not sure the best way to do that yet. I am also considering getting two extra to paint up as the versions when he was gold and when he was black and white.

I will post pix as he gets underway.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok, finally the B9 has landed. Upon opening the box I immediately realized one very important thing. I have not put a model together in a very long time. There are a LOT more parts than I was hoping for.
Good news - it does appear to be sized to fit in with the existing Lost in Space figures.
Bad news - the treads are not rubber but molded into the piece.
Also the arms are molded and do mot allow for much posing. I kknow its a model and, as such, posing isn't the priority but rubber/wired arms would have been a nice touch. I may see what I can find to substitute for them and make him a bit more "play worthy"
And the dome is two parts so that there will be a visible seam in it.

Overall, I have my work cut out for me. I want to paint it up to look accurate but not sure the best way to do that yet. I am also considering getting two extra to paint up as the versions when he was gold and when he was black and white.

I will post pix as he gets underway.
Yeah, I sometimes post to the Hobby Talk model kit forum. When I suggested that flexible arms would have been a good option to include with this kit (and simple and inexpensive to make) the moderator of the forum became outraged threatened to ban me. Seems he doesn't like anyone who doesn't blindly praise model kits. Anyway- that was my concern too, the arms. But sad to hear the treads are also molded. That sucks. Are they are least separate pieces or molded onto the "feet"? I still haven't received mine yet.

Sean

·
2,599 Posts
I didn't debag everything but they appear molded onto the feet.
There must be something that will substitute for the arms. I guess I will need to summon that greatest of foes - patience and see what happens.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,928 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recollect some years back when Sci-Fi Metropolis apparently secured the LIS license for 1:6 figure in which a few were produced and the others may not have seen light of day . . . didn't they supposedly announce/have plans for a 1:6 Robot from LIS?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I didn't debag everything but they appear molded onto the feet.
There must be something that will substitute for the arms. I guess I will need to summon that greatest of foes - patience and see what happens.
Ironman1188, Space Crawler, thanks for the info. I am on balance pretty happy to read the info from you guys. Sure there are three disappointments where the threads aren't separate, the arms aren't movable at all, and the dome will have a clear seam at the halfway point -- but by and large, those things are to be expected from a Hobby Kit molded process. There may or may not be ways to make those three things better -- but thankfully the full 13" height and scale are there. If the height wasn't there, that would have been largely unfixable, and it would have been so infuriating if they made it too small, just to make it a bit cheaper. So being relieved of that worry I am a bit more forgiving on the rest.

Maybe drilling small in/out holes and gluing a rubber thread over the molded thread would work - maybe using a narrow thread strip from some small model tank etc.

For the arms, maybe a piece of hose from a handheld vacuum cleaner? possibly with a piece of thin wire inside, Major Matt Mason style? Really the kit should at least have provided optional parts to have "compressed" vs "expanded" arms, and maybe a couple of position choices, even if not articulated. I have a feeling someone will quickly market an unofficial upgrade kit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recollect some years back when Sci-Fi Metropolis apparently secured the LIS license for 1:6 figure in which a few were produced and the others may not have seen light of day . . . didn't they supposedly announce/have plans for a 1:6 Robot from LIS?
Yes, in addition to the figures already released SciFi Metropolis said they planned on a Robot, Will Robinson, Judy and Penny, and a female alien figure (the Judy and Penny are still online for pre-order at certain retailers but I'm not sure they will ever be released). They also had some really amazing other stuff prototyped, like a 1:6 Space Pod and some outfit sets.

Most of that stuff was still on their website but seems to have vanished in recent years. Supposedly the owner of the company had some bad accident that left him unable to operate the company, which accounts for the delay in releases and ghost ship status of the company and website.

Only recently did they finally release a Don figure, which was a surprise, but I guess it was really limited. I got most of my figures years ago at a deep discount on ebay from a guy who worked for the company (his name was listed on their website but for some reason he was pretending he didn't work for them or have any knowledge of the company when selling the figures). Sci Fi Metropolis is surrounded by weirdness.

Sean

·
Registered
479 Posts
Oooo...toughy. I have a Japanese YM3 model that I haven't touched yet. Problem is...its over 18 inches tall and not 1/6th scale. There's a voicebox inside that by the flip of a switch makes all the Robot calls in his voice, but Japanese language. Sounds funny too! The arms are accordian flexible tubes but the tracks are also molded in. One day I'll find a suitable replacement but recently I was looking at a WallE figure that had smaller tracks similar maybe to what you seek. As for the arms, there are several manufacturers of plastic accordian tubing...just have to find the right diameter. The skeleton support of the arm is a whole new matter to consider.....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Happy memories...
Watching LiS on cable...
Holds up well even these days...
Blast from the pasts...

>>>

1 - 20 of 20 Posts