One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I might need to turn in my man card, but my collection now includes a Ken doll, sort of.

As part of the festivities celebrating the golden anniversary of Star Trek, Mattel released several figures of characters through the Barbie line. There were some that were merely Barbie and Ken in Starfleet, but others were more realistic. The Orion slave girl was a San Diego Comic-con exclusive, but Kirk, Spock and Uhura were general releases.

Kirk was a bit underwhelming, but Spock looked pretty good, so the missus got me one as an early Valentine's Day gift.

Unboxed:

So how does he stack up with other 1/6 releases?

First, with a few vintage Space travelers:

With contemporary 1/6 figs:

From Left to right, Power Team, BBi G1, Spock, Sideshow Toys, DML:

Overall, Spock is a decent figure, but you can definitely tell where Mattel cut corners. He's extremely thin and light compared to every other figure. It's a super-articulated Ken, but still falls far short.

Velcro closures and cheap boots:

-Nate

·
IS HE LIVE OR IS HE DEAD?
2,599 Posts
The ONLY, 50th Trek released by Mattel were the Kirk, Spock, Uhura and Orion slave. The Ken Barbie in Trek uniforms are from the 30th anniversary.
Overall, this Trek line has been great from Mattel. The pants and shirt fit a DML figure with no problem. All Mattel's boots pretty much have the slit in the back. Its for ease of removal. A strip of gorilla glue can help keep those closed if its that big of a bother. The shirts, while using velcro, if closed patiently it is almost unnoticeable. paired with a phaser and communicator from the Playmates 9" line [barbies are always too small though they at least have opening comms] these are a great addition to a Trek collection.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Spock does look to be the best of the bunch, but I think it's a pretty damn good looking figure. Congrats.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I guess there's a "Barbie Improved World" that spins out of the Barbie Made To Move body, and now comprises these 3+1 Trek figures, the 3 Batman vs Superman figures, and the SDCC She-Ra. The BvS Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman hit discounting before Christmas, and She-Ra could be had cheap when all of MattyCollector went down, but so far I think the Trek ones hold their price apart from routine occasional TRU-US revolving % discounts. Which is too bad also because I wouldn't want more than one Batman, but I'd probably buy multiple Blue and Beige Trek figures as Army Builders. I doubt the pants would fit say a PTE body, but do you think the shirt would be stretchy enough? I am envisioning some set-up with the Qmx Kirk and Spock up front, and Mattel conversions making a support team.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.