One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some feedback on this horse, he may have a chance to get cast, and I want to know what people think of him. If you see anything wrong, speak up, you cannot hurt my feelings! Is this Quarter Horse type something you would want, or is there another type/breed/position that would be more practical for mass producing? He is comparable to the Asmus horse for size. He would be painted many different colors, and some would have sculpted manes, some hair. Horse Liver Working animal Plant Terrestrial animal Horse Working animal Liver Horse supplies Fawn Horse Working animal Liver Eyelash Grass Horse Working animal Liver Terrestrial animal Fawn Horse Plant Hat Working animal Halter

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I by no means am an expert on horses. To me the neck looks a little thick. I also think the length of the head may seem a little short. It definitely looks like a horse but the length seems shorter like a donkeys.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Other than the neck and head, I think it looks okay. To me, the neck looks a bit too short and the eyes are off somehow. Perhaps they are too big or it's just the way that they are painted. Images of American Quarter Horses are plentiful. It shouldn't be too hard to make comparisons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As always, price is a factor too.

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
Is this not Luis Aguilar's " Old Man " ? Does he intend to go into some kind of mass production of it ? If so, in which medium ? More info please...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this is project is going to have to be scrapped and started over. A lot of people think it's Old Man, I had Old Man on my work table for reference, along with many Quarter Horse pictures, I seem to inadvertently copied Old Man too much, it wasn't intentional. I have a contact who wanted to cast a muscular Quarter Horse, so this is what I came up with. Back to the drawing board.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think the body is fine the way it is. Make the neck a little thinner, the size of the head a little smaller, and the length a little longer and you have a winner. But as someone said, the price has to be reasonable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a couple works in progress, they obviously need a lot more work, but does anyone think either of them have casting potential? Also, any suggestions for alterations to them, it can be easily done at this stage.
Horse Working animal Liver Terrestrial animal Pack animal Horse Sculpture Working animal Liver Wood

·
Registered
488 Posts
Looks cool, but are the legs a little short? Might just be lens distortion.

I would love if someone made a mule or donkey. I think that is one animal that lots of people would like. The Dragon donkey/mules are impossible to find and expensive when you do.

Sean

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
I prefer the second one, which has a lot of potential. I realise you are thinking mostly of Western horses, but it would also do for European cavalry figures. Perhaps a bit more work on the head, which seem a little heavy in both models ? Having done half a dozen myself, I do realise how very difficult it is to get the head right.
But keep going !

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Hi Jean, I think these all have merit and I envy your skill. Of the two WIP horses, I like the second one better - if you have more than one, the "head up" pose would be better for every use, and I appreciate the horse without his head turned, as most mass sculpts seem to go with. Perhaps a little less flare to the nostrils. I am more interested in military horses, so larger and leaner works better for me, and I also prefer a solid stance like these have to an action pose that can fall over. Obviously you can't make us all happy, but the fact that you're looking for input is more than the big manufacturers do. Bravo and keep at it.
(I'll throw in another vote for a mule if that ever works for you!)

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,198 Posts
I'm very much with markh166 : head up simple standing poses are by far the most useful, and it's essential that the animal can stand up on its own without props or whatever.I realise that you cater for a mostly Western clientele, but I'm sure there's a compromise animal around 15h, fairly lean but slightly short in the back , which would be really useful for both Western figures and European historical types. Most Napoleonic cavalry horses were not very big, 14 to 15h rather than larger, so you don't have to make an enormous long-backed thoroughbred.
But please keep at it !

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great work!!, I am on the same opinion than markh166 and Tony. As the polivalente the horse is, the more potencial customers you will have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys! I realize I can't please everybody, and when I got involved with an outfit in China that will reproduce horses cheaply, the deal was the horse has to be one they can sell also, and we are having trouble agreeing on what's the best type. I made the chunky Quarter horse, because that's what he wanted, but it would be only useful for western, not military. Those two horses I grabbed out of my stockpile of half done horses were not intended for potential casting, I just pulled them out to replace the Quarter horse, and see what the majority wants. I am going to work on them, or perhaps start a new one, that will fill the most needs, and the contact in China has agreed to go with the feedback from the public. I agree with you guys, standing, head alert, leaner and fit. No particular breed. If anyone wants to add pictures of what they want a horse to look like, I would appreciate that also. I also REALLY want to do a mule, but that will be my own project, and I will try and cast it myself. I already cast my own saddle trees, something the size of a horse may be a little challenging. The guy in China wasn't remotely interested in doing a mule, and thought I was crazy for suggesting it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts