One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having just read Lone Survivor, I am motivated to do a SEAL bash based on this book. Luttrell mentions that he wore desert camo pants (3-color I would assume) and a woodland top. I am curious as to whether the top would just be a woodland bdu top or a parka. I am leaning towards the bdu top, but was interested in other opinions.

Concerning his weapon, he carried a Mk 12 rifle. Based on pics I have seen, it would most likely have a solid stock such as that from an M16. He mentions that he has a laser sight as well. Would this be something like a PEQ attached to the rifle, which I haven't seen in pics, or something else?

Hopefully, I can figure this out and put together a decent bash.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
This pic shows James Suh and Marcus Luttrell from the team. Possible that the rifle Suh is carrying might be the one Luttrell had?

Most pics show the team members in DCUs, and Luttrell wearing various headgear (ball cap, boonie, what appears to be an Army Special Forces half head ballistic combat helmet). Note his Texas flag patch, one on his left arm, the other on his chest (right arm unknown). I'm guessing the BDU "top" would be just that, if he calls it that.

More pics of the team here.

It seems that Peter Berg may be directing the film-version of Lone Survivor. I like Berg, and believe he'd do the SEALs justice.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Regarding who the bash is modelled on, it is at times in deference to the family and friends of the fallen. A tribute work may or may not be received in the spirit it's done, perhaps dependent on the passage of time.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys, its been helpful. I had seen many of the photos from the web, but the ones on the site for Matt Axelson I hadn't seen yet. The pictures are great, but it is a bit saddening to know that many of the guys in the photos gave their lives.

As far as the exact person I am basing this on, I wasn't planning on doing a single person per se, more of a "inspired by" type of figure. I don't know that I can do any of the people involved justice.

I am using the TS 5th anniversary SEAL set as a basis and moving from there. I have a Dragon Mk 12/SR-25/SPR that I am going to mod by adding a suppressor and painting/weathering.

As far as the woodland top, I haven't picked one up yet. Which one would you recommend (TS, ACE, HT, etc.)?

Thanks again guys, you have been a great help!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I thought the MK11 designation was for the SR25 series and MK12 is for the M16/SPR rifle series..that pic of Matt Axelson(R.I.P) is him with a MK12 Mod1..the difference is it has a RAS/RAIL system whereas the ones available in 1/6 are the MK12 Mod0..an earlier model. The way I make my MK12s is with either the rifle from DML John Tiano or a M16A4. A good suppressor for the SR25 or in general is using .250' round styrene tubing...I use a K&S pipe cutter to get the grooves you have at either end of the suppressor as in the pics above of the rifles.

FDBMath, as for uniform, I like the older ACE SF modified woodland from the Green Beret CQB set since it has the ripstop pattern or the DML ultra pattern ones.. http://www.monkeydepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4234

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Your right, mistake on my part. Dragon has an SR-25 in the Spec Ops Sniper Set 1 carded set. I am going to use it as the basis for the Mk 12 since it is a fairly good representation from what I can see in terms of pics on the net. Well, truthfully, that and I am lazy.

Anyways, at this point, I have been working on creating a suppressor for it and have found that the inner tubing of a mechanical pencil I had lying around fits pretty decently. I am using this pic of a real one as a basis for comparison and bashing prior to painting and weathering:

Here are the pics of what I have now:

and the other side:

I am not sold on the length of the suppressor and there are a few other areas that I will work on as well (such as improving the legs of the bipod)

Thanks everyone for the input and the help. This novice greatly appreciates it.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Just cut of the front of the SR-25 and slap it on a M16A3/A4 and youll have your Mk12.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
If Luttrell says he was carrying a Mk12, you'll definitely want the 5.56 NATO version, i.e. a different rifle. What you've modified so far is the 7.62 NATO rifle (note upper recvr and large magazine) - a Mk11.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
SPR = Mk12
SR-25 = Mk 11
SR-25 New and Improved = (X)M110

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got off my rear and did some bashing to create something closer to a Mk 12. I posted it here since this forum is primarily about full scale references and questions. Though it is far from perfect, I think it captures the look and, more importantly, the size of what I am looking for. Off to the paintshed to finish it.

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts